Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,605 times

Advertisements

Purist here...if they're collectible, keep 'em stock, right down to the lug nuts! I've had several Mustangs and modified my 1973 Mach I with a blueprinted and balanced 351 Cleveland engine with all the goodies inside and out, put the battery in the trunk, ripped out the AC, added factory accessories that the car didn't have like the center console and front air dam and this one was as unreliable as the day is long! All in the interest of street racing and putting the boys on the side of the road. I later sold the car in the late 80s for $1200. If it was stock and original, it would have been worth a lot more.
Now I have a (DO NOT LAUGH! We also have a 1977 Corvette!) mint condition bone-stock 1981 VW Rabbit LS Diesel, equipped with original Chastain Shadow louvers (remember those??), which is, beleive it or not, collectible. My kid has a '78 and is dumping it to the ground, adding bigger wheels and baloney-skin tires, shaving the door handles and adding a turbo. Which car is worth more? Mine.
It's human nature to customize your possessions...cars and trucks are fine examples. Make it your own. Camry or not, if it makes you happy, go for it. We're not talking future collectibility here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 03:23 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterLady View Post
Purist here...if they're collectible, keep 'em stock, right down to the lug nuts! I've had several Mustangs and modified my 1973 Mach I with a blueprinted and balanced 351 Cleveland engine with all the goodies inside and out, put the battery in the trunk, ripped out the AC, added factory accessories that the car didn't have like the center console and front air dam and this one was as unreliable as the day is long! All in the interest of street racing and putting the boys on the side of the road. I later sold the car in the late 80s for $1200. If it was stock and original, it would have been worth a lot more.
Now I have a (DO NOT LAUGH! We also have a 1977 Corvette!) mint condition bone-stock 1981 VW Rabbit LS Diesel, equipped with original Chastain Shadow louvers (remember those??), which is, beleive it or not, collectible. My kid has a '78 and is dumping it to the ground, adding bigger wheels and baloney-skin tires, shaving the door handles and adding a turbo. Which car is worth more? Mine.
It's human nature to customize your possessions...cars and trucks are fine examples. Make it your own. Camry or not, if it makes you happy, go for it. We're not talking future collectibility here.

Thank you so very much for your insight!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:46 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Depending on what it was....to me a Camry is a throw away commuter car, and I don't even know if there's much of an aftermarket that supports them, so I most likely wouldn't do much in terms of mods to one.

Well maybe I'd throw on a Folgers fart can muffler and some stickers and maybe one of those Pep Boys aluminum wings and then claim I was the Billy Bad Ass in town giving you the loser fly by in a race and claiming a victory.

Now if we're talking about true muscle, I'd do engine mods, exhaust and intake mods.....and depending on how original the car was to start with I'd do suspension upgrades to make the old iron beast handle like it's on rails. Yes believe it or not it's quite possible.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez nuttz View Post
depending on what it was....to me a camry is a throw away commuter car, and i don't even know if there's much of an aftermarket that supports them, so i most likely wouldn't do much in terms of mods to one.

well maybe i'd throw on a folgers fart can muffler and some stickers and maybe one of those pep boys aluminum wings and then claim i was the billy bad ass in town giving you the loser fly by in a race and claiming a victory. :d

now if we're talking about true muscle, i'd do engine mods, exhaust and intake mods.....and depending on how original the car was to start with i'd do suspension upgrades to make the old iron beast handle like it's on rails. Yes believe it or not it's quite possible.

lmfao!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Also, modding any car that has a mundane, PRNDL321 type automatic transmission, to make it look like a performance car makes me smh.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
OK, one mod that would make sense in a twisted way: At least on the Camrys that use 3S-FE 4-cylinder engines - with some plumbing, you can make the 3S-GTE turbo engine, which is on essentially the same block, fit.

Google "Wraith Camry". Quite a sleeper really.

But you probably don't want to go there.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:59 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
I'm into the simpler mods that allow for more air in and more air out. Also, since I drive V8s, I like to add an aftermarket exhaust for the better sound.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'm into the simpler mods that allow for more air in and more air out. Also, since I drive V8s, I like to add an aftermarket exhaust for the better sound.
Nothing beats a KnN filter and cold air intake! Customize the exhaust if possible for better gas mileage and a tad bit more power...

Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Ive modified many of my cars, some very extensively. The question you have to ask yourself is: is it worth modifying? Would I modify a Camry? No. But, thats YOUR prerogative, you do what YOU want to do.

Most cars I would modify in several forms or another. I prefer all-go-no-show type mods, so I go for engine/suspension upgrades more than anything. Some cars are prime for modification (ie Civics, SRT-4, etc). Others are NOT prime for modding (ie Integra Type-R, etc) because theyre already near-perfect from factory.

So my final answer? Yes, I would modify a car ONLY if it required so.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OK, one mod that would make sense in a twisted way: At least on the Camrys that use 3S-FE 4-cylinder engines - with some plumbing, you can make the 3S-GTE turbo engine, which is on essentially the same block, fit.

Google "Wraith Camry". Quite a sleeper really.

But you probably don't want to go there.
I work for Lexus/Toyota so I can pull some strings but isn't that an old engine? Besides I own an 08 Camry so I don't think it would work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive