Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Only 5-6 lbs of boost!!!!

Sorry to miss the part about 5-6 LBS of Boost depending on the tuning which has "ABSOLUTELY NO HELP" it's wrong guys.

Just remember, we're talking about a stock engine which came non turbo from factory. You know what to do if you want more boost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
A factory stock engine is capable of putting out a specific HP up to a REDLINE without blowing up. Continue usage of going over the REDLINE safty point will eventually ruin the engine. All knowledged people know this.

Adding a TURBO to the top end will give more HP going thru the gears on a stock factory engine.

Beefing up the engine internally along with some head work also is helpful. This of course will enable the engine to go way over the stock REDLINE limits.

Now with the TURBO..."Draw or Blow" is what has to be decided upon. Engine setup determines this.

There are different brands of TURBO units on the MKT and each brand will have a model for a specific size engine. Factory assembly line cars (some) have a TURBO the size of a mans fist. This is nothing but a money maker for the factory...granted it does give a little kick in the rear for some people but way too expensive in my book.

Depending on the size of engine a "RIGHT" size of TURBO needs to be installed. Too large of a unit will be defeating a persons intentions. Bigger is not always better. Changing one part will make a difference.

Could give some of my R&D results but will leave that to you guys to read the book and learn thru experience. Study it carefully and your car will kick butt when needed. Nothing like having someone trying to pass you and all you do is press down slowly on the gas pedal to pull away from them. This is in a street car I'm talking about and not at the track.

Research carefully before putting down the money on any TURBO. Study what has to be done to it in order to enhance the BOOST. Steve

Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
On a standard set up usually between $3500 to $4500, you probably get about 5 to 6 lbs maybe a little more
You can find prices cheaper than that (by quite a bit) that run more boost.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 AM

Sorry guys...it's not the price of the TURBO that gives you BOOST.

Price has nothing to do with it...size also does not make any difference.

SMALL or LARGE...the BOOST will be the same for the size unit in question.

Example...18 wheeler with a huge TURBO...5 LBS of BOOST.

The size of the TURBO will vary depending on the size of the engine needs.

I will stress one more time...what you do to the TURBO unit itself will give the high BOOST.

Like the saying goes "it's not what you have but what you do with it".

Steve

Old 01-20-2009, 09:40 AM

12GO; Reread your reply to my post.

Let me see now...Top Fuel...FC...run up to 1000 HP on Nitro and melt the pistons.

You will run 24-27 LBS of Boost on pump gas...that weed your smoking sure is strong.

I ran my rail (w/carbs and NOS) and still melted a piston on 114 octane blue.

On pump gas your engine will disintegrate with what your proposing.

John Force would like to know your secret.

My Turbo knowledge is small compared to a guy I know whose rail has 30LBS of Boost on the green light at the strip and chirps the tires when his auto tranny hits 2nd gear...now thats kickin butt.

Do you have this knowledge or is it all theory and no application at this point. Talk is cheap...show me some proof and the results.

Saw a jet powered rail go 10.52 in the 1/4 and my small VW did it in 10.02 at 133MPH with carbs. I keep my time slips as proof of performance. I ran a 9.99 I/D index in my class.

My present Turbo setup is in a street car and not for the strip. The 4 cyl that I built is at 175 HP and with the Boost will make 200 HP.

So much for braggin...still cannot understand what you propose based on my Turbo knowledge and results.

Steve

Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,644 times
although a huge waste of money, there is no greater appearance improvement than the correct set of rims. by doing all kinds of other stuff you can really kill a cars appeal. heres a small list of things i believe look horrible on a car. in no particular order.

1. a huge wing
2. chrome trim
3. painted interior
4. a terrible paint scheme
5. a huge muffler that sticks out the back, and obviously doesn't fit the car.
6. putting on every piece of crap accesory you can find at autozone(more common on trucks)
7. some body kit that does not fit the car at all.
8. some cheap hood scoop(or worse, those add ons that don't actually do anything).
9. IN CAPITALS. DO NOT...DO NOT... DO NOT... PUT A STICKER ON THE CAR THAT SAYS NISSAN...OR ALTIMA. EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT KIND OF CAR YOU HAVE.

KEEP IT CLEAN.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

My Turbo knowledge is small compared to a guy I know whose rail has 30LBS of Boost on the green light at the strip and chirps the tires when his auto tranny hits 2nd gear...now thats kickin butt.

Steve
Chirping 2nd gear in a street car with auto trans on the drag strip is now kicking butt?

I just wanted to clarify.

I like turns myself-- both left AND right.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
although a huge waste of money, there is no greater appearance improvement than the correct set of rims. by doing all kinds of other stuff you can really kill a cars appeal. heres a small list of things i believe look horrible on a car. in no particular order.

1. a huge wing
2. chrome trim
3. painted interior
4. a terrible paint scheme
5. a huge muffler that sticks out the back, and obviously doesn't fit the car.
6. putting on every piece of crap accesory you can find at autozone(more common on trucks)
7. some body kit that does not fit the car at all.
8. some cheap hood scoop(or worse, those add ons that don't actually do anything).
9. IN CAPITALS. DO NOT...DO NOT... DO NOT... PUT A STICKER ON THE CAR THAT SAYS NISSAN...OR ALTIMA. EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT KIND OF CAR YOU HAVE.

KEEP IT CLEAN.
...and kids, aftermarket mufflers on 4 cylinder cars make your car sound like a lawnmower or leaf blower. Don't fool yourself into thinking you got that V8 burbbly sound, the only thing that will sound like a V8 is a V8 engine. Just say no to aftermarket mufflers.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
...and kids, aftermarket mufflers on 4 cylinder cars make your car sound like a lawnmower or leaf blower. Don't fool yourself into thinking you got that V8 burbbly sound, the only thing that will sound like a V8 is a V8 engine. Just say no to aftermarket mufflers.

Aftermarket $89 fart cans yes. A real good aftermarket exhaust system nah!!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM

A dragster with 30 LBS of boost off the line and hitting 2nd gear in a auto tranny actually screeches and not a chirp was only a polite term for it. My point was to point out the power of the Turbo.

In 1953 I had a 1949 cad Convertible while in college. I chirped my tires even then at Pomona after the track opened up. So that is not new to me as I go Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to drag racing. Got beat by a Lincoln via a foot on eliminations. My RT has improved a lot since those days. I now can cut a pretty good light after learning what to do with no one teaching me.

Today it is possible to chirp just about any car on the street. On the track depending on what tires your running and the HP the engine puts out a person wants contact and no smoking/spinning of the tires which will drop your ET and speed. The NHRA circuit shows that at all the meets.

I'm a former NHRA licensed driver/owner of a dragster that was certified and I had the physical and drivers test runs signed off for 6 passes as required.

How many out there have or did have a NHRA drivers license?

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive