Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

OK V1 owners, a major complaint I seem to remember about V1s is they don't have an "alert-then-mute" feature, meaning you either have to listen to it chirping away at you for the entire time it detects the threat, or you have to turn audible alarms off altogether. Is this still the case?

EDIT: Another question, does it make an audible distinction between X, K, Ka, etc., or is it the same sound no matter what it picks up?

Last edited by Drover; 01-28-2009 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Good questions. You can adjust the initial audio volume and the muted volume independently. You do have to push the volume knob in to acknowledge the alert to get it to the muted volume. In "little L" logic mode, radar contacts that the built-in firmware considers "non-threatening" come on only at the muted volume. In "big L" logic, the non-threatening contacts have no audio response at all, I forget if it lights up the arrows or not. I always use "little L" mode.

X, K, Ka and Laser each have their distinctive sound, although I don't think the distinction between K and Ka is very apparent, but at the same time I don't care that much about the difference - round here the K is *usually* a cop, and Ka is always a cop.

I don't know if you can use the customizing features to create a "alarm and then mute" that happens automatic or not. I personally wouldn't want it, and I think Maximum Mike would give it the thumbs down as well.

If an alarm that I have to push a button to silence is good enough for a commercial nuclear power plant, I guess it's good enough for a radar detector as well.

If for some reason you want to or have to mount the V-1 in a place where the knob is hard to reach, there is a remote unit you can get (I have one but have not yet tried it - thinking about using it on a bike) that moves the knob and the arrows/bogie count to the little remote)

Go to the V-1 website, there is a lot of info there.

The V-1 is a "performance" detector, not a "comfort and convenience" detector.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:38 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK V1 owners, a major complaint I seem to remember about V1s is they don't have an "alert-then-mute" feature, meaning you either have to listen to it chirping away at you for the entire time it detects the threat, or you have to turn audible alarms off altogether. Is this still the case?

EDIT: Another question, does it make an audible distinction between X, K, Ka, etc., or is it the same sound no matter what it picks up?
Just now reading the owners manuel.
"X-band alerts (Beep) are often found at long distances. K and Ka bands are usually detected at closer range,and alerts on those frequencies are much more likely to be radar. so V1 makes a different sound(Brap) to warn you of these more urgent threats (bogeys)"
Still looking for the ans. to your first ?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Good questions. You can adjust the initial audio volume and the muted volume independently. You do have to push the volume knob in to acknowledge the alert to get it to the muted volume. In "little L" logic mode, radar contacts that the built-in firmware considers "non-threatening" come on only at the muted volume. In "big L" logic, the non-threatening contacts have no audio response at all, I forget if it lights up the arrows or not. I always use "little L" mode.

X, K, Ka and Laser each have their distinctive sound, although I don't think the distinction between K and Ka is very apparent, but at the same time I don't care that much about the difference - round here the K is *usually* a cop, and Ka is always a cop.

I don't know if you can use the customizing features to create a "alarm and then mute" that happens automatic or not. I personally wouldn't want it, and I think Maximum Mike would give it the thumbs down as well.

If an alarm that I have to push a button to silence is good enough for a commercial nuclear power plant, I guess it's good enough for a radar detector as well.

If for some reason you want to or have to mount the V-1 in a place where the knob is hard to reach, there is a remote unit you can get (I have one but have not yet tried it - thinking about using it on a bike) that moves the knob and the arrows/bogie count to the little remote)

Go to the V-1 website, there is a lot of info there.

The V-1 is a "performance" detector, not a "comfort and convenience" detector.
Well, "performance" and "comfort/convenience" are not mutually exclusive, and my car isn't a nuclear power plant either. I don't want a detector that's going to beep at me the entire time while I'm within 2 miles of a grocery store. I don't see why you can't get that and performance at the same time. That said, pushing a knob to shut it up is a definite improvement over previous versions where you had to listen to every warning at full volume until you were out of range.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 PM

ShelbyGirl, I don't know how much you travel up/down the coast at all, but there are some departments in the Southeast that still use X band. It's also still widely used in New Jersey -- I think NJ state troopers still use it.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:

To ans. your first ?....Yes, it appears this still is the case.
"During any alert, press the Control Knob. Audio vol will drop to the muted level."

Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 PM

Shelby, well that I can live with as long as you get to adjust the mute level. In previous versions of the V1, you had to either listen to the alert at full blast until you were out of range, or turn the volume down until you were out of range and hope you remember to turn it back up.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
ShelbyGirl, I don't know how much you travel up/down the coast at all, but there are some departments in the Southeast that still use X band. It's also still widely used in New Jersey -- I think NJ state troopers still use it.
Thanks for the heads up. Do make it occasionally to Joisey...born and raised there...but for the most part, our drives are usually here on the Gulf Coast.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Since we plan on using this baby on the way home from picking up the R8...gave it to DH last night. LOL...He likes it! And says to thank you guys! He is thinking we may even need to order another...but we'll see. He also thinks he will hardwire it this time, as he hates those stupid cords hanging around.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:58 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Shelby, well that I can live with as long as you get to adjust the mute level. In previous versions of the V1, you had to either listen to the alert at full blast until you were out of range, or turn the volume down until you were out of range and hope you remember to turn it back up.

You can adjust the mute level with the outer ring that is around the volume knob.

When you press it once, it will mute. If a 2nd radar is detected, it will alert with a double-beep and then continue at the muted level. If the two radars are on different bands, you will hear the tone of the most "threatening".

The remote display is good because some people recognize those HUGE infamous arrows and will use your V1 by riding your ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive