Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,051 times

Advertisements

I drive a stick shift and I love it. I really don't care for automatics at all. I like to pick my own shift points thankyouverymuch, and a manual transmission is for me much more positive. Currently I'm just aching for a C6 Corvette, probably the Z06, with the six speed manual. I really don't understand why they put an automatic in the Corvette at all, it's a sports car fer pete's sake! To my mind an automatic in a Vette is simply heresy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
I never had an automatic until my last car (well, let's forget some of the garage queens)....
Could drive a stick shift when 12 years old. WAY more control and flexibility. Doug Nash 5-speed or a Lenco made my day. You get to pick when, where and how you shift. An automatic, you just sit there and steer. Personally, despise automatics.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I drive a stick shift and I love it. I really don't care for automatics at all. I like to pick my own shift points thankyouverymuch, and a manual transmission is for me much more positive. Currently I'm just aching for a C6 Corvette, probably the Z06, with the six speed manual. I really don't understand why they put an automatic in the Corvette at all, it's a sports car fer pete's sake! To my mind an automatic in a Vette is simply heresy!
heck from 1984-1988 the C4 Corvette only came with an Automatic or the very Rare 4+3 Doug Nash Manual "overdrive" tranny which but C4 Corvettes are dirt cheap these days esp the L98 versions.

Heck even nice Low Mileage 92-96 LT1 6-speed T-56 Manual Tranny C4 Corvette Coupe can be found for $10K in great shape these days.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I never had an automatic until my last car (well, let's forget some of the garage queens)....
Could drive a stick shift when 12 years old. WAY more control and flexibility. Doug Nash 5-speed or a Lenco made my day. You get to pick when, where and how you shift. An automatic, you just sit there and steer. Personally, despise automatics.
See post #462. I also pick when, where and how to shift my '66 Plymouth. (Yes, I was in complete "control" of the car.) And I find automatics very practical. In my top ten dream garage would be a '69 Dodge Super 440-6 pack with a 4-speed manual transmission, but also a '69 Dodge Coronet R/T 440 with an automatic transmission. They (autos and manuals) both have desirable factors.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 PM

307 posts, read 685,041 times
I prefer stick. I only have an auto because my wife can't drive a stick. I drive an 18 wheeler for a living, so i shift gears all day. An of course i have to shift gears on my motorcycle. So for me, it's first nature to shift gears.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
I always drove stick shift until I inherited my mom's 05 DeVille Cad. I had 2 Accords and a Volvo that were stick. I liked having control over the car and being able to control it. Had a Camry with auto and it always was aggravating. If you have stop and go traffic on the freeway or expressway, stick would get tiring.
BTW, I NEVER burned up a clutch and all cars had way over a 100K miles on them when I got rid of them.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 PM

387 posts, read 680,251 times
I drive a stick. I love a manual transmisson. Out of the dozens of friends I have & hundreds of people I know I can only think of 5 of them who know how to drive stick & have a stick shift car. My last 4 cars purchased have been manual's.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:05 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
I only got an automatic after 6 years of not owning a car due to the vehicle having a small Diesel and 4x4.
To me it's a shame that we don't have a wider selection of manuals and Diesels here in the states than they do in European and Oceania countries.
Maybe I'll see about getting a transmission swap done on this thing in the near-future after paying it off.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
All of my cars have been gifts and automatics so I didn't really get to choose. Ill probably stick with the auto though...don't fit what works is how I'm thinking.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I only got an automatic after 6 years of not owning a car due to the vehicle having a small Diesel and 4x4.
To me it's a shame that we don't have a wider selection of manuals and Diesels here in the states than they do in European and Oceania countries.
Maybe I'll see about getting a transmission swap done on this thing in the near-future after paying it off.
Yeah, well...I'm pretty sure Oz and that part of the world don't have US emissions standards. It's a lot easier getting a vehicle certified by the EPA types when you can make tweaks with a computer controlled auto trans.

Besides, the way I've seen some brag about not shifting their manual trans equipped vehicles above 2,000 revs, so much for manual trans drivers knowing how to drive stick and doing it for MPGs...

("Former" stickshifter...if I feel the need for and the room to stash a convertible, I'd go back.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive