Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 AM

169 posts, read 284,084 times

Advertisements

My first car was a 1975 Datsun B210 4 speed manual. I had to learn how to drive it. I never regretted it either. I have had more automatics than stick shift cars, but I still know how to drive one. In fact one of my cars is a stick. A 1994 Ford Ranger. I am so glad I know how to drive a stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Default Stick shift

I learned on an ancient MG-A without any functioning synchros in the 4 spd tranny. It was great training for the times the cluch would not realease. I can still drive a manual tranny even if I can go quicker on snow with an auto trans and left foot breaking.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I my have mentioned this, but the males in our family prefer stick and the females prefer automating. "Prefer" is a weak word in both cases. Perhaps it should be more like "Almost refucse to drive anything else"

However many new cars the automatic outperform a human driving a manual. THe Ford Double clutch transmissions do this (but it is not know whether these will be maintenance disasters). Crysler has an automotaic the outperforms manuals as well, I think it is the new 8 speed auto, but I am not certain. Even with better economy and performance form autos, our male drivers still prefer stick. It keeps us more in tune with the car and makes driving a fun experience rather than a chore. Still, given the way tings are going, I expect manual transmissions to be essentially gone in ten years. Soon the answer to "who would put an automatic in a corvette" Will be "People who want to go faster or get better mileage"

Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I've driven one for many years. I guess I prefer them. The vehicle I now drive Is 10 years old now. I bought it new and it will be last stick I buy though. Not that I have come to dislike the stick, its just not practical with all the stop and go driving I do where I currently live.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:08 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times
I CAN drive a stick, but I have no real desire to. I see no reason to mess with a clutch pedal when there are DSGs and sport-oriented manumatics around. Even a CVT with a manual mode, if it's programmed right, can shift very quickly and sharply, probably better than I can do with a pedal, so I'm satisfied with that.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Stick shift was the first car I learned on when I was getting my license at 16. I enjoy it to this day but its gotta be on the right kinda car.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
I prefer stick as both of my cars right now are stick.

As for them putting an automatic in the Corvette, I see it as some people who can't drive stick for some reason, maybe a physical reason like a bum knee or something like that, and they shouldn't be excluded.

To me, stick is more fun to drive.

But the biggest setback I've seen from owning 2 cars that are stick is that if you have to trade cars with someone who can't drive stick, it just ain't gonna happen. I can't trade cars with my GF in case I have to run her car to the shop or something like that because she can't drive stick.

I'm a believer that stick is what should be taught starting out (unless you have a bum knee or something else that keeps you from driving stick) because I think it teaches you more awareness. If you're on a hill, it doesn't matter if you're driving an automatic. If you're driving a stick, what are you going to do?

Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Honestly I'm sick of the crazy look car salesmen give me when I ask for a manual tranny. I bought a Jeep a couple years ago and a Nissan hatchback last year and both took a virtual act of god to get them in stick. I'm glad I went through the hassle though.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
I can drive one. We had a Toyota Celica in the family that had a stick. It was a lemon. The fuel delivery system could never be calibrated.

I tried to use it only around town, for short hauls. Then, I was going to road trip to Northern California with a friend. Well, that means including San Francisco. I had to take the Toyota. Holy s-hit. My first road trip into SF, and it's in a manual. Hills were handled with a combination of riding the clutch and pulling up/releasing the parking brake.

I've rented manuals in Europe. I don't like it. It's bad enough to read signs and ward off drivers who might sideswipe you, so I don't want to shift gears. The only mishap I had was one morning, returning a car to the airport on the island of Sardinia. There was a left turn down to a road that then went into the airport. With an approaching car, I turned left and it stalled. I quickly went into neutral and restarted, while that driver slowed down, too. I now get an automatic even when overseas.

Every single car I've personally owned (GM mid-sizes and one Camaro) has had an automatic. That's what I want.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
Love driving manual transmissions. I have owned stick shifts all my life, and aside from my wife's car (she can drive stick, just chooses not to) I only buy 5 or 6 speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive