Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I wonder how many Americans could rent a stick at Heathrow and drive it out into London traffic, shifting with their left hand.
I did it in Scotland, in Edinburgh, during a HUGE sporting event where trucks and busses were everywhere. The shifting wasn't as hard as figuring out where in the lane you were supposed to be at any given time as I wasn't spacially ready to put that much car to the left of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I learned to drive with 3 pedals on the floor and NO gear shift.....decades before the invention of the Auto trannys.
The Model T does not count as a manual transmission, for it did not have a clutch pedal. It had gear pedals.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:41 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapplebaum58 View Post
I markd the quote that offered the closest answer to my question: When was 3 on the tree discontinued? Someone said 1971. And that's probably close. I would've been happier with is was last offered on this particular car, on this particular year. And naturally, Im refering to: Within North America. But I will take what I can get. My last 3 on a tree was a 1970 Chevy (a biscayne I believe) and a 1970 Ford Maverick. Thanks Again. SA
According to several sources, the 1987 Chevrolet/GMC full-size light-duty trucks were the last domestic vehicles to offer a 3-speed manual column shift.

If you are asking about passenger cars rather than trucks, I would say the early 1980s, but by that time, it likely only remained as an advertising price point on the few cars that offered it. Unless a customer did a factory order, probably the only cars so equipped would be the one-of-a-kind stripped down models dealers would sometimes advertise in the newspaper to get you in the door. The last passenger cars I personally saw with 3-speed coulmn shift were a couple of late-1970s Novas, and a co-worker who had a Plymouth Volare (1979 model IIRC).

Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
I've owned one automatic car, and that's because my GF needed a car.
All my other cars are/were manual.
No, driving on hills or in traffic is not hard.
No, I don't think about shifting all the time. If you're good, it's as natural as braking, turning, signaling, merging, etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:35 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
No, driving on hills or in traffic is not hard.
Depends on your definition of "hills" and "traffic". I lived in San Francisco in my younger years with a Toyota Celica with a 5-speed. While I could manage any hill in the City with it, I learned which particularly hairy ones to avoid. Lets just say it wasn't hard, it was challenging.

That said, most people I know who learned to drive when I did (late 70s) could handle a stick. It seemed at least half the Japanese or European cars that were popular in California then had them. Seems to be a lost art now. None of my young nieces and nephews can drive one.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:23 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
I've been through various hills around the country, but I don't want to assume how the hills are in SF.

I have driven in Chicago city traffic since I started driving.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I wonder how many Americans could rent a stick at Heathrow and drive it out into London traffic, shifting with their left hand.[/quote]

That scares the huey out of me!! I rented a stick shift Skoda in Amesterdam and it was fine ( wished it had an overdrive as mileage wasn't that great on Autobahn) but scared to do it in the UK even though I would like to tour the country on my own. You CAN rent automatics at Heathrow??

Old 07-22-2013, 02:18 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I learned in Drivers Ed on an old 65 Galaxy and it was a 3 on the tree. My dad had a 59 Fleetside Chevy PU which was the same thing and it took me a while to get it but I prefered stick ever since. Had a 5 speed Volvo, and 2 5 speed Accords. Now, driving my mom's 05 Cad which has sort of spoiled me but I like controlling the gears and having it not shift in and out of unwanted gears. Also, better able to get more torque.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The first automatic I ever owned was when I was 54 years old, and came back to the USA looking for any suitable cheap car that I could sleep in and I wasn't picky about things like that, and it had automatic.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:31 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Sometimes I wish that automatic transmissions and even synchronizers on manual transmissions were illegal.

Can't double-clutch every shift, up and down? Call a cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive