Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 05:49 AM

338 posts, read 556,153 times

Advertisements

A lot of people I went to high school with learned how to because it was the cool thing to do. I never learned. Do I have a desire to learn? Not at all really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 05:55 AM

604 posts, read 838,766 times
I started driving in the 70's and I learned how to drive a stick shift before I had my drivers license. Most kids in rural areas learned how to drive before they had their license so that was not unusual. My 2nd car was a 1978 Toyota Corolla SR5 hatchback with a manual transmission. I loved that car.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:58 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times
There is no way I can read 67 pages about this.

I'm going to estimate that 80% of people in the real boonies can drive stick. 10% can't drive at all, 10% auto only.

Maybe half and half in the medium towns and burbs? Less on the coasts.

And in the urban cores, 10-20% can do it.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:41 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlich View Post
Hey merc63,

I want you to identify where in any of these posts anyone is trying to act like a "special snowflake" in any of their posts. Even your analogy shows a lack of intelligence. Every snowflake is different and therefore special. Do some research before making a stupid comment. No one on here is acting high and mighty because we can drive stick...all we are discussing is our passion for driving them. The only "special snowflake" post on here is the one person who trolls forums to try to make fun of people for having a passion. Because you seem to lack common sense, I'll give you a hint...I'm referring to you. Your entire post comes off as you being an arrogant moron. Go troll some other site you cyber pansy.
You're an idiot. It's a figure of speech, meaning that people that drive manual transmissions try to lord it over those that drive automatics, as though they are special for driving stick. That's it.

I know each snowflake is individual and special, which is the point of the figure of speech: you are NOT special or individual for being able to drive stick. Period. And yes, most people that are on here or ANY automotive forum (remember the Car & Driver "save the manuals" campaign on forums?) do exactly that, they insinuate that automatic drivers are lazy, or "merely passengers" and have "no control" of their cars. It's pathetic. I've been reading it for years on automotive forums (I'm a member and even moderator on diozens of automotive forums) and quite frankly, am tired of the closed minded BS that it represents.

As I said in this thread, I have manual transmissions, and have driven them on the track, and have proven I can drive them well. And I still like cars with automatics, too. The fact that you can't and think that that's being a moron says volumes about your limited brainpower. There, now THAT'S arrogant.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:09 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Manual transmissions rock BECAUSE only 10% or thereabouts of drivers have one and /or can drive one well. Being different is cool.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:35 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Manual transmissions rock BECAUSE only 10% or thereabouts of drivers have one and /or can drive one well. Being different is cool.
Being old is cool sticks have been around longer than automatics. And like the other older people I to loved the 3 on the tree, and the 4 on the floor. Back in my day we use to swap out an auto for a 4 on the floor. Not to cool to have a Muscle car with an automatic.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Being old is cool sticks have been around longer than automatics. And like the other older people I to loved the 3 on the tree, and the 4 on the floor. Back in my day we use to swap out an auto for a 4 on the floor. Not to cool to have a Muscle car with an automatic.
If autos were as good in the 60's-70s as they are today, nobody would frown at an auto in a muscle car.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Would-be carjackers foiled in Seattle, couldn't drive manual transmission - CBS News

Love it.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:01 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If autos were as good in the 60's-70s as they are today, nobody would frown at an auto in a muscle car.
Still we love the hole shots, and the thrill of the shifting to race another car. Autos war good in the 70s but you got more torque to the back wheels with a stick. And if you had headers or glasspacks nothing like the sound of a 426 Hemi Muscle car downshifting. I would love to see younger people today try to drive a Muscle Car with a 4 speed Hurst shifter. Doubt they could shift without the shift pattern on the handle.
Attached Thumbnails
What percent of Americans can drive a stick shift car?-used-1969-plymouth-roadrunner-hemi-9707  

Old 10-10-2014, 09:06 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
I learned how to drive stick when I was 16, lol
Honestly, though I forgot how to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive