Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 03:10 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,585,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
You're making my point for me. For a daily driver that has to deal with rush hour it's a pain. For those fortunate to not have to deal with it good for you.

Not really making your point for you.

When I had to go to work in a busy metro area, I usually took public transporation. So good for you that you drive in the rush hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 03:11 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,585,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
People realize the convenience and efficiency of an automatic transmission. Most drivers could handle a manual transmission if they had to (most '40s and earlier cars had manual transmissions) but it is certainly not a necessity.

I have driven my cars with automatic in the local mountains quite a few times. When I came to incline or declines, I would shift down into a lower gear. On a tight curve (especially going downhill) I would also shift manually into a lower gear. I never felt I was not in complete control of the car because I was.

As for fun, for me that would depend more on the car than how it changes gears. For example, I would have much more fun driving a '70 SS 454 Chevelle with Turbo-Hydramatic automatic transmission than I would driving a '71 Vega or a '70 350 Camaro with a 4-speed manual.
Downshifting using an automatic is not as good as downshifting with a manual. I know very well about using both for that purpose.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 6,836,352 times
I've never driven stick and don't have any interest. I bought one car when I was 18 and still own it 13 years later. And starting a few months back I moved to Dallas and take public transit most places. For whatever reason, I just view driving as a utilitarian chore. This all coming from a mechanical engineer, which may seem odd haha.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:48 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,240,127 times
I've only ever driven stick...well my first car was an auto...and my wife's Prius is obviously auto.

I never thought I'd say this but I am getting a bit tired of driving stick. And when electric cars become the norm there will definitely be no more sticks. So that decision may be made for me, especially if I end up getting a Model 3 or Bolt in a few years.

It's only when I'm really exhausted from work, or when I get back from walking/hiking a lot where my left foot is just too tired to do anything. That's when I would rather have an auto.

However most days driving stick is literally like breathing. I only notice that I'm driving stick, if I pay attention...

Old 04-19-2016, 05:00 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,670,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Not really making your point for you.

When I had to go to work in a busy metro area, I usually took public transporation. So good for you that you drive in the rush hours.
Good for you that you took public transportation. Yeah it sucks for me that I have to drive during rush hour. Just how it is. It's not something I wish on anyone. And even worse with manual.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:10 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
I don't think there is any way to really determine what % of American drivers can drive a stick. And I think I'm repeating myself, with over 800 posts it's quite possible - but there are definite degrees of skill with a stick. What % can get by, can start off from a stop without stalling (but at the expense of burning up *way* more clutch material than I do), what % can get over 200K miles out of a clutch like me, what % can drive non-syncromesh without grinding any gears, what % can do a clutchless shift without any gear grinding?

Old 04-19-2016, 06:00 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,762,525 times
I drive stick, have been driving stick since I got my license. I taught my wife how to drive stick. I taught every ex-girlfriend how to drive stick. I taught several friends how to drive stick. I plan on teaching my kids and nieces how to drive stick as well. So, all these people can at least say they know how to drive a stick.

Oh bonus points, my mother learned how to drive 3 on the tree. She hasn't driven a stick in about 20 years though and has no desire to. At her age, I don't blame her. Actually, the only people I know who do not know how to drive a stick is both of my brother-in-laws. I probably will never teach them how to for various reasons, but that is another story.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I drive stick, have been driving stick since I got my license. I taught my wife how to drive stick. I taught every ex-girlfriend how to drive stick. I taught several friends how to drive stick. I plan on teaching my kids and nieces how to drive stick as well. So, all these people can at least say they know how to drive a stick.

Oh bonus points, my mother learned how to drive 3 on the tree. She hasn't driven a stick in about 20 years though and has no desire to. At her age, I don't blame her. Actually, the only people I know who do not know how to drive a stick is both of my brother-in-laws. I probably will never teach them how to for various reasons, but that is another story.
After teaching all those newbies, you are no doubt good at replacing clutch discs as well. Or you are on a first-name basis with a shop that does clutch jobs.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:12 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Downshifting using an automatic is not as good as downshifting with a manual. I know very well about using both for that purpose.
It essentially does the same thing... it changes the gear; however, not all automatics are the same.

With my cars, if I am driving on a flat area and come up on a long downhill, I will shift from top gear to the next lower gear. Just like a person driving a manual will do.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:26 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,616,808 times
I would love to see manual transmissions available on more current models (in applications where they would make sense).

It just makes for a much more involved driving experience.

I'm back to driving a stick part time after years of strickly automatics simply because that was my only option on the givenvmodels I wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive