Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times

Advertisements

Have you ever noticed other drivers who do not know the rules of the road?... for instance.... driving with the 4-way flashers on, during fog or rain.

What do you notice?... your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 05:02 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
Another one is switching lanes without putting on the blinkers.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:16 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Left turn from the right lane.
Right turn from the left lane.
Going straight on right turn only.
Keeping blinkers on.
Driving slow in the left lane.
Running Stop signs.
Running red lights.
"California stop".
Speeding up in the Yield lane.
U turn in the No U turn intersection.
Crossing the double white line.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Yes, it's been pointed out many times on here.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Driving with flashers on in heavy rain or fog is for visibility, also, if you're on the highway and need to come to an emergency stop, you should also use the hazard lights while braking - that's part of what they are for, and in Europe heavy braking automatically engages them as a safety feature.

Flashing headlights is another thing people don't seem to know about anymore either. "Flash to pass" is a single flash or double flash to warn slow traffic ahead of you that you are approaching them quickly and will be passing them. It should be done 100 yards from them or so so they have time to merge right or are aware of you coming up, but Americans wait until they are tailgating slow traffic to do this, which defeats the purpose. Also, a triple flash to oncoming traffic warns of a speed trap or upcoming hazard.

Another common European driving technique is driving with the left turn signal on in the left lane to alert cars that you want them to let you buy. Its another technique for getting the attention of slower drivers ahead of you.

So much driving skill and technique is lost on today's drivers.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Driving with flashers on in heavy rain or fog is for visibility
In some states in the US driving with the hazards on is illegal.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
In some states in the US driving with the hazards on is illegal.

Can you say which ones?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
edit quoted the wrong guy

My thoughts on four way flashers? Don't use them, ever, unless the car is stationary and in, or close to, the lane of travel. If you drive with them on in low visibility situations, or worse, pull way off the road and leave them on, you are creating a hazard

Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Can you say which ones?
Not off the top of my head, I seem to recall FL and AL maybe? Not sure in NH either. I know we forbid the action by any member of the Fire Dept (responding to a call) I was captain on as it prevents the use of turn signals, whether it's actually illegal in NH I don't know.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:
Driving with flashers on in heavy rain or fog is for visibility, also, if you're on the highway and need to come to an emergency stop, you should also use the hazard lights while braking - that's part of what they are for, and in Europe heavy braking automatically engages them as a safety feature.

Flashing headlights is another thing people don't seem to know about anymore either. "Flash to pass" is a single flash or double flash to warn slow traffic ahead of you that you are approaching them quickly and will be passing them. It should be done 100 yards from them or so so they have time to merge right or are aware of you coming up, but Americans wait until they are tailgating slow traffic to do this, which defeats the purpose. Also, a triple flash to oncoming traffic warns of a speed trap or upcoming hazard.

Another common European driving technique is driving with the left turn signal on in the left lane to alert cars that you want them to let you buy. Its another technique for getting the attention of slower drivers ahead of you.

So much driving skill and technique is lost on today's drivers.
Sayantsi, I have to respectfully disagree with you on a couple of points:

The laws on using flashers vary form state to state. But I'll definitely agree with you on using flashers to warn traffic behind you that traffic ahead of you is stopped. I also use my flashers when trucking slowly up a hill or merging into traffic in a big truck before i'm up to speed.

As for flashing your brights to signal a passing manuever, I disagree for two reasons:

As often as truck drivers use lights for each other to signal clearance to cut back after passing, any confusion can be dangerous and I speak from experience; As a newbie trucker in NJ, I pulled out to pass a slower big truck when I put on my turn signal and got the high beams from a guy in a BMW. Misjudging his speed, I pulled out in front of him. He was NOT happy. But that's where I learned of that idiotic habit. I'm tempted to blink my lights to communicate "clear" to car drivers but worry that most (if they even see me) might misinterpret my message and a crash for which I'd be liable would result.

I wish that anybody who "flashes to pass" could sit at the wheel of a big truck in the right lane and have some idiot fill up the 12-16" of West Coast mirrors with blinding flashes at night on a dark stretch of highway... (It's bad enough that my fellow truckers flash the brights instead of DIMMING their lights when clearing other truckers over...)

Having said that, I also drove in Europe and sure wish we could bring some of their habits and techniques to this side of the Atlantic. The problem, I believe, is that Europeans have a whole different philosophy about driving (and life...) And we 'Mericans have no standardized driving rules, techniques and laws from state to state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive