Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 02:09 PM

166 posts, read 370,440 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I am in the process of buying a new car, but last year's model, specifically for the great deal I am getting. The dealership wants to clear up their last year's models as next year's vehicle have arrived. The dealership will deliver the car half way.

Since the dealership is about 5 hours away from me, almost all stuff will be done over the phone or via email. I have never gotten vehicle like this. What are the risks involved in this process?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,875,890 times
One thing to clear up would be if they are handling the title, registration and sales tax for you, or are you going to do it in your home state? Often dealers that are close to the border will handle it for you in your state and mail you the plates, etc. but it could be better to handle it yourself. I may be buying a used car out of state and I will have my credit union handle everything for me so I don't have to pay for anything but the car at the out of state dealer. They are good about things like that.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2014, 02:36 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,300,756 times
I would check on your states laws. In California if you buy out of state you have to wait 30 days before bringing it in to the state.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:04 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I would check on your states laws. In California if you buy out of state you have to wait 30 days before bringing it in to the state.

What??
Pls provide a link to that law.

Here's CA DMV's section: http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm
which mentions no such regulation.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What??
Pls provide a link to that law.

Here's CA DMV's section: Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? FFVR 29
which mentions no such regulation.
If purchased to avoid California sales tax.

California's Taxation of Vessels, Vehicles, and Aircraft: Out of State Purchases

It would appear it's 90 days. This was done to stop people from going to an adjoining state to avoid sales tax.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:28 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Great advice, MrWillys . . . different States = different rules / regulations.

Although it has been a few years, I purchased a new Truck in Illinois and drove it home to Arizona on a Temporary 30 Day "In Transit" Paper Plate.

A quick trip to the Arizona MVD was all it took. An MVD inspector verified the VIN with the paperwork (Build Document and Contract). Then I paid the Registration / Title Fees plus the Sales Tax (State only, no Local Taxes).

After about an hour or so, I drove off with the License Plate on the truck and the Title in hand.

Unless things have changed drastically over the last decade . . . a Piece Of Cake compared to my experiences with California's DMV.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Quote:
If purchased to avoid California sales tax.

California's Taxation of Vessels, Vehicles, and Aircraft: Out of State Purchases

It would appear it's 90 days. This was done to stop people from going to an adjoining state to avoid sales tax.
It's actually 12 months from date of purchase if you want to avoid the SUT (state use tax)
If you bring it into CA and try to register before then, the CA SUT (less the tax you already paid to the other state) becomes due.

Ok, which is different from your statement:

Quote:
OP didn't mention trying to avoid the SUT so I'm not sure why you would mention it.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
It's actually 12 months from date of purchase if you want to avoid the SUT (state use tax)
If you bring it into CA and try to register before then, the CA SUT (less the tax you already paid to the other state) becomes due.

Ok, which is different from your statement:

OP didn't mention trying to avoid the SUT so I'm not sure why you would mention it.
It used to be 30 days years ago when my boss bought a motorhome, and is now 90 days based on this statement.

This extended one-year period applies to purchases made between October 1, 2004 and June 30, 2006, after which the out-of-state period reverts back to 90 days.

I brought it up, because it can be a costly mistake in certain situations. Even Nevada has a similar law, because people will go to Oregon where there's no sales tax. I think laws like this should be what the OP should know.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:22 PM

545 posts, read 1,485,883 times
Every state is different, but I bought a car from a large dealer in another state (IL) when I lived in Wisconsin. I didn't have to pay any sales tax in Illinois. Only thing I had to pay to IL was twenty some dollars for a 30 day drive away permit. I paid sales tax to Wisconsin when the car was titled. Basically, it worked like a private party purchase in state would have. I know California is different with a lot of this stuff. For example, I know you have to pay California sales tax regardless of where you live if you're driving the car off the lot. The only way you can avoid it is if you have it trucked off the lot and dropped off outside of California.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:39 AM

166 posts, read 370,440 times
Thank you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive