Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 AM

7 posts, read 65,991 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a new car that gives a good mileage. Can't afford sports cars or any other luxury ones. Anyone's got good examples of what would be a good car at an affordable price (say 20K)? Also, I could be relocating to PA from NY in a month of so, would it be better with taxes, insurance and other stuff if I buy the car in PA? Honda Civic (2006 or 2007) is in my thoughts, anyone who wants to share their experience with this car, please post...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 01:18 PM

179 posts, read 1,067,224 times
your choice of cars is good. my sister has a 2006 civic, she loves it and has had no problems. I bought a corolla back in 2003 and love it though if I had to do over again i would buy a hybrid. gas is just to expensive. plus there is a 3000 tax deduction for buying one. Insurance will be cheaper here in pa, but the sales tax here is 6% not sure what NY is.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:58 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
My sister just bought a Civic and she loves it. She looked at the hybrid, but that's better for city traffic and she drives mostly highway miles to work. Her best friend has a Civic that she bought last year and she also loves it. It sounds like you're definitely headed in the right direction.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:58 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,245 times
I also own a civic hybrid, they hype them up to have almost 48 miles to the gallon, but it's not quite that much. It's closer to 32 - 37 depending on how and where you drive, they can be quite expensive and are kind of considered a luxury item now. Consider a Corolla if you arent looking to spend that much.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,906 times
the toyota yaris is amazing, much better offering than any of the other brands small cars. 40 mpg is great, its cheap, and the interior looks and feels so much better than other small cars. the ride is excellent too.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:18 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
If I had no kids and was on your budget, I'd get a Yaris.

Since I do have the kids and the "stuff" that goes with them, I got a Toyota Matrix wagon - good mileage and lots of room.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,158 times
Default Mazda 3 with 2.3 engine

You might want to look at the Mazda 3 with the 2.3 engine....I have one which I use for commute from PA to NJ its great on gas and very relaible as well - IMO way relaible and better than the Civics & others out there.

Check out the automotive thread somebody has an article about this...!!!

Good Luck

========================

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonknottight View Post
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a new car that gives a good mileage. Can't afford sports cars or any other luxury ones. Anyone's got good examples of what would be a good car at an affordable price (say 20K)? Also, I could be relocating to PA from NY in a month of so, would it be better with taxes, insurance and other stuff if I buy the car in PA? Honda Civic (2006 or 2007) is in my thoughts, anyone who wants to share their experience with this car, please post...

Thanks

Old 09-21-2007, 02:46 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,643 times
Default Re

The best thing I did was trade my dodge intrepid in, on a nissan altima.

They are priced well, and tend not to have any problems. Very reliable.

Ama

Old 09-21-2007, 04:30 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
The best thing I did was trade my dodge intrepid in, on a nissan altima.

They are priced well, and tend not to have any problems. Very reliable.

Ama

Me too.. such a sweet sweet car. I upgraded from a '95 Pontiac transport lol. It's like going from living in Timbuktu to living in NYC. I highly recommend it. Our family has been leaving domestics for Nissan ever since my dad got 1/3 million miles and 10 years on his sentra which died a years back. RIP.

Otherwise just keep your car and buy a segway.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:39 PM

11 posts, read 54,018 times
Find yourself a diesel. Weather it's a car or truck. Three easy reasons.
1.) Excellent gas mileage.
2.) They last forever.
3.) Diesel is cheaper than gas.

My '06 quad cab Dodge Ram was getting 28Mpg through the hills of NW PA while I was home last year. Not bad for a 7000 lb truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive