Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:19 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Charleston, SC, I was told to avoid Racetrac Gas stations since they put 'additives' that cause the vehicle to knock or run unreliably. My family friend owns a gas station and he says all of the gas is distributed by the same truck.

They are building a Racetrac gas station in my town and I was just curious about the quality of their gasoline. I would think with federal regulations and inspections that there would be uniformity and no issues with various brands of gasoline. Correct?

Do you use Racetrac Gasoline? Do you have any issues with it?

I saw this link for Top Tier Gasoline Retailers.

Top Tier Gasoline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
Most gasoline is refined and distributed from the same facilities in a given area regardless of brand... BUT the big difference is the additives added to the gasoline when delivered. Some additive formulations are better than others with cheaper brands often using less expensive additives. To make things even more confusing is that gasoline changes over the year as formulations must be changed with temprature.

Simply use a brand that works well in your vehicle and know that the cheaper brands may have fewer cleaners (that may or may not affect your car in the long term).

Old 01-31-2009, 11:44 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
I usually use Shell or Chevron. Exxon is overpriced.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
I lived in Auburn, Alabama for several years in the late 1990s and bought gas at Racetrac several times a month. Never had any problems, but my car was a fairly generic vehicle. If I had owned something with a more high performance or exotic engine, I might have been a bit more cautious. They are one of the largest independent gas retailers in the southeast, so I find it hard to imagine how they can be in business if the gas they sell causes widespread problems in their customer's cars. Some people are very picky, and some are even crazy enough to put premium gas in a car that the manufacturer recommends to run on regular.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:10 AM

2 posts, read 42,349 times
I work for racetrac. They just buy it from the terminal and drop it in the tank at the station. Any additive has to be posted. Like how chevron describes its fuel grades as super plus with techron or how stations had to post stickers when they started carrying ethanol blend.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:04 AM

568 posts, read 2,419,368 times
I've never had any issues with Racetrac fuel.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:14 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
I used to run Racetrac in my Mazda B2000 on and off with Shell for all of its 257K miles back in the late 80's and early 90's. No problem with the fuel at all. I'm sure it hasn't changed much since then (additives, etc.) We relocated since then and I don't have any Racetrac locations around me.

Last edited by Stripes17; 06-06-2009 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
My modified Mustang GT actually runs it's best off Racetrac gas (which is also generally the cheapest in town. extra bonus.) but doesn't care too much for some HESS gas. Go figure.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 37,135 times
Does Racetrac gas contain manganese-based fuel additives (AKA MMT) or not? ! I am almost exclusively using Racetrac in my current Volvo but new Honda says do not use a fuel containing MMT.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
When I lived in Charleston, SC, I was told to avoid Racetrac Gas stations since they put 'additives' that cause the vehicle to knock or run unreliably. My family friend owns a gas station and he says all of the gas is distributed by the same truck.

They are building a Racetrac gas station in my town and I was just curious about the quality of their gasoline. I would think with federal regulations and inspections that there would be uniformity and no issues with various brands of gasoline. Correct?

Do you use Racetrac Gasoline? Do you have any issues with it?

I saw this link for Top Tier Gasoline Retailers.

Top Tier Gasoline
There is a lot of variables o consider. First, as pointed out above, ALL you fuel comes from the same refinery/pipeline, the additives are added in the computer room when loading the trucks. Major brands must use their additives BUT independents can't buy Major brand X additives. So Racetrac could be viewed as an independent and not really use any additives. Also, refineries produce seasonal blends and switch I think in the Spring and late fall but could be wrong.

Now with that said, this vehicle with the knocking could be having a mechanical issue. If it's a modern vehicle (like mid 80's and newer) if could be equipped with a knock sensor and this sensor could be faulty or reading wrong...or other bad sensor like an O2 sensor. Is this vehicle a performance vehicle or hotrod? High compression engines require slower burning fuel (high octane) while lower compression engines use low octane. using low octane in a vehicle designed for high octane can produce the above effects. If the vehicle is older, let's say using a carb, the carb may not be mixing the air/fuel ratio right causing these issues...that or vapor locking.

As for have I used racetrack fuels, sure and never had an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive