Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,130 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get my car (Mustang) repainted. It's about 6 years old only but has really bad paint due to living in some harsh conditions for a few years and some scratches due to my fault. I'm not talking about a Maaco paintjob or something similar. I want a good paint job.

I'm thinking 2-3k for a nice paint job? Anyone ever done this and can offer any advice or pricing?

And if you are wondering why I want it painted. It's mine (no payments) and I'm tired of looking at this eyesore. It only has 40k miles so it still has plenty of life and I'd really like to enjoy it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
In my experience body/repair shops have always done the best job with repaints. I would call your insurance company and see which ones they recommend. On my insurance, if I use one of their recommended shops, repairs are guaranteed for life. Not saying the paint would be guaranteed, but it just goes to show you how those particular shops stand behind their work.

My current car's paint didn't last 6 years before the clear coat starting going and the paint started rubbing on me everytime I touched it. I got it painted by a body shop, cost around $2k (but that was 7 years ago) and I've kept up on the washes/waxes and so far it looks brand new. Get it painted well but don't forget to wash/wax (real wax, not those spray on kinds).

Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I agree with the body shop recommendation. Ask the local auto paint supply place who does good jobs at a reasonable price. Avoid chain paint shops like a plague.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
When I had a really good paint job done, the quotes were between $4000 and $6500. I chose one for $4500 based on references. They did a really nice job. That was for a very small car though. I kept the same color too. Changing colors is expensive. Mustang could be more.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:20 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Without looking at your car I can't say, but maybe a good detailing would revive the paint enough that you'd be satisfied with it? A good overall paint job is a *lot* of serious work, but a less-than-good job basically trashes the car. If you have paint all over, no serious dents, no (or few) scratches that go down to the bare metal, polishing and waxing the existing paint probably is a better deal.

Don't change the color, unless you want to spend the $ to probably take the front fenders off, hood off, etc. so the door jambs can be done properly.

With the CA environmental laws, you may be better off going to a shop in Nevada.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
A high quality paint job can easily be more than your estimate... I have seen recent jobs (on small newer cars) at about $7k. Prep work on an older car is very expensive and paint costs are quite high. Unless the car is especially dear to you consider having a professional do what is needed to repair what bothers you and skip the full paint job.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,526 times
How nice do you want it? You can spend as much as you want. I have painted cars and motorcycles for prices ranging from $700 (motorcycle) to $10,000 (high quality show car, 97 points overall).

Do you want all the trim removed, so no edges show?

Do you want all dings and dents repaired?

What quality of materials do you want used? Expect to spend at least $500 for good quality paint and primer.

Insist on 2-stage (base/clear) if you want anything resembling longevity without major maintenance.

Modern urethane clear coats do not require waxing, but it can help.

I don't recommend asking your insurance agent about shops, there are too many ulterior motives here. Judge by reputation, and visit the shops. Ask the manager if you can talk to the painter. He will know some shortcuts which may save you money.

You can go with the lowest bidder, but sometimes you get what you pay for. You should be able to get a decent job for $3-4000, depending on the above.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Not to repeat myself or anything, but if you don't want to spend more than $4000, you may be better off buffing out the existing paint. If you don't know how to do this, and/or don't want to spend the time, either a detailer or maybe the same body shop you would consider for the paint job might be able to do this for a few hundred bucks.

I have painted a few cars in my time, it's really time consuming to do the prep *really right*. For a skilled person who's good with their hands, a lot of the prep work can be done DIY, you know a really crazy idea might be to take an auto body class at a local community college and use your car as your own project. You might want to take your first steps with some other car, something you won't have to look at forever. This might or might not work for you depending on how handy and patient you are.

Google Larry Lyles, he has some good CDs that at the very worst will help you understand how there really *can* be $10K worth of work in a paint job.

Did I mention that doing really first-rate paint work involves, like, a *lot* of work?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Before you take it into the shop, try to remove as much trim, lights, etc. as you can. Some shops just mask off stuff and don't get it all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive