Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Well, her Yukon is back on the road and in perfect working order. The crash only did some minor suspension/steering damage. She is pleased... she had been driving their "backup vehicle", a 1987 Mazda B2200 truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Yikes! That goes to show what "crash tests" mean....absolutely nothing in the real world.
Yeah, its hard to judge and this is only against a car of the exact same size/weight and its a full-frontal crash... not offset. I did find out that the 5-star ratings have a more detailed data about them. Back in the 90s, NHTSA sent me some printed sheets that had the numbers data that made up the stars. Now they have them on their website.

For example, here is a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. Look down to the photo of the car and to the left, it has the star rating... below that, you will see head injury criterion for driver/passenger and below that is the chest deceleration for the driver/passenger and below that is the femor load (legs). Teh higher the number, the higher the forces and chances for injury. The head and chest are what makes up the ratings.

This is a good way to compare two cars with 5-stars... you can see which one is even better than the other.

Safercar.gov

Here is a link to check all tested cars.....

Safercar.gov

I like this link.... these are more real-life type crashes.... off-set head-on crashes....
IIHS crash test results

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
The star rating system is a horrible way to rate a car in a crash. 5 stars? that tells me they met the min. required by law. That doesn't give a way to tell if the car will or not protect you in a wreck. I'd like to see an overall number system, say 1 to 1000. Higher the number, the better the protection in that type crash. It would allow sub divisions of 1-100 in that you could see was the overall number raised by really great if you get hit in the rear? Or was it fantastic in a t-boned wreck but you will die if the front touches anything? What was the roof collapse measurements in a 1 time rollover or a multible rollover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
I fail to see the point... I can total a tour bus with a $5 hammer from home depot.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Well, her Yukon is back on the road and in perfect working order. The crash only did some minor suspension/steering damage. She is pleased... she had been driving their "backup vehicle", a 1987 Mazda B2200 truck.

Yeah, its hard to judge and this is only against a car of the exact same size/weight and its a full-frontal crash... not offset. I did find out that the 5-star ratings have a more detailed data about them. Back in the 90s, NHTSA sent me some printed sheets that had the numbers data that made up the stars. Now they have them on their website.

For example, here is a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. Look down to the photo of the car and to the left, it has the star rating... below that, you will see head injury criterion for driver/passenger and below that is the chest deceleration for the driver/passenger and below that is the femor load (legs). Teh higher the number, the higher the forces and chances for injury. The head and chest are what makes up the ratings.

This is a good way to compare two cars with 5-stars... you can see which one is even better than the other.

Safercar.gov

Here is a link to check all tested cars.....

Safercar.gov

I like this link.... these are more real-life type crashes.... off-set head-on crashes....
IIHS crash test results

Good links, Thanks for posting!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Your welcome.

Speaking of small cars hitting large vehicles... On a sad note, there was a crash locally today where a small Ford Festiva hit a dump truck head-on and unfortunately, killing the driver. The car was demolished. Worst possible scenerio.... very small car hitting a dump truck head-on.... newstory here....

Wreck Involving Dump Truck In Elizabethton Fatal | TriCities (http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/wreck_involving_dump_truck_in_elizabethton_fatal/20239/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive