Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:17 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Not just men. Its women too. They don't want to be viewed as the soccer mom with the minivan.
I've seen some families wanting a classic station wagon over a minivan/SUV/CUV. Some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Its all preference. In my opinion, a large SUV (none of this Crossover crap) acts as a minivan plus so much more. I would see no purpose in owning a minivan for my daily usage.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
I have an explorer and a sienna. I love the minivan and my husband loves (so he claims) SUVs. Weird, because whenever we go anywhere, he always wants to take the minivan.

I've driven lots of vehicles over the years. I do not get the point of an SUV at all. If you're hauling stuff, a pick-up is much better. If you're hauling people, the minivan is, hands-down, much more comfortable.

Quite frankly, I don't see the point of SUVs. Terrible gas mileage and harder to handle, park, etc.

I will always own a minivan.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
I hate minivans for no other reason than their owner population seems to largely consist of absent minded airheads who have no concept of driving etiquette. Every time someone takes a last second left turn in front of me it's one of two vehicle types: a hybrid or minivan.

Personally, driving a minivan makes I feel like I'm driving a living room lined with pillows which provides a false sense of security. Maybe the soccer mom nation feels the same way hence their propensity for unconscious driving.

Obviously there's a lot of bias in my post...but I wouldn't be surprised if some lab coats concluded the same.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
Default Why don't people like Minivans?

I don't dislike them, I think a family has to do what they have to do to get it done.

I don't care how much car makers will try to "cool it up", when I see one I think

a soccer mom/dad who will be driving a little too aggressively due to the fact that the 50 million kids in the backseat have lost interest in the "Frozen" movie being played on the in cabin DVD player, and are fighting and screeching like mad back there

Old 10-01-2015, 03:03 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
I hate minivans for no other reason than their owner population seems to largely consist of absent minded airheads who have no concept of driving etiquette. Every time someone takes a last second left turn in front of me it's one of two vehicle types: a hybrid or minivan.

Personally, driving a minivan makes I feel like I'm driving a living room lined with pillows which provides a false sense of security. Maybe the soccer mom nation feels the same way hence their propensity for unconscious driving.

Obviously there's a lot of bias in my post...but I wouldn't be surprised if some lab coats concluded the same.
This, pretty much sums it up. Minivans mostly attract people who treat a car totally as an appliance, and don't pay attention to their driving.

That and a mini-van is as far as you can get from a performance or sports car. It simply screams: "I am old, married with kids, and boring as hell!"

That said, from what I hear, the Honda Odyssey provides a decent driving experience, better than most mini-vans.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:06 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
People like this should get over themselves, and enjoy whatever stage of life they are in, instead of pathetically clinging on to their nostalgic, rose-colored memories of their younger days.
You go ahead and go quietly if that suits you.

Me, I'm going to put up a fight, one that would make Stonewall Jackson proud of me!

Old 10-01-2015, 07:29 PM

178 posts, read 162,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post

Minivans have some of the lowest insurance rates for vehicles. The actuaries aren't there to pump up one vehicle class over another. So no, the intellecutals most connected with figuring out "danger" are not on your side.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:34 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I think the last few posts are ridiculous. The worst drivers I see drive sporty cars. They cut in and out of traffic, cut people off, don't know how to wait in line, and think they own the road.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:09 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think the last few posts are ridiculous. The worst drivers I see drive sporty cars. They cut in and out of traffic, cut people off, don't know how to wait in line, and think they own the road.
Right? And then they go on message boards and bash minivans, js
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive