Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:25 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times

Advertisements

This is my first time, I was pumping gas into the wife's 05 Murano and forgot to take the keys with me. So when I was done I was locked out. I spent 2 hours with a borrowed slim jim and could not get it open. Finally a fire truck pulled in and helped me out.
Have you ever been locked out and how did it happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:34 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
No. Let me start by saying, I'm not blond, but one time I had my doors locked and my driver's side window down far enough to reach in and unlock the door. By doing so I set off my own car alarm and didn't know how to turn it off! I had to go back into the store and ask for help. I was walking up to strangers asking if they know how to turn off a car alarm!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
This is my first time, I was pumping gas into the wife's 05 Murano and forgot to take the keys with me. So when I was done I was locked out. I spent 2 hours with a borrowed slim jim and could not get it open. Finally a fire truck pulled in and helped me out.
That is horrible. First, I never close the door when I am pumping gas (in the new car). With the security systems of newer cars, it would be harder to break back into modern cars.

My Camry Hybrid had smart keys making it impossible to lock myself out - thank goodness.

I will tell you a quick story:

I was playing golf and had a bad game. I had put my keys in the golf club bag during my game and after the round, I put the golf bag in the trunk. I shut the trunk and realized - I left my keys in the trunk. However, since the Camry had smart keys, I was able to open the trunk. It would not happened with any other car I own - it would have been a nice 13 mile walk home.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
I was hunting and needed to disconnect the battery (don't even remember why), but when I did, I heard a beep and the doors locked as the truck suspected a break-in. Fortunately, I left a spare key with my hunting buddy. I now leave my back sliding window unlocked. And, once I locked my Lincoln while it was running. That was embarassing. Just filled the gas tank, but waited 2 hours for a locksmith. In my defense, everybody does it.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
more than once. here is how i fixed it. roll down the window b4 i get out of the car. plan 2
if i go to the back of the car drop the keys on the ground b4 i close the trunk.
but 3rd most important never never carry multiple key chains in your pockets you will think it is the car key in your pocket and lock the car

Old 02-12-2009, 01:28 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
I can't lock myself out of my Lincoln Town Car. If I leave the keys inside by mistake, I can just punch the code on the buttons on the outside of the front door.

For my other two cars, I keep a spare key for each in my wallet, in one of those zippered compartments.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:59 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
It's been a long time. Most German cars won't let you "slam-lock" the driver's door, you have to lock it from the outside with the key. I have gotten into the habit of always locking the car after I get out, using the key. Provided I don't lose the key, I'm set.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
New Years Eve many years ago.

My wife and I went to a relative's home for hours of partying; I got out, she grabbed her purse and then she got out.

Fast forward several hours later. We're buzzed, and the wife suggests I go out and warm up the car, as it was brrrr cold. I asked, "Do you have your keys, so I can lock the car (it's way after midnight, but people are out on New Year's)?

Anyway, the car's running at 1:30am, and her keys are laying in the floor - yes, she had grabbed her purse - but they had fallen out of her purse before she exited the car.

Roadside Ass(istance)!!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
The cycle has returned with Chrysler cars.

Key punch to enter and to start the car.

Seems they never learned after the late 50's with the push button trans buttons on the dash and the electrical failures. Then again they are dealing with a newer younger generation that does not know better. Eventually people will be cursing.

Soon to be down the tubes with upcoming failures in a few years.

A case of History repeating itself. Steve

Old 02-12-2009, 03:18 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
He he....been there so many times.

With modern cars and their keyless entry I've done it a lot less than I used to.

Here are some instances that I can recall. What they all have in common is that when the door was closing after it had left my hand the thought went through my brain in that 0.1 second that the keys were not actually on my person but likely still in the ignition or in the seat. And sometimes I even looked back and saw them!

1. Mom's car: When I was about jr high age my mom and I went shopping. She was going to run into a store to pick up something. So she left me in the car with the keys so I could listen to music while I waited. Well I got tired of waiting so I just decided to go in. Got out of the car and closed the door. Well I thought for a minute that I shouldn't just leave the doors unlocked like that so I opened the door and locked it and then started to shut it....realized that the key was in the ignition still with accessories turned on.....and then the door latched before I could grab it. Had to call Dad to come and unlock the door with the extra keys.

2. My first car: I was parked in my college parking lot on my way into class. I was in a hurry when I got out of the car, locked it and started to close the door.....yep...keys still in the ignition. I had to get the security guard over there to help me get it unlocked. Apparently he had quite a bit of experience with that because he just walked up with a big curved rod and unlocked it.

OK what i figured out later about my first POS car was that the ignition and driver side door locks were old and worn out. You could start the car without putting the key in the ignition! And if you had a penny you could put the tip of it in the slot of the door lock and turn it to get it unlocked. So my car was virtually fair game to any car thief.

3. The wife's car: She locked her keys in it when she was picking the kids up for daycare....and the spare was nowhere to be found at home. So we had to call the locksmith to come and get it unlocked for us. $40....not bad I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive