Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
No - actually they are eliminating some of their FWD platforms like the lumina and maybe even the G6. The FWD cars will remain strong in the lower priced (<30K) lineups, but more RWD cars will begin to surface in the over 30K price ranges:

GM planning more RWD cars - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

GM had planned to offer even more RWD options based on the Zeta platform, but the new CAFE fuel standards will most likely restrict the RWD lineup plans somewhat.

That article is two years old - GM was going to go to more rwd, but then cut the development. Even the G8's future is uncertain beyond the current model generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,362 times
yeah, I know the article is a couple years old, but lots of guys I know in Michigan are seeing some of the lumina prototypes around town with blacked out front / rear ends (stealthy).

GM is still most likely looking to extend the Zeta platform at least to the Buick and the Lumina.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g8-2008-2009/1061178-chevy-g8.html

Old 02-14-2009, 10:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I think it makes sense to give this car more exposure by putting it on Chevy lots. That said, doing so would blur the distinctions between the brands even more by further muddying Chevy's market position ("are we a truck line? An economy car line? A family car line? A luxury sedan line? A sports car line?") and by leaving Pontiac virtually no reason left to exist. If anything I think they should have released the new Camaro as a Firebird instead to keep the performance edge in the Pontiac line. Ah well, I guess they know what they're doing -- namely, plunging headlong into bankruptcy.

Last edited by Drover; 02-14-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,257 times
The G8's are nice!!!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
I think a slightly used G8 will be in my future.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:24 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
*sigh* i want one SO bad!!!! i had a 2004 GTO (Holden Monaro), and it was such a nice car. Holden knows how to put together something with a good quality feel for not so much money.

as for crossing the platform into other brands, GM's biggest problem is its overpopulation of dealers. if the Pontiac guy has a car that sells well, the Chevy dealer down the street starts having a fit because he doesn't have a version of his own. until you get rid of brands and/or close some of the dealerships, it won't change.

now, for those seriously interested, check out the resale on these things. i can find G8 GTs with under 15K miles for just around $20K already! the GTO had the same 'problem', but if you're looking to buy used, it's great news!

but lastly, i thought i had heard GM said they would only be making/importing this car for 5 years due to its extremely slow sales. you guys SURE they're thinking of expanding the platform? they already cancelled bringing over the Ute (basically a Holden El Camino).

Mike

Old 02-15-2009, 10:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
*sigh* i want one SO bad!!!! i had a 2004 GTO (Holden Monaro), and it was such a nice car. Holden knows how to put together something with a good quality feel for not so much money.

as for crossing the platform into other brands, GM's biggest problem is its overpopulation of dealers. if the Pontiac guy has a car that sells well, the Chevy dealer down the street starts having a fit because he doesn't have a version of his own. until you get rid of brands and/or close some of the dealerships, it won't change.

now, for those seriously interested, check out the resale on these things. i can find G8 GTs with under 15K miles for just around $20K already! the GTO had the same 'problem', but if you're looking to buy used, it's great news!

but lastly, i thought i had heard GM said they would only be making/importing this car for 5 years due to its extremely slow sales. you guys SURE they're thinking of expanding the platform? they already cancelled bringing over the Ute (basically a Holden El Camino).

Mike
Yep I definitely want a Monaro. I remember back in 2003 in Australia I was doing a motor racing course and one of the guys had a Monaro and I got to sit in it. Knew I had to have one someday. I reckon I'll replace the GTO front and rear with a Monaro front and rear.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
I think both the Chevy and Pontiac versions are nice looking rides. IMO they look a lot like BMW 325i's...Don't know what it is specifically but that car just comes to mind.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:39 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
The G8 is awesome. Totally under the radar too, I can see it becoming a collector's item in the future.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,434 times
I really,really,really want a GXP!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive