Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times

Advertisements

Sorry, the Mustang isn't even a sports car.

It's a nice passenger car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I would have to say the Ford Mustang is the greatest sports car ever made. Anyone can get their hands on a Mustang and the after market is huge. I've never driven a Ferrari, Lambo, Zonda, Bugatti or anything else like that and I probably never will. That doesn't bother me a bit. I enjoy driving my poor man's Ferrari and so do many other blue oval boys and girls. I think the best thing about the Mustang is the fact that most owners can work on the car themselves. I don't like to let other mechanics touch anything on my car. Most of them half a$$ everything.

I think a close second would be the Corvette. They give a lot of bang for the buck from the factory and they are all beautiful cars. Chevy never made an ugly Corvette. My only beef with the vette is the aftermarket. They will bend you over for simple parts.

We've seen a lot of sports cars come and go over the years but the Mustang and Corvette are here to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Sorry, the Mustang isn't even a sports car.

It's a nice passenger car though.

I'm blown away by your comment. What disqualifies America's most popular sports car from being considered a sports car in your eyes?

Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 PM

Well for starters, it has a back seat. It's a passenger car, and unless you get the fully loaded performance model they handle like a 2BR ranch on wheels.

It started it's own catagory of "pony car" and should be honored for what it is.

If it's for sport, why the back seat?

Sports car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(an example)

I'll admit that how the general person on the street, and some racing bodies, define sports car has been dilluted over the years, but come on. If anything, the modern higher-end mustangs are muscle cars, as were some of the early models.

Next come the four door saloons that are often called sports cars. Would I love an M5 or a C63AMG, you bet! They're faster than sin and corner like they are on rails. But, nope, no more a sports car than a Mustang, Camero, Monte Carlo SS, Buick Grand National or Lexus IS430.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:28 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are 100% correct. Car and Driver made the same comments when comparing it to the high-end 911. It was a splurge after a tough time in my life and I couldn't justify dropping more than 65k or so on a car so while I would love to have a ferrari etc. I was trying not to be too crazy with my budget.

I would argue about design and build quality with you though. (The interior is clearly not anywhere near the level of other supercars). The Z06 has stunning exterior looks and the engine etc. are proven. Plus, they have great resale as long as you don't go mod\track happy and beat the crap out of them.

i still salute your choice. do try to track your new baby once in while though. it is an exhilarating experience.

i guess i should've been more specific when i referenced design and build quality. the corvette platform is proven and that engine is bullet proof. i meant the interior design and interior materials in use when compared to a porsche. the exterior and actual mechanicals are brilliant in the corvette.

it really is the same issue i have with all american cars. maybe it is domestic car culture, i don't really know, but IMO the biggest difference between domestics and imports is in the design, materials used, and build of car interiors.

efficiency, exterior design, mechanical quality, engine power....all these attributes the domestics can compete with foreign makes. but when it comes to all things interior...IMO there's a huge gap.

do enjoy your z06 though. wonderful purchase.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I can still hear Rich Hammond doing his review of the C6 on Top Gear as he thunks the dashboard and center console: "These plastics, where are they getting them from??? It's the same with every American car we drive. Why, these are the people who put a lander on Mars!"

Classic.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 PM

"Thank you fat men in Kentucky" was the best line of that episode, IMHO.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
"Thank you fat men in Kentucky" was the best line of that episode, IMHO.
Different Episode. This was Hammond reviewing the regular C6 back in like 2006.

Top Gear: Chevrolet Corvette

Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,303 times
Thought for your consideration, gentlemen (and ladies so inclined, no sexism intended): the "best" sports car for Jackie Stewart or for you? My experience has been that my greatest satisfaction has been in driving a car that I can master up to 80/90% of it's capability. Beyond that, I feel more like simply a poser driving a car beyond my capabilities. I've have had Corvettes, Porsches and a bunch of other sports cars., many of which were beyond my capability to drive anywhere near the car's performance limit. I've done innumerable driving schools and considerable track time at Watkins Glen and other venues. My "best" has been with cars I can drive where I command the car. Super cars are fun to think about but for real sports cars enjoyment, my advice is to stay with a car that you can enjoy driving and within your capabilities. If you are just dreaming, as opposed to real driving, dream on. Otherwise, get some wheels that you can really enjoy. JMHO.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 02-26-2009 at 12:27 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 12:24 AM

I'd much rather come up short on talent than come up short on car. I promise there's a lot more fun in hustling a Porsche than hustling a Ford Taurus.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
But, nope, no more a sports car than a Mustang, Camero, Monte Carlo SS, Buick Grand National or Lexus IS430.
I believe you mean Camaro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive