Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times

Advertisements

Turned on the link and the pictures are very impressive.

The info is over a yr old and nothing to show the 2008 results or anything for 2009 so far.

Did the engine blow up?

Have not heard anything before this forum.

I do know quite a bit about Turbos as I built a custom unit for the 1/4 mile back in 1984 and today have a custom unit on my street car. My experience is limited but not on the scale that you are working on today with those large 88mm Turbo units.

I go on the theory similiar to Porsche 911's Turbos.

I try to envision as much boost as possible on a small engine with a small Turbo setup to get positive low ET in the 1/4 mile and top speed the same time.

I am not into BRUTE force via a large turbo setup and a car with a lot of weight. That is why cars are gutted to cut down the weight.

Still commend your applications and would like to hear any good news that is not over a yr old.

There are many smart people with more Turbo knowledge then us who may have tried and did not have any good luck with a similiar setup that is not openly discussed.

I kinda look at Porsche and go with the flo. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,173 times
Wait...with "turbo lag", why would you use a turbocharged engine for drag racing? Wouldn't a supercharger give better results?
Help me here guys...I'm thinkin' old school...

Old 03-01-2009, 11:17 PM

I never had a supercharger and from what I understand is a pressure BLOW system whereas the TURBO has a "LAG" from a "DRAW" system.

You can have a "BLOW" system into the engine thru the Carb which will eliminate the "LAG".

This will give a positive smooth procession to Boost at a certain RPM depending on the initial setup.

On a draw Turbo setup into the Carb (which I have on my street car) I have eliminated the "LAG" via the right idle RPM and proper setting of the timing ATDC. Each engine configuration is taken into consideration when doing the adjusting. Each engine will be different.

I never did a FI application so cannot speak about that with any knowledge. I'm a Carb man.

Like I said in a previous post on another thread "what you do with the turbo determines at what RPM the boost comes on".

My original setup had the boost come on at 3600 RPM and my modifying changed that to 2800 RPM.

My engine setup has gone up to 15lbs of boost when I back off on the gas pedal.

Thats all I can say for now without giving my R&D away. Steve

Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,173 times
Thank you Steve!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 PM

I would like to add that there is such a thing as having too small of a carb on a engine.

A larger Carb can be jetted down by controlling the Air and Fuel ratios with the AIR intake being critical. (engines have to breathe)

Similiar application is true with TURBOS. Bigger is NOT always better with some engines.

The Turbo exhaust impeller turns on a common shaft with the intake impeller "DRAWING" and "FORCING" the air/fuel mixture down the intake manifold into the combustion cyls and you will get the BOOST.

It has been found that two small TURBOS are better then ONE large TURBO. Ask Porsche.

Steve

Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertGirl View Post
Wait...with "turbo lag", why would you use a turbocharged engine for drag racing? Wouldn't a supercharger give better results?
Help me here guys...I'm thinkin' old school...

They both got their pros and cons.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Steve,
From what I can read, the owner of that Camaro did not want to campaign two cars. He has an identical car with a single turbo. Also it sounds like he has teamed up with the owner of this car. His single turbo car (114mm) has gone 6:85@ 218mph.

V8TV Web Radio Episode 1: Another new Nick Scavo Race Car?

Now these cars have to weigh #3150 with driver and can only use a 10.5w slick (which is really closer to 11.5" wide) , and I think most of the FI systems they use are Big Stuff3, & FAST. With all the computer systems on board they actually have a way to come off the line with boost, so there is no lag. I've seen one car with close to 3000hp , go straight as an arrow down the drag strip. They basically make more HP and just tune it down for track conditions. The computer senses wheel spin and adjusts timing and boost as it goes down the track.
Now I'm sure it's WAY more complicated than I just explained but this is what I've learned from some close friends that are running a car. They are currently switching over from a Nitrioused SBF 347ci (best pass 8:15@171mph) to a 101mm turbo with another 347ci SBF.
The turbo craze in drag racing is just amazing. The HP created and the ability to put it do the track is just unbelievable.

I think this is the current record holder.. 6:49@224mph ! The cars are going over 160 in the 1/8th mile .. just crazy.

YouTube - Nyce1s.com - Tim Lynch's World Record 6.49 Pass @ Shakedown.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Nice pictures and thumbs up on your improved design for 2009.

Quality work and shows R & D is the key.

Can see the full function a lot better then what the old 2008 pictures showed.

Now I can see where we are both on the same thinking level.

I was not being critical initally only wondering on the feasability and possible performance.

My hats off to your project and the POSITIVE results. Steve

Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Steve,
I didn't mean to imply this was my project. I'm just a spectator. I was only showing those links to provide an idea of how far turboes have advanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive