Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I should be getting a 4x4 12v Dodge (96-98) within the next couple weeks... been looking for trucks for about 9 months and finally narrowed it down to a few and ready to fork over the cash. Decided this is the best option for something under 10k. Can't beat an all mechanical diesel with 5spd manual in a full-size truck that gets low to mid 20's for MPG. Perfect for biodiesel/svo... and these particular trucks have tendency to outlast the owners... assuming you don't have the auto that is.
Good choice, there are many 12v CTD with over 1,000,000 miles. I have 3 with around 300k, but they are all early Gen 1 trucks, as I need tough trucks (crossed the scales at 28,800 GCVW the other day, towing my dozer) Fortunately no rust here (inland PNW)

Let me know if you find an extra '98 12v Quad cab 5spd with a Brazil block. (No MEX (#53) blocks please 53 Block FAQ and Information
Common Problems and How Do I Articles Needed... - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums) I could use a newer rig for driving to church and taking the DS out.

For Bio or grease be sure to add a heated fuel prefilter, and a fuel pressure gauge between the filter and inj pump. Inj pumps are spendy!! also verify that you have a good lift pump, and an consider a piston type. On the early engines, the pump membrane with break and fill your crankcase with fuel.

RE: chev, I had some of them too, but the suspension is just too whimpy for me. For a gasser they will probably do. I would love to dump a load of gravel in a Avalanche with a 10 - 15 yd bucket from about 15 ft up, just gets me all excited to think about that. Or maybe we could use one next yr for the pumpkin drop

A friend just picked up a fully tricked 2006 crew cab duramax for 11k. It has 88k miles and about $1200 in wheels, but will need rubber. It looks like a CA 'show-truck' doubt they will be hauling much 'cargo'. I probably use my VW diesel pickup heavier than they. (I had a 1,800# excavator bucket in it a couple weeks ago). I had to deliver it 200 miles, and like the 50 mpg of the VW, but it was a bit squirrely.

For truck preference, I will go with an Autocar

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-03-2009 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,399 times
chevy makes a great truck

Old 03-03-2009, 01:56 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,287,388 times
My favorite used to be Ford trucks because I got the best service from them. Looks wise, I like the new 09 Dodge out of the new trucks. But i I was buying a brand new one today, it'd be the GMC Dually with the duramax. (ok, so I know how to make power with the duramax more than the new powerstrokes and new Cummins). Now let me build one my way of any year, any make, I'd build a 34 Ford pickup or a 57 GMC.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 AM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
In my opinion, the bed of the Avalanche is too small (short) for hauling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive