Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 04:28 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times

Advertisements

I was told you put your foot on the bumper and push down. The vehicle should go down as you push down and immediatley come back up to where it was and stop.....and not bounce back down again w/o assistance from your foot.

Is this the proper method of checking shocks?

Or do you just prefer to drive down a bumpy road and see how many times you can get the under carriage to make contact with the pavement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 05:42 PM

139 posts, read 1,024,909 times
Thats how i was told to check them as well, by pushing down, also look at them to check for fluid leaks.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:55 PM

47 posts, read 200,276 times
That is how you check them, also if you hear obvious sounds like a clunk or a rattle that also means different things like it needs to be greased or you have a loose part. Another way of checking while you are driving is to break hard, if it lowers in the front ( nose dives) you have a problem.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Some cars (with naturally softer suspension, such as luxury sedans) may go back up and down a little. Cars designed with stiff suspension (such as sports cars) shouldnt. SOMETIMES they will "fail firm"... meaning rather than bouncing in large motions, they will get overly stiff and will not compress well, causing a harsh ride.... as if on a bicycle or a log truck.

My old 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville is a tank and it will bounce about 2-3 times, but probably normal for a 5000 lb tank. My Mercedes will bounce a little and may need new shocks, but not bad enough to worry with now. My Lexus and Chevy are fine. They have "soft" suspension, but dont bounce with the bounce test.

If a car has excessive float and bounce, then they probably are worn and need replacing. Its been my past experience if you need new shocks or struts (whatever your car has) is to get factory OEM ones at a dealer (which will cost you MORE and downright costly on some cars), but well worth it. I have found that on past cars that cheap aftermarket shocks give too harsh and stiff of a ride. Normally you would think the cheaper ones would be the softest dampened, but they are not. They are usually some of the harshest.

Cars with air-suspension option (Lincoln Town Car, Lexus LS400, Chrysler New Yorker, Buick Park Avenue, etc) can get very costly to replace the air shocks.... sometimes $1000-$1500 each! My dads friend has a 1988 Lincoln Continental with factory air-suspension... well it did have.. they went out and it was replaced with standard struts with some modifications. My grandma had a 1988 Chrysler New Yorker Landau Mark Cross Edition, with air suspension and WOW what a comfortable car.... with pillow seats, air-suspension, you literally never knew there were ANY bumps in the road. It was like floating on a cloud... (that was the only good thing about that car... lol).

I have a Lexus LS400 without the air suspension, but it still has a soft ride, but I have rode in some with air-ride and wow, they are smooth as a cloud, but costly to replace when the fail.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:59 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
True story....

Used to have a 1976 Olds Cutlass Salon w/t-tops. A friend of mine lived in an old farm house about 1/4 mile off the road way. Used to travel down his driveway at 30 mph, the car bottoming out several times along the way. When I say "bottom out" I mean the frame literally would touch the gravel in the driveway.

Then another guy we knew had a 1975 Buick Regal. The one time I rode in it (there were 4 of us total) the car seemed like it was doing pancakes....as in the right front corner would dip down, then the left front, then the left rear, then the right rear....the repeat...as if you were sort of floating....

Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Check my shox?
I take my shoes off and wiggle my big toe.
If it sticks through, I need new shox.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
old school way to check:

" if this van's rocking"
..... and rocking, and swaying, and bouncing

time for new shocks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive