Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,248,001 times

Advertisements

JMadison: I'm as curious as you are about 4 wheel power slides. I can't understand the dynamics of it. I'm a long time fan of power slides with rear wheel drive vehicles (more fun than most human activities) but don't understand how you could do it with 4 wheel. Curious, has anybody else done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 AM

1,765 posts, read 7,302,128 times
Yeah, you can do it in an AWD car, if that's what you mean.

Some of the modern AWD sport sedans, like the WRX and Evo, make it easier since you can select the power distro/balance. I owned an older one (WRX) and with some practice at the track or deserted lot, you can put them into a hard slide with all four tires smoking. I would swap the horrible (IMHO) RE92s and stock wheels back on my WRX and go break it loose. I never could get it to pull for a long time, like around a sweeper, but the older ones were a bit harder to keep sliding (unless modded I suppose.)

Here's a vid of a pro doing it....
YouTube - Ken Block Gymkhana Practice

Is that what you're talking about?

Old 04-04-2009, 01:28 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,248,001 times
caution: good post, thanks for the info. I've never owned a 4/awd performance car and have no experience with curve dancing in them. The dynamics have got to be a lot different than my Mustang GT, which is sweet to swing the tail at the apex and power on through. 4/awd probably takes a lot more driving skill than I have. I'll stay with what I know and leave the 4/awd for the younger set or more skilled drivers.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 04-04-2009 at 01:45 AM..

Old 04-11-2009, 11:46 PM

43 posts, read 124,949 times
[quote=caution;8168427]Yeah, you can do it in an AWD car, if that's what you mean.

Some of the modern AWD sport sedans, like the WRX and Evo, make it easier since you can select the power distro/balance. I owned an older one (WRX) and with some practice at the track or deserted lot, you can put them into a hard slide with all four tires smoking. I would swap the horrible (IMHO) RE92s and stock wheels back on my WRX and go break it loose. I never could get it to pull for a long time, like around a sweeper, but the older ones were a bit harder to keep sliding (unless modded I suppose.)

Here's a vid of a pro doing it....
YouTube - Ken Block Gymkhana Practice
quote]

Have seen that 3 times before/

And.
It's.
Still.
Badazz. This guy knows how to spell "car handling".

Smilin'

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive