Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:36 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK - Music blared and lights blinked as the pint-sized car descended from the ceiling. A platform lowered it to the ground and photographers rushed to snap pictures.

Small cars pose a big risk for automakers - Autos- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NEW YORK - Music blared and lights blinked as the pint-sized car descended from the ceiling. A platform lowered it to the ground and photographers rushed to snap pictures.

Small cars pose a big risk for automakers - Autos- msnbc.com
Who wants to drive in a death trap with their family in the car with them.

I like my truck, carries lots of firewood because the price of heating oil is way too high and don't like supporting the Mideast instead of drilling here.

So I am saving gas/oil by driving a 3/4 ton truck and hauling firewood, the little car gets great MPG, but would have to use three times the heating oil which is way worse than the gas used in the Truck... Greenies can't grasp that...

Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Wow that's pretty smart, you drive a large truck year round just to move firewood a couple times a year, good thinking.

You do realize they have these companies where you can rent cars and trucks by the day, right? And its pretty inexpensive in my neck of the woods, around $20-$40/day depending on demand at that time. While your situation may be better off having the truck year round the majority of people are not in that situation, they would be much better off financially renting a large truck or SUV when they actually need its capabilities.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:35 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,768,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wow that's pretty smart, you drive a large truck year round just to move firewood a couple times a year, good thinking.

You do realize they have these companies where you can rent cars and trucks by the day, right? And its pretty inexpensive in my neck of the woods, around $20-$40/day depending on demand at that time. While your situation may be better off having the truck year round the majority of people are not in that situation, they would be much better off financially renting a large truck or SUV when they actually need its capabilities.

Question? How does a 6' 4" 400lb disabled man fit in a teeny tiny car?

Answer. He doesnot, he fits in a 3/4 ton truck year round cause his
disability does not change for better fuel milage.

Unless every vehicle made and sold to the public is a high mpg car, then enough fuel will not be saved to justify the major pain in the A$$ inconveniance (sp) if just a few people buy small cars. For the people that drive high mpg cars there is several more that don't and nothing is saved.

My opinion so I know it means nothing.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:44 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Who wants to drive in a death trap with their family in the car with them.

I like my truck, carries lots of firewood because the price of heating oil is way too high and don't like supporting the Mideast instead of drilling here.
I don't know why people always think bigger = safer. Unless you are driving something larger than a bus or a semi, there will always be something bigger than you out there.

bridger.us » Archive » Crash Testing: MINI Cooper vs Ford F150 (http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150 - broken link) - Personally, I'd rather be in the small car and not the pickup.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,059 times
These micro cars are fine if you are single or a couple and don't plan on going on the highway. I wouldn't put small kids in the back seat of these cars. Neither would I drive it on the highway. Maybe if your driving would be just in a major city (Boston, SF, etc.).

Old 04-10-2009, 08:13 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
Buy and drive what you want while you still can.

I'll drive a two seater so Bigg Mann can have my carbon reduction for his big truck :P LOL

Seriously though, I think the real problem isn't the MPG but the distance. Sprawl is what consumes.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
I don't know why people always think bigger = safer. Unless you are driving something larger than a bus or a semi, there will always be something bigger than you out there.

bridger.us » Archive » Crash Testing: MINI Cooper vs Ford F150 (http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150 - broken link) - Personally, I'd rather be in the small car and not the pickup.
I thnik because peopole ahve seen many of those small car verus truck to offten and hear about whop gets injured. They believe what they see and the injuries not some stats from crash test.Some bigger po0ut thererteally makes no sense IMO becuase they is almost all bigger that a mini cooper.Thai is a individaul decision really.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,054 times
aside from the economy, i think this article touches on another good reason why vehicle sales are down. no one has ANY clue what gas prices are gonna do, so no one knows what to buy.

when i wrecked my GTO last summer, the silver lining was that i was able to downsize to a more fuel-efficient and practical Scion xB. however, now that gas is back down to a reasonable number, i'm almost kicking myself for not buying another GTO (which actually costs about the same used as the xB did new). and if gas prices were then what they are now, i would probably have ponied up the big bucks to buy the new G8 GT.

now, in the long run, gas is only going to get more expensive as it is a finite commodity. we all know that. but if gas is still this relatively cheap in 5 years when i have hundreds of thousands of miles on the Scion, it's getting replaced with a used G8 for sure!

and aside from the fuel efficiency aspect, i gotta side with Bigg Mann. if you're anything over about 6'2", most of these cars are just NOT an option. i'm 6'7" and 320lbs (and for now, my shoulders are my widest feature so losing weight doesn't help this problem). finding any cars that fit AT ALL is an absolute nightmare, and this push towards making everything smaller isn't helping any. i chose the xB only because of its fuel economy and its excellent use of the small space it has, but i can't really do much smaller. so as cool as that Scion iQ and its competitors look, i'm not interested.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 04-10-2009 at 08:44 AM..

Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
There are people who are willing and able to pay $25,000 for a new Prius. There are also people who can afford to pay $18,000 for a new Smart Car - knowing that it cannot be their only vehicle.

For the REST of us, it makes sense to economize any way we can - and in ways that don't force us to lay out thousands of dollars. There are times when we could walk or ride a bike instead of driving. There are times when we could just stay home instead of going somewhere. And all of us could just drive a little slower and save gas. It really isn't necessary to drive 85 mph down the interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive