Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,691 times

Advertisements

Oregon concern: recently followed new Porche from Sunset Porche with license frame that does not reveal the name of state OREGON, and barely can see month and year. Feel this should be illegal and result in a fine. Dealer should be fined!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 05:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Why would any state NOT have a law against obscuring the license plate?

Some states they don't have to be obscured. I've heard that drug dealers land gang members are plating their cars in Indiana, with "In God We Trust" plates, where the (more important) slogan words are actually in a larger font than a part of the license number. They don't need to be obscured, they are already too small to be seen by LEOs.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Visible during the day, and have a working rear plate light. Cops can and will stop you, along with checking to see that you are legal, and tell you if your lic plate light / lights are out.
Friend of mine is a cop. Says check points usually have at least 1 vehicle out of 10, have a registration problem.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:28 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Too many have clear plastic plate cover that's been oxidized by the sun to the point of rendering the plate unreadable. Some intentionally obscure their plate through smoke or tinted plastic cover or one that's made to distort the plate when viewed at an angle (like red light camera). What these people don't seem to realize is this is grounds for a justifiable traffic stop and ticket. If the cop smells or suspects illegal drugs, you could end up with a vehicle search and arrest.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
I have been using one of those blurry rear license plate covers for 20+ years. Cops have never bothered me about it. If it requires more effort than pulling the trigger on a radar/laser gun, cops are usually too lazy to bother with enforcing any other traffic laws.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I have been using one of those blurry rear license plate covers for 20+ years. Cops have never bothered me about it. If it requires more effort than pulling the trigger on a radar/laser gun, cops are usually too lazy to bother with enforcing any other traffic laws.
Not necessarily so. I bought a Nevada car in Michingan, and drove it for a few days with Nevada plates no problem. When I transferred the plates to Michigan, I got stopped for overtinted windows before I got home from the DMV. Some things they watch like hawks, and are easy to make the stop.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
not sure just where to put this tread but I'd like to know whitch states have laws to ensure license plates can be read!

Thax

Big NO-NO here in WA. I think cuz police around here uses lidars, and they point them at license plates. So anything that deters reflection is forbidden. Also, we have cameras now quite commonly.
They also implemented tracking by license plates system.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Big NO-NO here in WA. I think cuz police around here uses lidars, and they point them at license plates. So anything that deters reflection is forbidden. Also, we have cameras now quite commonly.
They also implemented tracking by license plates system.
We also have to put on front plates, and they have to be replaced (at our cost) every 7 years since they supposedly lose some of their visibility after that time.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:30 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why would any state NOT have a law against obscuring the license plate?

Some states they don't have to be obscured. I've heard that drug dealers land gang members are plating their cars in Indiana, with "In God We Trust" plates, where the (more important) slogan words are actually in a larger font than a part of the license number. They don't need to be obscured, they are already too small to be seen by LEOs.
I'm sure all states have some laws, but some are more stict. NC changed their laws a couple of years ago to state none of the words or stickers could be covered at all, so,basically just the very edge can be covered by about 1/2" at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive