Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:02 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times

Advertisements

Years ago I recall being told that if a car had very low mileage for it's year, it could be just as bad as having really high miles. The reason was that the exhaust didn't get a chance to burn up the build up in the system if the car didn't get out on the highway often enough. Not sure if this applies to cars in the 21st century. Any truth to this? I'm looking at a 2005 Honda Accord with 20K miles and wondering if that's too little. Is there a minimum amount of miles that should be on a car each year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 03:05 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Sounds like another old wives tale

Old 03-15-2009, 03:35 PM

157 posts, read 1,093,481 times
If it was 15 yrs old with 5K miles on it, I'd be more worried about dry rot and things like that, but most cars with those mileages are collector/show cars. A 2005 with 20K miles sounds like a good deal to me. I bought my car with 17K on it and it was 3 yrs old. The 87 yr old lady hardly drove it. I have 52K on it now, 2 yrs later, and I love it. It gets plenty of 'excersize' and never misses a beat. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2009, 03:45 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
I would worry that if the mileage was too low it meant that the car was in the shop more often than it was on the road. I was one of the handful of idiots that bought the Renault Alliance when it came out in the early 1980's. What a piece of crap! When I finally got rid of it after 3 years or so the mileage was very low, but that's because it was hardly ever running.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:36 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
My wife's 2004 CRV only has 24K miles on it. Runs like new. Sounds like its a good deal as long as the price is right.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
I've only put on 10K miles on a new Ford Escape in the past 5 years. As long as the vehicle has been maintained, it shouldn't be a problem. Maintenance items are based on mileage and time, whichever comes first. For most folks, it's mileage, but for some like me, it's time.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:08 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
There are quite a few low-mileage vehicles in the Phoenix area due to much of the older snowbird population storing vehicles down here during most of the year and then only using them when they come down for the winter. When you're retired and only drive a vehicle for 3-4 months out of the year, the mileage tends to stay fairly low. I've seen 2004 Cadillac's with only 10K miles! These vehicles are often impeccably maintained and stored in climate controlled facilies for the majority of the year. I'd have no qualms about buying such a vehicle...

Old 03-15-2009, 05:09 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Years ago I recall being told that if a car had very low mileage for it's year, it could be just as bad as having really high miles. The reason was that the exhaust didn't get a chance to burn up the build up in the system if the car didn't get out on the highway often enough. Not sure if this applies to cars in the 21st century. Any truth to this? I'm looking at a 2005 Honda Accord with 20K miles and wondering if that's too little. Is there a minimum amount of miles that should be on a car each year?
The only time I've ever heard of a problem with mileage being too low was when purchasing a vehicle from a rental fleet. If one vehicle of a particular year shows a substantially lower odometer reading, it probably means it was out of service more than the others. Presumably, this would be because it was in the shop more. In that case, you are probably better off getting one that is close to the average as far a mileage is concerned.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 PM

890 posts, read 3,700,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There are quite a few low-mileage vehicles in the Phoenix area due to much of the older snowbird population storing vehicles down here during most of the year and then only using them when they come down for the winter. When you're retired and only drive a vehicle for 3-4 months out of the year, the mileage tends to stay fairly low. I've seen 2004 Cadillac's with only 10K miles! These vehicles are often impeccably maintained and stored in climate controlled facilies for the majority of the year. I'd have no qualms about buying such a vehicle...
Neither would I...

Example: On eBay motors a few weeks back was a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe (similar to mine; better equipment, had the sunroof and whatnot). It was in Florida but only had 21,000 miles on it and looked impeccable. Willing to bet you money the snowbirds bought it and stored it down there and only drove it during the winter months. If I had the money I would have bought it.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
A 2005 with 20k miles usually means it was driven only sparingly. I bought a car like that which was basically in mint condition and drove it ten years. It was a accord too. Might want to check maintainace but mine was cared for well with everything marked off and receipts in the glove box.Depending on when it was bought; that's about 5000 miles a year;plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive