Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:21 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
It all depends on the way you drive, and the aerodynamics of the vehicle. I had an 89 Camaro with the 305 that averaged 37 MPG on the freeway. (22 MPG with the cruse set on 100 MPH).
That's incredible.

I have never heard of a Camaro that got anywhere near that kind of mileage - especially with a V8 in it.

What tranny was that lashed up to? And do you know, by chance, what the gear ratio was in the rear end? Had you modded it in any way? I've got an 89 Chevy pickup with the 305, and if I could do some simple mods that would significantly increase my mileage, I'd be thrilled.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
That's incredible.

I have never heard of a Camaro that got anywhere near that kind of mileage - especially with a V8 in it.

What tranny was that lashed up to? And do you know, by chance, what the gear ratio was in the rear end? Had you modded it in any way? I've got an 89 Chevy pickup with the 305, and if I could do some simple mods that would significantly increase my mileage, I'd be thrilled.

Thanks!
I have toi wander about his math abilty myself with those claims. I call bull.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:36 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
I had a 70 1/2 Camaro, that depending on the carb/intake I was running at the time, was able to easily pull hi teens to low 20's when trying. But I was running a 2.73 axle so motor just purring at hiway speeds; had decent heads and exhaust for better breathing as well. Of course when the big dual-feed carb went on with different intake.... GULP.....
And had other v8 Chevelles that with the 2bbl carb were not bad either.

So a car with some stones in a v8 could maybe hit in 20's; but upper 30's? Maybe on a trailer.
Even injected and with a good tune, most 4cyl's now struggle to hit high 30's unless in a tiny body.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:37 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
My dad had a '91 S-10 and he used to swear it would get 30+mpg on the hwy. However I never once saw him whip out a calculator and actually do the math required to come to that conclusion. The reality was that it could possibly have gotten low to mid-20's on the hwy...pure hwy driving only with no stops or starts....but that's about it.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I always thought (no physical evidence, just personal prejudice) that that "boxer" engines were less efficient than inline or (well designed) V engines.

I've owned several subies, the last was a '98 Forester/automatic tranny with cruise. I don't recall it ever getting as good highway mileage as our '03 Maxima (3.5/auto) or '04 Lexus RX 330 (3.5/auto) and they're a lot more comfy on the highway.
There's nothing inherently inefficient about boxer engines. In fact a boxer engine has some efficiency gains over their counterparts: a 4-cylinder boxer has a much shorter crankshaft than an inline 4 (less weight, less rotating mass), and boxer engines don't need balance shafts, which cause a slight parasitic loss. Porsche manages 30mpg out of their 2.7L -- not bad considering how high-strung that engine is. Even their 3.8L boxer, with a maximum output of 380HP, manages 26mpg pushing a 3300lb car. That's not bad considering the engine's capabilities.

Another thing to consider is that Subuarus tend to have fairly high axle ratios in part to help their relatively weak engines overcome the extra inertia of the final drive systems (or in the case of their turbocharged versions, to make them that much quicker). The '98 Forester auto, for instance, has a 4.11 axle ratio versus somewhere around 3.8 for the Maxima and 3.5 for the RX330.

Last edited by Drover; 03-19-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM

59 posts, read 183,929 times
Many people have no idea how to calculate MPG. Most people when asked about their mileage will reply, "It's pretty good on gas, I can go all week on a 1/2 tank."

Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfoxxie View Post
Many people have no idea how to calculate MPG. Most people when asked about their mileage will reply, "It's pretty good on gas, I can go all week on a 1/2 tank."
LOL That's a good one. Oh yea well I can go three weeks on a full tank. That's what I call awesome mileage! I drive a Suburban so I must be getting like 50mpg or something crazy. I wonder if GM did something 'special' to my engine to make it get such good mileage!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:32 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
because it doesn't! Hes full of crap. Or don't know how to figure out gas mileage, its impossible. Period. Take it from an automotive engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
That's incredible.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:34 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
exactly. Hes clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I had an 86 camero that was lucky to break 20mpg and I drove it like an old lady. Your calculator must have been broken.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:50 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
because it doesn't! Hes full of crap. Or don't know how to figure out gas mileage, its impossible. Period. Take it from an automotive engineer.
That'd be my guess. But hey, like I said, I've got that pickup with the same engine - and if I could get even 30 mpg out of that I'd be pretty thrilled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive