Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 PM

7 posts, read 16,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDHOG View Post
When you go to buy, remember 2005 hurricane season.
I live in Chicago so it is unlikely I will come across such a vehicle and I will most likely get a Carfax or Autotrader Vehicle history report before buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 PM

30 posts, read 84,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini87 View Post
I live in Chicago so it is unlikely I will come across such a vehicle and I will most likely get a Carfax or Autotrader Vehicle history report before buying.
Good choice and a lot of dealers back then shipped them off their lots and had them cleaned up. Since they were never titled, they were never reported as flooded and issued a salvaged title.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:25 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
If you're considering a 190, be sure to look for the 2.6 or the diesel engine with the automatic transmission. The 190 2.3 had issues some years with the automatic transmissions, though this was solved toward the end of the model's lifespan. A friend had this problem with a 190 that they bought new, with the 2.3, and while the transmission did not fail, it did slug and sometimes had issues slecting the proper gear.

I'd also suggest looking at the 300D or 300E as they were very well built vehicles that are roomier and are not that much more expensive. The W124 was a very good vehicle, though I have heard of issues with 1993 as the engine was switched from earlier iterations. In its final two years, the vehicle was known as the E-class with the number depicting the engine, everything from a diesel to an 8-cylinder, and it did not have issues. I think that the 1993 issue was the 300E, not the 400E.

With any Mercedes, especially a vintage one, you should find a good independent service station that is known for working on the vehicles. Such shops are generally much more reasonable in terms of cost, and maintain the vehicles well. It might be a good idea to find a shop that can do a pre-purchase inspection as well, since they will know what to look for with a given era of Benz to see if it has been maintained or if it is in need of reconditioning.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 16,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you're considering a 190, be sure to look for the 2.6 or the diesel engine with the automatic transmission. The 190 2.3 had issues some years with the automatic transmissions, though this was solved toward the end of the model's lifespan. A friend had this problem with a 190 that they bought new, with the 2.3, and while the transmission did not fail, it did slug and sometimes had issues slecting the proper gear.

I'd also suggest looking at the 300D or 300E as they were very well built vehicles that are roomier and are not that much more expensive. The W124 was a very good vehicle, though I have heard of issues with 1993 as the engine was switched from earlier iterations. In its final two years, the vehicle was known as the E-class with the number depicting the engine, everything from a diesel to an 8-cylinder, and it did not have issues. I think that the 1993 issue was the 300E, not the 400E.

With any Mercedes, especially a vintage one, you should find a good independent service station that is known for working on the vehicles. Such shops are generally much more reasonable in terms of cost, and maintain the vehicles well. It might be a good idea to find a shop that can do a pre-purchase inspection as well, since they will know what to look for with a given era of Benz to see if it has been maintained or if it is in need of reconditioning.
Hi, you seem to be fairly knowledgeable about older Benz so I would like to ask you a few questions. I don't want to buy a inexpensive car and have to spend a bunch of money repairing it, that would defeat the purpose of purchasing a inexpensive car. I am currently a college student, what do you think would be a good inexpensive car for me that would not cost me a bunch of money in terms of maintenance and repairs? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini87 View Post
Hi, you seem to be fairly knowledgeable about older Benz so I would like to ask you a few questions. I don't want to buy a inexpensive car and have to spend a bunch of money repairing it, that would defeat the purpose of purchasing a inexpensive car. I am currently a college student, what do you think would be a good inexpensive car for me that would not cost me a bunch of money in terms of maintenance and repairs? Thanks in advance for your help.
That's the problem with an older Benz, some of them have been maintained and are quite good, and others are money pits until they are brought back to specs as if they had been maintained. Someitmes, you can find good deals on W123 chassis 300D sedans, manufactured until 1985, but that's an older vehicle and does not have airbags, etc. (though some did have ABS as it was an option), and you would definitely need a good shop to handle the repairs and not cost you more than the value of the car. Maintenance on a Benz is going to be higher, but some of them are very durable.

Hondas and Acuras that you were considering in your original post are also good bets. Perhaps you could find a good deal on an Integra, which was a very good vehicle, and economical to run. Most of them are going to be three door hatchbacks, since the sedans were not as large a seller. I would also suggest looking into an Acura TL from its first vintage, say a 2.5TL from the late 90s. The 2.2 and 2.3CL Acuras were also good if you don't mind a coupe. I would say that a decent deal on an Acura, however, is going to be somewhere around $4k for a starting asking price, but you can always negotiate. The Honda Accord is also a reliable vehicle, though it's more plain than the Acuras, but they do last with routine maintenance.

There are some good BMW models, too, but they can be expensive in maintenance/repairs. Volvo has the same issue, in that they can be reliable, but expensive to keep on the road. Also, some of the more reliable BMWs and Volvos are newer and more expensive.

One advantage, however, with an Honda/Acura is that it is a front wheel drive platform. In winter, FWD is easier for many to handle in snow and ice, since the engine is right over the drive wheels. A RWD with traction control is also fairly easy to handle, though there are drawbacks to the handling of a RWD vehicle in snow/ice conditions without stability control that might make it more challenging for a new driver. I cannot think of a vehicle with stability control and RWD that would fit the description as inexpensive to acquire and keep on the road.

If you don't mind a slightly larger vehicle, I would recommend looking into a first generation Toyota Avalon. The Avalon is bigger than the same generation Camry, which is not as substantial as later editions of the Carmy. The Camry and Corolla are reliable, but some earlier editions don't seem as substantial in terms of crash performance; thus, I would tend to look for a Camry or Corolla with side impact air bags, though this might be a newer, more expensive generation of that vehicle.

For an American make, if you don't mind a larger mid-size/large car platform, I would look to a Buick LeSabre or Park Avenue with the 3.8 engine. The final years of the Buick Century, 2003 or newer, are also pretty reliable as is its sportier twin, the Buick Regal, though I would steer clear of the supercharged Regal as it has more maintenance issues, higher insurance premiums, and requires premium fuel. The Regal was always a pretty reliable vehicle, thoguh some years of the Century had issues, because I think it used a different engine. Buicks tend to be bought by more sedate, older drivers who do not want the flash of a Cadillac, yet want a comfortable sedan, many are sold with leather interiors and a full complement of power accessories. Since they tend to attract an older buyer, they not very likely to have been abused, and in some areas can be found with relatively low mileage.

For a large car, the Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Ford Crown Victoria are reliable. Many from the mid-1990s onward had traction control, which became standard in the late90s/early00s on the models. Since they are rear drive, I would only recommend one with traction control in snow/ice country, since it does make a huge difference in the handling. There are still some adjustments as to handling in skids, but it's dramatically improved with the traction control. With this series, steer clear of fleet use vehicles, however, from cabs or police forces as many have very high mileage. They are not expensive to maintain, but they are comparatively large in comparison to other vehicles, and do use more fuel with a V8 engine.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 957 times
will grand marquis motor fit in a lincoln town car

Old 02-09-2010, 12:36 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,051 times
For $2000-$3000. you should be able to get a decent used Civic, Corolla, Camry or Accord that's about 10 years old. These cars are generally low maintenance. Personally I try to find a mid to late 90's Civic for that price range.

Another one to consider would be an AWD Subaru. Tanks and very economical and reliable.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,415,733 times
This thread is almost a year old and was bumped for no reason at all.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM

11 posts, read 36,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I would go for the Honda or Toyota. I've heard that Mercedes and BMWs have really expensive repair and upkeep bills. I'm 20 and drive an 01 accord and its reliable and the biggest expense i've had to do on it was the 80k tuneup.
Toyota, Honda. Those would be my recommendation also. I have heard only good stories about those cars. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive