Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I consider myself a patriot. Although I've owned foreign cars in the past, my last 3 cars have been American. I am at the point now that I consider it un-American for people to be buying foreign cars — even the ones made here since the profits go to other countries. Our economy owes much of its problems today to those inconsiderate people who would not support the work of their neighbors instead of some foreigner.

Besides that, the 3 worst cars in terms of repairs were all foreign: a Honda, an Acura and a BMW. (The Honda was the worst.)
I was a DIEHARD Japanese car fan, as I despised American cars and thought they were junk, which they were. But all those who think American cars are still junk need to drive American cars from 04 and up. I used to think that American cars felt sloppy (many still do) and mainstream Japanese cars felt solid. Now when I drive newer Japanese cars I feel theyre the ones that feel sloppy and underpowered, and the American cars feel solid. LIke I said above, times have changed. Those that havent driven an American car in several years need to do so. The new Ford Fusion not only feels more solid than any Accord or Camry, but it looks eons better and is actually somewhat fun to drive for a family sedan. American cars are actually even trouncing the tried-and-true Japanese cars in most test comparos. American car companies have come a long way, and many still need work, but then again there are some Japanese models that were also trouble prone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I was a DIEHARD Japanese car fan, as I despised American cars and thought they were junk, which they were. But all those who think American cars are still junk need to drive American cars from 04 and up. I used to think that American cars felt sloppy (many still do) and mainstream Japanese cars felt solid. Now when I drive newer Japanese cars I feel theyre the ones that feel sloppy and underpowered, and the American cars feel solid. LIke I said above, times have changed. Those that havent driven an American car in several years need to do so. The new Ford Fusion not only feels more solid than any Accord or Camry, but it looks eons better and is actually somewhat fun to drive for a family sedan. American cars are actually even trouncing the tried-and-true Japanese cars in most test comparos. American car companies have come a long way, and many still need work, but then again there are some Japanese models that were also trouble prone.
Of course it's kind of sad that we have to look to a re-skinned Mazda to regain our American automotive pride.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Of course it's kind of sad that we have to look to a re-skinned Mazda to regain our American automotive pride.
The Z06 isnt reskinned. Neither is the CTS and CTS-V. Nor is the Focus or Edge. Or the Cobalt SS. Our trucks rule the market, too. Now the Titan and Tundra are great trucks, but Nissan and Toyota dont (and probably never will) offer heavy duty trucks. The Malibu isnt re-skinned either is the 300C or other award-winning American cars.

Dont get me wrong, Japan still rules the reliability arena, but are slippin in that department and giving up ground to American companies. I wont even touch on current Japanese design.... its friggin awful.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I always bought american car and trucks until my wife goit a Honda one year old in perfect condition from a friend that goit a divorece and the ex didn't want the car payments. MY wife drove the accord 13 years with just scheduled maintainence. It wa as tight the day we sold it as when new. The most I did in repiars was change a brokien inside door handle. We since have had toyotas and hondas with the same great reliabilty and tighness.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Z06 isnt reskinned. Neither is the CTS and CTS-V. Nor is the Focus or Edge. Or the Cobalt SS. Our trucks rule the market, too. Now the Titan and Tundra are great trucks, but Nissan and Toyota dont (and probably never will) offer heavy duty trucks. The Malibu isnt re-skinned either is the 300C or other award-winning American cars.

Dont get me wrong, Japan still rules the reliability arena, but are slippin in that department and giving up ground to American companies. I wont even touch on current Japanese design.... its friggin awful.
The Z06 is a niche car, and a crude one at that even if it is a relative performance bargain. The Focus is a European design -- and an outdated one at that since Ford refused to bring the 2nd generation here -- and the Edge is based on the Mazda6 platform. The Cobalt is an ancient platform with way-out-of-date design cues and a hideous interior exemplifying many of the American automotive industry's shortfalls that just happens to have a decent engine option in the SS. The Cruze looks to be a major step upward when it replaces the Cobalt -- and let's hope they retain the SS option. I'll give you the CTS on the technical merits but boy is it one hideous beast.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 PM

319 posts, read 963,503 times
Default usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
What's your opinion?

I had a Ford Windstar for several years. The transmission and head gasket were replaced, the tie rods were replaced twice, several issues with the traction control, and for some reason the interior light liked to stay on for a while if you opened the back hatch.

I'm now driving a used honda accord and love it. I will never buy another ford again.
american iron

Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Z06 is a niche car, and a crude one at that even if it is a relative performance bargain. The Focus is a European design -- and an outdated one at that since Ford refused to bring the 2nd generation here -- and the Edge is based on the Mazda6 platform. The Cobalt is an ancient platform with way-out-of-date design cues and a hideous interior exemplifying many of the American automotive industry's shortfalls that just happens to have a decent engine option in the SS. The Cruze looks to be a major step upward when it replaces the Cobalt -- and let's hope they retain the SS option. I'll give you the CTS on the technical merits but boy is it one hideous beast.
I knew Id get that knee-jerk response from you. Are you coming down on the SS Cobalt and CTS-V? Those are the same two cars you highly praised earlier in several of your posts. And yes, the Focus was European in original design, no argument there. The current Focus isnt, however, and while its not much to write home about, its reliable, selling well, and hardly "outdated" with features like Sync, etc. The first generation Focus is STILL to this day a better chassis than most current offerings from other companies. When I went looking for cars awhile back I drove (and have driven prior to) tons of models. Why did I go with the Focus? The chassis. Plain and simple, it rocks. Even in base models the neutrality of the chassis is BMW-esque in feel. I opted for the SVT because it improves upon the base Focus 3 door in incredible ways. The chassis is so friggin good that Im going to have a hard time finding something after it that will be an improvement. Every car I drive after the SVT Focus feels ponderous and slow now. lol

Old 03-21-2009, 12:41 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Chrysler at one time used (and maybe it still does) a Mitsubishi engine i.e. you can buy a Chrysler (American brand) with an engine made by another country.
That is Hyundai's 2.7 liter Delta V6, also used by Mitsubishi in the Galant (I think) and in turn passed down to Chrysler. I believe it was used in the Intrepid, Eagle Vision, etc. mid-size sedans.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:14 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
When we lived in the States we got two American vehicles in order to get a full taste of the Country.

Now we're back in the UK we have two European ones.

Horses for courses.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:43 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I consider myself a patriot. Although I've owned foreign cars in the past, my last 3 cars have been American. I am at the point now that I consider it un-American for people to be buying foreign cars — even the ones made here since the profits go to other countries. Our economy owes much of its problems today to those inconsiderate people who would not support the work of their neighbors instead of some foreigner.
Even buying an American car, you can't guarantee that every penny will stay here. What if the person who put your interior together took his paycheck and went to buy a Japanese TV? This is a global economy...there simply isn't a feasible way to keep every red cent in the U.S.

I admire your candor, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive