Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:07 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,409,455 times

Advertisements

I've never had a diesel myself. I've been told they are more reliable and last longer than gasoline engines. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:29 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,696,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've never had a diesel myself. I've been told they are more reliable and last longer than gasoline engines. Is this true?

Like everything else, there are two sides to every story...Pro, Con, and somewhere in between is the truth.....
On the whole, in this particular thread, I see alot of misconception on the con side....
I would suggest you do a search for some diesel enthusiast forum sites, and begin your education there. By simply spending some time reading the FAQ's on some of those sites you will find much info on the Diesel itself, and the shortcomings/strengths of those in particular that you may be considering purchasing.

I'm not sure about the protocall of linking to such a site here, so I'll suggest you google "diesel towing resource" and check the forums there. There is a section for every major player in the light truck world. As well as current news.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:14 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times
Quote:
Absolutely, 300,000+ is normal for a diesel. If you need the torque for towing, or not one of those that 'must' have a new truck every few years to stroke their ego, diesel's will just keep going and going and going.

And they get much better mileage than their gas counterparts.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,696,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Absolutely, 300,000+ is normal for a diesel. If you need the torque for towing, or not one of those that 'must' have a new truck every few years to stroke their ego, diesel's will just keep going and going and going.

And they get much better mileage than their gas counterparts.
My odometer quit working last week, at a little over 200,500 miles. The truck is 15 years old. Generally speaking the rest of the truck will fall down, before the Diesel will, provided you adhere to proper maintenance guidelines.

I suspect I will go at least another 50,000 before a major is required, the cast nodular iron crankshaft being the main inherent weakness in my particular application....like I said, those forums are your best friend for pre purchase research.

Or, if you care to take my word for it.....just get the 12V(valve) Cummins..cant go wrong.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:25 PM

371 posts, read 934,632 times
When they make a 1/2 ton diesel truck and sell it here I would buy it in a heartbeat...First one of the big 3 that gets off there butts and puts it out gets my $$$...They all have them but are not putting them out yet for some stupid reason...If it happens to be a Japanese maker so be it...They will get my $$$ then...

Old 03-29-2009, 06:29 PM

28,982 posts, read 14,317,975 times
I will hopefully never own another gasser truck or car for that matter as far as daily drivers are concerned.
I've got an 01' Dodge Ram/Cummins and a 00' VW Jetta TDI. Both vehicles have been modded (injectors, programming, turbo's, exhaust) and are fun as hell to drive. It's too bad we don't have more diesels available to us.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:36 PM

1,765 posts, read 7,308,864 times
I was going to say, there are several smaller trucks with diesel engines made by the well known companies and sold in other countries. My in-laws are mostly all farmers in the RP, and have mostly old but one new small diesel truck. It's a Hilux and quite a nice truck. I'd buy one (but don't need another truck/off road vehicle for a while, lol)

There's a big problem with the way the regulations hit diesels in the US. Until they fix a broken regulatory system, we'll have gas and crazy ethanol (or other things that burn food crops).

Old 03-29-2009, 08:05 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,296,486 times
Quote:
No many newer diesel pickups are having reliability issues and they don't last any longer either.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,211,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
No many newer diesel pickups are having reliability issues and they don't last any longer either.
Well in some cases. The early Duramax's had injector issues and the 6.0 Powerstroke had all kinds of problems. The 7.3 Powerstrokes and the 5.9 Cummins are bulletproof though and the new Duramax's are doing good. Most people stay away from diesels because they're a $6000-$7000 option on most 3/4-1 ton pickups.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 AM

28,982 posts, read 14,317,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Well in some cases. The early Duramax's had injector issues and the 6.0 Powerstroke had all kinds of problems. The 7.3 Powerstrokes and the 5.9 Cummins are bulletproof though and the new Duramax's are doing good. Most people stay away from diesels because they're a $6000-$7000 option on most 3/4-1 ton pickups.
Along with that added cost of $6k-7k, your getting larger brakes, higher capacity radiators, trans coolers, in some cases better transmissions, larger axles, etc.. so all around the 3/4 ton and up package is a heavier duty longer lasting vehicle than the 1/2 ton's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive