Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,921,154 times

Advertisements

So you own a pickup truck. Do you mind answering a few questions?

1. If you have any reasons, why did you pick the truck you drive right now?

2. I live in NC. I currently drive a Honda Civic and have never owned a truck. "off road" to me is when I have to park in the grass at the fair. We don't get much snow here either. Would 4x4 be a waste for me? Is there a downside as far as being more mechanically complex, gas mileage etc?

3. With a "crew cab" is the bed shorter? I read somewhere about 6" being a sort of standard bed size for carrying sheets of plywood. I don't do much woodworking, but I might have to move a couch or mattress sometime. Do you often find you wish you had more length in the bed? (That sounds kinda like an Enzyte commercial, doesn't it?)

4. Some of the "extended cabs" have various small, fold down sort of seats; others just have storage. I have a small family; just me, the wife and my daughter, who is 4. But I keep thinking I really want real seats in the back, even though I can count the number of times my wife and child have been in the Civic on one hand. We always take the wife's car when we go out. Did you have this same argument with yourself? Which way did you land, and do you regret it?

Of what I've seen so far, I like the Dodge Dakota and Toyota Tacoma; the sort of bigger mid-size, V6 sort of thing. What else might I like and why?

Thanks, I do appreciate your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 08:51 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,951,552 times
Truck or not depends on a persons need at time of purchase...not to be with COOL guys who drive a truck like many today.

Personal story;

Going to college drove a cad convertible,,,sold it to get married after graduation.
Some yrs later and kids...station wagon.
Kids got older had three cads...two cpes for my business...4 dr for the wife and kids.
In addition to the cads bought PU to carry camper and to pull a 26 ft travel trailer...4 vacations a yr.

So you see a PU is not only for a status symbol but has to have a use or it's a waste.

With a 4 yr old look ahead. Steve

Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM

806 posts, read 2,962,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post

I've owned trucks most of my life but now I drive a pretty nice full-sized 4x4 Z71 chevy tahoe. I'd rec. the SUV to you, I really like the GMC Yukon, Tahoe, Escalade, etc. I drove trucks because I hunt and fish and its the easiest thing to use for those activities. Deer hunting sucks with the tahoe since I have to haul the deer on the trailer(but I have an atv trailer anyway for the Tahoe, though before I could load the ATV on the back of the truck).

Quote:

2. I live in NC. I currently drive a Honda Civic and have never owned a truck. "off road" to me is when I have to park in the grass at the fair. We don't get much snow here either. Would 4x4 be a waste for me? Is there a downside as far as being more mechanically complex, gas mileage etc?
Most likely, you can do everything you'd like with a 2wd.

Quote:
3. With a "crew cab" is the bed shorter? I read somewhere about 6" being a sort of standard bed size for carrying sheets of plywood. I don't do much woodworking, but I might have to move a couch or mattress sometime. Do you often find you wish you had more length in the bed? (That sounds kinda like an Enzyte commercial, doesn't it?)
Eh, not sure. You can always get an extended bed option. I'd say, you can let the back down if must have extra room. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
4. Some of the "extended cabs" have various small, fold down sort of seats; others just have storage. I have a small family; just me, the wife and my daughter, who is 4. But I keep thinking I really want real seats in the back, even though I can count the number of times my wife and child have been in the Civic on one hand. We always take the wife's car when we go out. Did you have this same argument with yourself? Which way did you land, and do you regret it?

Of what I've seen so far, I like the Dodge Dakota and Toyota Tacoma; the sort of bigger mid-size, V6 sort of thing. What else might I like and why?

I would get a full size Silverado, F150, Sierra, Tundra if I were you. These trucks have more interior room for a family, more power, and just have better looks to me. But for you, since you do not hunt or fish, and only need it for the back-- I'd get a 2wd Tacoma V6 Prerunner Crew Cab.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Id look into a Tacoma PreRunner. Its a short cab/short bed, but it seems like you just want a truck to have a truck. Its 2WD, but has great suspension for light off-roading, and sits a lot higher than normal 2WD small trucks.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:21 PM

806 posts, read 2,962,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id look into a Tacoma PreRunner. Its a short cab/short bed, but it seems like you just want a truck to have a truck. Its 2WD, but has great suspension for light off-roading, and sits a lot higher than normal 2WD small trucks.
My exact advice. Great suggestion for the original poster.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,709,215 times
Quote:

I bought my current truck 10 years ago, when my sons & I started doing a side-line lawn mowing business. We needed something to pull a trailer.

4-wheel driver, or 2-wheel drive depends entirely upon what you want to do with your truck. For me, it made no sense to spend the extra money on a 4x4 truck, because you're not mowing lawns when there's snow. Also a 4x4 truck usually gets slightly poorer mileage than a 2 wheel drive.

It's typical to have a crew-cab pickup and a 6' box, but you can also get an 8' box with a crew-cab. The wheel-base of the truck is just longer.
My truck is a regular cab, and has an 8' box. I think if I only had a 6' box I'd find myself always wanting the 8' box. But I also do quite a bit of carpentry work, so I'm regularly hauling plywood & drywall.

For me, the decision to go with the regular cab truck was pretty simple: This particular truck was just a great deal.
I had 3 teenage kids when I bought this truck, so we were never "all" going to be in it anyway.

Honestly, I can't answer your last questions. That's entirely up to you - and is based on what you want, what you need, what you can afford, and what you hope to do with your truck.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 PM

880 posts, read 2,349,052 times

I own an 06 Chevy Silverado (this is my second one.) It is a regular cab, longbed, 2wd. I loe 2wd models, and I got a great deal on it.
4wd drive adds front end height, extra weight, and reduces gas milage. If you plan on going off road, get it. 4wd also increases your truck's resale value, something to keep in mind if you are going to sell it later.
I prefer long beds myself, but if you are switching from a Honda to a longbed/extended cab, you may find the truck hard to drive due to its length. Tie down straps can always keep furniture secure in a short bed.
All extended cabs come with rear seats (your confusion may be that last year's Ford regular cabs look like extended cabs - they have four doors.) Fullsize trucks will give you the most useable interior room.
The Tacomas are nice, but they are expensive. If I was in the market, I'd buy an 09 GMC Sierra extended cab. You can get these with either front bucket seats or bench seats. I love bench seats. The best way to really chose a truck is to try one out. Drive it around, try parking it in tight spaces, climb into the back seats, etc. A Civic is an appliance, gets you from point A to point B. A truck is a new girlfriend, a multi-talented new girlfriend.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:54 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,798,521 times
Yes I drive a 2WD S-10 that's still running like a top with 183k on her.

1. Because I've liked them since they were popular in high school, they're good trucks (at least the one I have is) with nice body lines (the box style is, not the new style) and you can fit a V8 in them to make them a cheap hot rod on a budget.

2. 4X4 would cost you more in fuel, it's good for if you want to go mudding or snow busting when you get snow. Also good for when you live in the sticks where the roads don't get plowed.

3. Depends. On the S-10's, yes. Some other trucks, no. I've never ran into an issue with bed space and mine's a 6 footer.

4. Mine's not an ex cab but those little seats you speak of are called "jumper" seats, and they're worthless IMO. If you want a real rear seat you have to get a quad cab compact or a full size ex cab.

Never owned a Dakota but have never heard a good thing about them. Don't know on the Tacoma.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:30 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,921,154 times
Thanks for the replies all!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,922,272 times
Quote:
so you own a pickup truck. Do you mind answering a few questions?

I just wanted a pick up with 4wd becasue i wanted to figure out whether it was worth getting 4wd before i bought a newer nicer truck. I only used the 4wd about 15 times each year, but it was very important to hve it those 15 or so days. I just boughtte first cheap 4wd that was in good condition which happened to be an f-150. I liked it fine except that it had a cop (coil on plug) configuration and i had to replace the coil packs one after another. Very expensive and time consuming. I will never buy anything with cop again. Eventually the engine siezed up, but that was not something that made me dislike ford. It could have happened with any brand.

At present i am looking for an avalanche. I like the driver/passenger space. I like a lot of the features like the hard sectional bed cover, the tool boxes/coolers built into the side walls of the bed, and the plethora of standard options. I am not a cushy ride kind of person, but the smoother ride is sometimes nicer than the rough teeth jarring ride of a truck. I do not like the tiny bed and the price. They are considerably more expensive than a regular crewcab truck. Also i do not think they are as good off road as a regualr truck, but i am not certain of that. They also have an image problem as they tend to be driven by urban warriors who buy four wheel drive because it is "cool" eventhough they never have hany use for it whatsoever, they buy a truck becuase it is "cool" even though they have no use for a truck at all. I dislike that image. But image is not going to keep me from buying a truck that i like better.

2. I live in nc. I currently drive a honda civic and have never owned a truck. "off road" to me is when i have to park in the grass at the fair. We don't get much snow here either. Would 4x4 be a waste for me? Is there a downside as far as being more mechanically complex, gas mileage etc?

Without snow off road or heavy mud that you have to drive in, do not get a 4x4. Mileage is worse, insurance is more, there is a little bit more maintainance to do and it is harder to do yourself. Therre are more parts to break as the truck ages. I cannot understand people who buy 4x4 trucks to drive on paved roads inmild climates. If you are impressed by trucks that say 4x4 on the side, just buy a stencil and some paint.

3. With a "crew cab" is the bed shorter? I read somewhere about 6" being a sort of standard bed size for carrying sheets of plywood. I don't do much woodworking, but i might have to move a couch or mattress sometime. Do you often find you wish you had more length in the bed? (that sounds kinda like an enzyte commercial, doesn't it?)

a sheet of plywood (or drywall), mosy lumber, pvc sections, etc. Are 8' long and 4' wide. If you want to carry plywood, you will want a full sized truck or at least a bed that is 4' wide (do not forget to measure between te wheel wells). With a 6' bed you can leave the gate down and easily haul plywood. A long bed truck is harder to park (a lot) and gets slightly less mileage. Unless you really need a long bed for some reason, (like you are a framer or a carpenter) i would go with short bed. It is nice to get lumber all the way in and close the tailgate so you know that it cannot slide out, but not worth it unless you haul lumber regularly. I found myself wishing that i had four doors rather than a three door extended cab more often than i was wishing that i had a longer bed. But then i have 5 kids.

4. Some of the "extended cabs" have various small, fold down sort of seats; others just have storage. I have a small family; just me, the wife and my daughter, who is 4. But i keep thinking i really want real seats in the back, even though i can count the number of times my wife and child have been in the civic on one hand. We always take the wife's car when we go out. Did you have this same argument with yourself? Which way did you land, and do you regret it?

Those littel fold down seats are horrible to sit on for any length of time. There are safety issues as well. I far prefer front facing seats. The truck is mostly for me, but we still end up using it at times (mom is away, her car is in the shop, etc). You will eventually end up hauling not only your child, but her friends too. What about more kids later? Do you have any friends who might go somewhere with you?

Keep in mind that it is less safe for a childd to sit in the front seat (and be sure to turn off the airbag).

Of what i've seen so far, i like the dodge dakota and toyota tacoma; the sort of bigger mid-size, v6 sort of thing. What else might i like and why?

I really do not care for the mini pick ups. They do not cost much less (used they are sometimes more expensive), do not get significantly better mileage. The beds are too narrow. And those horrible fold down back seats are all but useless. They handle poorly, the front seats are two small for long trips if you are large. I simply could not find any reason to choose a mini truck over full size.

Thanks, i do appreciate your feedback.
most i8mportant, buy what works for you. That is why i choose tobuy a cheap junker to drive for a year or two to figure out what i really needed.wanted before i invested big money. What i determined is that i love having a pick up. I haul stuff in it regularly and it is great for camping (family members want to borrow it all the time). I also decided that i really want 4wd becuase i hate getting stuck and i love helping people get unstuck. I also decided that i really need crew cab or some form of four door truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive