Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 AM

925 posts, read 4,707,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am tired of going to the gas station and filling up my car tire air. IS there any pump available that I can use at home and which does not cost a lot. It should be able to fit all the cars since I have two cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
I don't remember the brand, since it has been a long time since I bought it, but I have one. It's about a foot long, has a light on one end, and runs off a cord that plugs into your cigarette lighter.

It is slow, but it gets the job done. By slow, I mean that it'll take 10 minutes to pump up a car tire that is completely flat - assuming there's not a major gash or leak in the tire. My sons & I used to run a rather sizeable lawn-mowing service, and we were always using it for mower tires too.

I'd recommend to everyone that they have one in their car(s).

It's something like this one - though not exactly.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...014/p3400.html

Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Hi,

I am tired of going to the gas station and filling up my car tire air. IS there any pump available that I can use at home and which does not cost a lot. It should be able to fit all the cars since I have two cars.
Many stores, including Walmart, sell a cheap air compressor that connects to your car's outlet/cigarette lighter. I've had the same model since 1998 and it still works fine. It even has a built in flashlight. The built in flashlight is for if you have to change a flat tire at night. You put it facing on coming traffic and set it to the emergency flash mode and it does a warning flash for oncoming traffic to let them know where you are. It can also be used for seeing inside or around the vehicle. These cheap models are NOT TO BE USED FOR INFLATING A COMPLETELY FLAT TIRE!!!!! They are to be used for maintaining proper tire pressure and the pressure of your emergency spare tire. I had a blow out in Dallas and discovered my spare tire was very low on air. Because it's a donut spare, it was easily able to inflate the spare prior to my putting it on the car. This model also comes with a built in pressure gage. This gage isn't very accurate but gives you a general idea what is your tire pressure. More expensive models, like what I see at Sears, are digital and you can even set the tire's pressure, turn on the pump, and it'll shut off when it reaches the set pressure. No matter what model you get, you should have a tire pressure gage to use for testing the pressure without the compressor. Digital models are more accurate but the cheap old fashion ones are better than nothing at all. If your car comes with tire pressure monitoring then you can use that instead but it won't work for the spare tire.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Well how much is too much?

I've got a little craftsman portable air compressor that was about $125.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...+%26+Air+Tools

But you can find similar ones as low as say $70. Go to Amazon (or something like it) and do a search on "Air Compressor"

You can find mini electric compressors for $30-$70 but a lot of them are for emergency use only. They take a long time to air up a car tire in a lot of cases. Go to Amazon (or something like it) and do a search on "Tire Inflator".

Last edited by drjones96; 10-13-2009 at 09:14 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 08:22 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
I have one of these - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators

It plugs into the wall outlet and pumps pretty fast - $55.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
search craigslist

i bought a used, 60 gallon 2.5 horse air compressor that will put out 7cfm at 150psi, i use it to run tools, inflate tires, everything, its a 50's commercial unit and is silent.. i paid $250.00

invest $150 or more and you will be happy, and can do small projects too.. i say that because if you spend another $75 on an impact gun and the couple sockets to change your own wheels, you can do your own tire rotations as well as change a flat for a spare in a matter of minutes

Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
You need something like this...

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

a lot of times they have it on sale for $89.00...

It will handle what you want and it will not take 10 minutes to fill a tire...

Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

I should get one of those. It's like the ones at the station where you can check your tire pressure periodically while you're airing it up right?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
those are the least accurate

in reality, a high quality dial gauge is the most accurate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive