Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 1976 full-size wagon?
Chevrolet Caprice Estate 4 33.33%
Ford LTD Country Squire 7 58.33%
Plymouth Fury Sport Suburban 0 0%
AMC Matador Brougham 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:56 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,102,976 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that 454 is one needed option that car lacks. My car has the 402 big block and its still no rocket, but these cars are super heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
The main thing against that Caprice wagon to me is the lack of a 454. These are big cars and they need all the torque they can get and the smaller engines don't get much better gas mileage in these from what I can tell. They don't say what engine that Impala has but that car looks exactly like the one my parents had. I mean that car looks great and I showed it to my dad and he was like wow. I would love to have that Impala wagon but it is way over priced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Yeah, its a nice muscle car, but has a luxury look as well... what, with the white wall tires and the full wheelcovers and vinyl top.

I agree about the young lady at the wheel. Check this out... here is a 1972 price is right (I may have posted it before). It has a 72 Caprice Kingswood Estate station wagon identical to mine in the showcase... notice the lady hosting the soft drink at 1:50... dont she look like the same lady? Immedietly after that, it shows the station wagon. Wish mine was still that nice. lol.

YouTube - ‪The Price is Right 1972 Showcases‬‎

That 72 Caprice you seen today sounds neat... was it a 2 or 4dr? I pass by a house daily with a 73 Caprice Classic sedan setting in the drive... its white with blue interior. One day I was passing in my 73 Pontiac Grand Ville and all at the same time, a green 73 Olds Omega 4dr and a black 73 Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe was all there together... that was kinda weird having four 1973 GM cars in the same place at the same time while driving along. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
base model blue Challenger--just what I wish how would make the current retro Challenger which is a bit too sporty for my tastes(I like a more simple personal luxury look)

my 5th grade teacher had a 70 Challenger, rust colored with a black vinyl roof

would not kick out the girl sitting at the wheel either!!

I saw a 72 Caprice blue with black vinyl roof today-the driver double parked it while he ran into an ATM. not many around here in The Bronx but it's not uncommon to see them every so often. someone had a red 74 Eldorado Convertible parked outside a steak place--the car was immaculate
I think the one reason they "down" Mopars of that era with the ride was they had kept the "dated" rear leaf spring suspension even on the large luxury New Yorker and Imperial LeBarons which sometimes had a softer ride than cars with rear coil springs, but I can imagine a New Yorker or Imperial riding harshly.

Quote:
in the Satellite ad, then read this about what CFR's had to say about the 73 Coronet:

"Although Chrysler Corp has been touting a smoother and quieter ride this year, we found the ride to be worse than in previous models, and the noise level inside the Coronet was the highest in this group. With two adults aboard the Coronet, we judged the ride fair. The car bobbed constantly on all but the smoothest secondary roads; occasionally the rear suspension delivered a sharp jolt to the car's occupants. Secondary roads and freeway expansion joints caused sharp thumps and considerable body quiver; because that ride quality was noticeably worse than that of the last Chrysler Corp intermediate we tested we check tested the ride of another sample. The results turned out to be similar

With a full load aboard the Coronet, the ride became poor. Even fairly smooth roads elicited considerable body shake and suspension bottoming

Both out test car and a check tested sample had a loud rear axle noise at about 40 mph. At 30 mph, coarse grainy road surfaces also produced noise inside the Coronet. We judged the Coronet to be fairly noisy"

BTW, what is the loud rear axle noise they are complaining of?

For a car advertised to be so quiet, they make it out to be a noisebox. do you think CR's were being too picky?

my neighbor had a 73 Satellite, I rode in it once or twice at low speed, didn't seem particularly noisy or harsh to me (well not like our 75 Century Regal)

Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,547,633 times
Default was Price is Right

the show where the contestants tried to start the Chevy's at the end of the show? I distinctly recall the contestants having a choice of upscale Chevys like Caprice Classic, Laguna, Monte Carlo. if this was the show then this was my lunchtime entertainment way back in the summer of 73 as a little kid

that Caprice was a dark green 4 door sedan, not a hardtop

Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
the show where the contestants tried to start the Chevy's at the end of the show? I distinctly recall the contestants having a choice of upscale Chevys like Caprice Classic, Laguna, Monte Carlo. if this was the show then this was my lunchtime entertainment way back in the summer of 73 as a little kid

that Caprice was a dark green 4 door sedan, not a hardtop
No, TPIR wasnt the show that did that. I know the show you are thinking of, but I cant think of it now. Maybe it was Cardsharks? I will have to research that. I remember you won a key and tried to see if it would start a car. TPIR did have a game where you tried to insert a key into locks and hope you had the key that opened a car though... that game was called Master Key.

I do wonder though if that "Barkers Beauty" in that clip of TPIR was the same chic in that Dodge ad.

This one features a 75 Caprice Classic sport sedan....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLSuW...eature=related

Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Default I believe

the game show that gave the contestant the car key ran from 1972-1975 and was revived in 1986

Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
the game show that gave the contestant the car key ran from 1972-1975 and was revived in 1986
Well, I dont think it was card sharks. I will rack my brain now trying to think of what game show that was. LOL!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 PM

Default Ok I think I have it

I think it was Split Second

Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Default Description of Split Second

The reward for winning this game was a chance to try a key in one of the five automobiles on-stage. If the key didn't work, the contestant came back the next day to try to win another key.

Every day the champion returned a car would be removed from the stage - increasing the odds of winning that coveted '74 Vega hatchback with 8-track stereo and whitewall tires.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 PM

Default Description of Split Second II

here's more

Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 PM

Default here's more detail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_Second_(game_show)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive