Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 1976 full-size wagon?
Chevrolet Caprice Estate 4 33.33%
Ford LTD Country Squire 7 58.33%
Plymouth Fury Sport Suburban 0 0%
AMC Matador Brougham 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

post of the 72 Newport, tennesee. you know what i like. i can't get over though, why they made those 69-73 Newports so tacky, especially inside. i can never understand why they made it when the quality looks worse than a Plymouth Gran Sedan, which is more luxurious and better looking, and all the customer is getting is more power from a bigger engine and more sheet metal and weight, for that they should either go up to a New Yorker or down to a Gran Sedan (or Monaco which was far better looking then the Newport). look at that door panel, it looks no better than a compact

I have to give the person credit though, i like those conservative hubcaps for a big car. many have those silly sport hubcaps on these cars, making these cars look ugly and ominous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Your welcome. Yeah, I think this is the base Newport, but still being a Chrysler, you would think it would have a little more class. Notice there is not even any carpeting on the lower door panel. Even my old 1971 Chevy Caprice had carpeting on the lower door panel. It was the fanciest Chevy, but it was a Chevy, GM's entry level make and Chrysler was the upscale model from them. I think the comparible base model Buick LeSabre that year at least had carpeting on the lower door panel. Also the dash panel looks to have very little woodgrain trim, which was a big deal on 70s luxury cars. Even my 72 Caprice wagon has it all the way across. Yeah, has the big hubcaps... not the 1/2 ones. Looks better with these imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
post of the 72 Newport, tennesee. you know what i like. i can't get over though, why they made those 69-73 Newports so tacky, especially inside. i can never understand why they made it when the quality looks worse than a Plymouth Gran Sedan, which is more luxurious and better looking, and all the customer is getting is more power from a bigger engine and more sheet metal and weight, for that they should either go up to a New Yorker or down to a Gran Sedan (or Monaco which was far better looking then the Newport). look at that door panel, it looks no better than a compact

I have to give the person credit though, i like those conservative hubcaps for a big car. many have those silly sport hubcaps on these cars, making these cars look ugly and ominous

Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, the Matador was strange those years... I liked the 71-73 Matador wagons and particularly the Ambassador wagons...
here is a side shot of a 1973 Ambassador Brougham wagon...

Oh yeah, a wagon stemming from that strange Matador coupe design would have been quite interesting! For those that dont know what we are talking about, well.... here are some 1974 Matador coupes...

Here are more Matador wagons from 1977-78 era...

and a 1974 Matador wagon...

You was talking about the Matador not fitting well as a wagon... its strange isnt it? I have found that the Concord (once called Hornet) wagon seemed to have been a good fit to a wagon... this is a 1978 Concord D/L wagon... (I think this car is rather tasteful).

and a older version of this wagon... a 1976 Hornet Sportabout (grandma had a hatchback version of this car back in the late 80s and early 1990s- same year, same color... it was yellow with a brown vinyl top. It had like 35K actual miles. These cars had bulletproof drivetrains (it had the 258 I6, automatic, A/C, tilt wheel, map lights, FM radio, etc), but the interiors looked very cheap. Ironically, grandpa still has a 1976 AMC Gremlin - also yellow w/brown interior. 52K miles, loaded for a car like this, it has A/C, auto, PS, PB, FM radio, etc.
Anyway, the '76 Hornet wagon...
wow, it hurts your eyes to look at it!

Notice how AMC used these wheels on alot of their cars (even in these photos)... the big Matador wagon and grandmas old Hornet had these and grandpas current Gremlin has these wheels as well!

The next time you are behind a newer Lincoln and think I've seen that license plate/back up light chrome surround before, look at the 74 Matador coupe rear picture

Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 PM

Great scene of a 72 Gran Torino Squire (10 minute clip)

Love this movie... 1976 movie, "Night Terror" starring Valerie Harper. She is driving a nearly new 1972 Gran Torino Squire.... occasionally its a 75 or 76 Gran Torino Squire like when this first starts out... lol. Also notice only the headlights are on when she leaves her motel (no taillights or side lights). After the traffic light incident, its a 72 model, then a 76 model again, then back to a 72. lol. This is a 10 minute clip that shows the wagon almost the entire time.

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lzLS...eature=related

then here is the next 10 minutes....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLh8p-llvgc&NR=1

go to around 7:30 on this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfI70...eature=related

Would LOVE to have this car!

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 07-23-2010 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM

Someone on another site told me they actually had 3 different examples of these cars (above links) for this movie.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Sorry that first link I posted was wrong... its this one. Sorry.

YouTube - Night Terror (1977) P3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Great scene of a 72 Gran Torino Squire (10 minute clip)

Love this movie... 1976 movie, "Night Terror" starring Valerie Harper. She is driving a nearly new 1972 Gran Torino Squire.... occasionally its a 75 or 76 Gran Torino Squire like when this first starts out... lol. Also notice only the headlights are on when she leaves her motel (no taillights or side lights). After the traffic light incident, its a 72 model, then a 76 model again, then back to a 72. lol. This is a 10 minute clip that shows the wagon almost the entire time.

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lzLS...eature=related

then here is the next 10 minutes....

YouTube - Night Terror (1977) P4

go to around 7:30 on this one...

YouTube - Night Terror (1977) P5

Would LOVE to have this car!

Old 07-25-2010, 02:47 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Was looking for a first car for my Grandson and this popped up in our local paper.

1977 Dodge Crestwood SW, 9 passenger, 360 V8, Auto, PB, PS, AC
26K miles, $11,800 OBO.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 PM

Default are you sure

there was a Coronet Crestwood in 77? I know the Coronet was renamed the Monaco for the 76 model year, I don't even know if there was a Crestwood in 75

Old 07-25-2010, 03:22 PM

Watched again and around 2:12, another blooper... when it shows the gas gauge this time, it does not say "unleaded fuel only", so they showed the gauge of the 72 model here, whereas they had been showing the 76 models gauge that said unleaded fuel only. Also right after that, does that sound like a Mopar starter sound to you? lol. They (movies) always seemed to use the sound of Mopar starter sounds on all cars... I guess where they were so much more pronounced. After the car stalls in this scene, its pretty boring until she gets the car started and on her way again at the first of the next scene.

YouTube - Night Terror (1977) P4

Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM

Default The Torinos

and Montegos were really made into deluxe cars starting in 72. Knocked the Coronet and Satellite out of first place ranking in Consumer Reports, but for 73 the new Century knocked the Torino out of first place(the new Century and even the Matador made the Torinos show their age really fast in CR tests).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive