Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Can you build a vehicle from scratch? Yes! It will cost more than buying one already assembled at a factory though. The bonus is that you get exactly what you want.

Do you need to start with a valid VIN and/or Title? No! You can make a vehicle from scratch and then apply for an "assembled vehicle" Title and new VIN from your states version of the DMV. At least in all the states I have lived in. I have a Jeep that I changed so many things on, the State recommended that I change the title to an assembled vehicle and get a new VIN number for it because it was basically a new vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
This is the reason that there are now more existing examples of some rare early Ferrari cars than the factory built. An original car was wrecked and essentially demolished, but people grabbed parts and built 2 or 3 clones from it.

In some states it is probably better to have an older VIN associated with a built-up vehicle if you can, for example (I think) in CA if the car is older than a certain year you can avoid smog checks.

A lot of choppers and many trikes are built from scratch, starting with a custom frame.

A friend is building a Deva from scratch in his garage, he's got over $50K in it so far, although it's nearly finished...

As noted it does not really make any financial sense to do this, but you certainly get a car that's all your own.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:56 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

What model is it? Well it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56, '57 '58, '59 automobile....

lol... yeah then it went onto, "its a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67, '68, '69, '70 automobile", as it faded out. I love that song.

The song was recorded in 1976, so I wonder if a version ever faded out saying '76 automobile? Here is a photo of the car he supposedly built... Big Mann, dont let your car turn out like this. lol

In Johnny Cashs music video of this song, there is actually another car in the video... its not this car I dont think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive