Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Wing View Post
I only assume I'm talking to people below me when they say silly, unqualified things like you do. Are all police brutalizers? Are all doctors *******s? Maybe you should look at people and businesses independently? You may just get past your preconceived notions and find a friend.

I am also going to suggest that you are your own worst enemy. Going to any shop that tries to lure people in with coupons and deals is almost a guaranteed losing situation. Any reputable shop does not need to offer teasers to get people through the door. Are you telling me you don't know of ONE single reputable shop in the U.S.?

Your anger comes from where all anger and fear come from: ignorance. If you knew anything about modern cars,you'd be able to discern intelligently when someone is trying to rip you off and when they are legitimately trying to help you.

And why is it ripping you off when a shop makes sure they can pay their expenses and maybe even come out with a little profit? How would you feel if someone told you that you had to forgo profit in your job?

It is obvious to me that you are a bitter person that refuses to see the world as it is. Everyone is not out to get you. There's many of us out here that want to help people. But unless you accept this possibility you will keep bitterly knocking around your life like you have been so consistently all these years.

You can assume anything about me you want to assume. But you'll almost certainly be wrong.

The bottom line is that I believe you are yet another in a long line of dishonest, thieving mechanics that will lie, cheat and steal in order to line his own pockets.

You tell people they need repairs they don't need. You scare them into getting things fixed that aren't broken. In short, you're just flat-out unethical and dishonest.

And you'd be wrong about me being bitter. I don't take any of my vehicles to "trained professional thieves." I don't need to. I do all my work myself - and the trouble free miles I drive all my vehicles is testimony to the fact that I know what I'm doing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to hop in my Focus that has 195,000 miles on it, and take my daughter to her cello lesson. Meanwhile, you're free to lie to another customer so that he/she will pay you $500+ to do some unnecessary repairs on his vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM

58 posts, read 340,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You can assume anything about me you want to assume. But you'll almost certainly be wrong.

The bottom line is that I believe you are yet another in a long line of dishonest, thieving mechanics that will lie, cheat and steal in order to line his own pockets.

You tell people they need repairs they don't need. You scare them into getting things fixed that aren't broken. In short, you're just flat-out unethical and dishonest.

And you'd be wrong about me being bitter. I don't take any of my vehicles to "trained professional thieves." I don't need to. I do all my work myself - and the trouble free miles I drive all my vehicles is testimony to the fact that I know what I'm doing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to hop in my Focus that has 195,000 miles on it, and take my daughter to her cello lesson. Meanwhile, you're free to lie to another customer so that he/she will pay you $500+ to do some unnecessary repairs on his vehicle.

I think it's amusing and ironic that you make fun of me for assuming about you, then you go and make assumptions about me. Classic.

Do you have any evidence that I suggest unnecessary repairs? Even if I did, tell me WHAT PROOF do you have? Tell me, are your friends tired of you ranting about "thieves" all the time? Or do you fix all their cars out of the goodness of your own heart? What worries me about you is that there are many in the world like you. People who jump to conclusions, people who get rigidly set in preconceived notions. People who think they know it all, but who feel the pain when they really admit to themselves privately that they are simply posturing.

You do all your own work? I'll make a wager with you. I'll hire you right now, today. I'll pay your airfare here and set you up with a 5,600 square foot house, at my expense. I'll take care of you AND your family's per diem. I'll give you two late model BMW's to drive. And I expect that I will not have to tell you anything. You will be Jesus Christ to me. And do you know why I seriously offer this? Because the guy you claim to be is very hard to find, even among trained technicians. What is your training? Self-taught? The reason I don't believe you do your own work is because I know how difficult this work can be and you don't seem to have any appreciation of that. That is why all, and I mean ALL the professional technicians on this site (sorry guys) laugh at you and what you say. None of us, not even the most talented, will make the claims you make. You display a patent dishonesty that makes me feel even worse for the people out there who know nothing about cars. They listen to you, they pay MORE in the long run. I'm glad you seem to be able to make rudimentary repairs. But you would absolutely DIE in a flat-rate shop. You would make me take away the nice house and the cars, etc. and send you back packin' to Omaha. I don't know what kind of cheddar you pull down, but if you were that competent I would beat it handsomely. So, what about that? That sounds like a real wager. Let me know, I'll draw up the contract if you show me you're serious.

Otherwise shut up.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
You do all your own work? I'll make a wager with you. I'll hire you right now, today. I'll pay your airfare here and set you up with a 5,600 square foot house, at my expense. I'll take care of you AND your family's per diem. I'll give you two late model BMW's to drive. And I expect that I will not have to tell you anything. You will be Jesus Christ to me. And do you know why I seriously offer this? Because the guy you claim to be is very hard to find, even among trained technicians. What is your training? Self-taught? The reason I don't believe you do your own work is because I know how difficult this work can be and you don't seem to have any appreciation of that. That is why all, and I mean ALL the professional technicians on this site (sorry guys) laugh at you and what you say. None of us, not even the most talented, will make the claims you make. You display a patent dishonesty that makes me feel even worse for the people out there who know nothing about cars. They listen to you, they pay MORE in the long run. I'm glad you seem to be able to make rudimentary repairs. But you would absolutely DIE in a flat-rate shop. You would make me take away the nice house and the cars, etc. and send you back packin' to Omaha. I don't know what kind of cheddar you pull down, but if you were that competent I would beat it handsomely. So, what about that? That sounds like a real wager. Let me know, I'll draw up the contract if you show me you're serious.

Otherwise shut up.
Hahahahaha!!!!! Nice one! I bet it took you at least an hour to write that! You're just a run-of-the-mill blow hard. Methinks thou dost protest too much!

Hey - here's another one for you and your trained chimps... Just last winter I replaced the clutch in my 97 VW Golf (I'm SURE you could tell me what drivetrain it has). It cost me $89 for the clutch plate. Everything else was fine, though the hex-screws on the drive axles are a poorly designed pain in the butt... Since then, I've put approximately 9,000 trouble-free miles on the car. Apparently I did the job correctly, right Wise One?

A month later, a friend of one of my sons - who lives in Minneapolis - had to have the clutch in his 96 Golf replaced. Virtually identical same car. The shop charged him over $2,000. WHY THE PRICE DIFFERENCE? And are you going to try to tell me, with a straight face, that they DIDN'T screw the kid over?

I have no problem with people making a decent living. Everybody should be able to do that. I DO have a problem with unethical blue-collar HACKS ripping people off. And whether you like it or not, THAT is the reputation of car mechanics.

So... Why, pray tell, would I want to even so much as run the risk of getting the kind of reputation you have?

And by the way, don't bother telling me to shut up. It just shows your immaturity.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Hahahahaha!!!!! Nice one! I bet it took you at least an hour to write that! You're just a run-of-the-mill blow hard. Methinks thou dost protest too much!

Hey - here's another one for you and your trained chimps... Just last winter I replaced the clutch in my 97 VW Golf (I'm SURE you could tell me what drivetrain it has). It cost me $89 for the clutch plate. Everything else was fine, though the hex-screws on the drive axles are a poorly designed pain in the butt... Since then, I've put approximately 9,000 trouble-free miles on the car. Apparently I did the job correctly, right Wise One?

A month later, a friend of one of my sons - who lives in Minneapolis - had to have the clutch in his 96 Golf replaced. Virtually identical same car. The shop charged him over $2,000. WHY THE PRICE DIFFERENCE? And are you going to try to tell me, with a straight face, that they DIDN'T screw the kid over?

I have no problem with people making a decent living. Everybody should be able to do that. I DO have a problem with unethical blue-collar HACKS ripping people off. And whether you like it or not, THAT is the reputation of car mechanics.

So... Why, pray tell, would I want to even so much as run the risk of getting the kind of reputation you have?

And by the way, don't bother telling me to shut up. It just shows your immaturity.

Your friend got ripped off. I'm not here to defend all technicians. Why do you condemn them all?

My offer will leave you with independence in the shop so you can deal with the customers any way you choose, as long as it's ethical. Since we're established and have a good reputation, you'd be able to make tons of money right away.

You could single-handedly turn that industry-wide reputation on its ears.

By the way, I've known A LOT of guys in this business who tried for years to do right, to treat their customers like their own family members, to make repairs less expensive. And there are many appreciative people out there. But people along your stripe throw out this vitriol and accusation against everyone in the field. And these particular guys do mostly thankless work for YEARS with people disparaging them, unable to remove the blinders and see that these guys were trying to help them. Guess what? There is a huge class of guys out there now repairing cars that figure they might as well live up to the rep.

Does this make it okay? No, not by a long shot. But if you think that blanket accusations are going to make the industry work better for normal people, you are wrong. Find the dishonest ones, point them out, name their names. Guys like me will always do right; but there are many who will succumb to their anger and resentment and begin ripping people off. And what a vicious cycle, because now these disillusioned technicians begin to lump all the customers ironically into one angry face, even though most people are not like that. All your anger against this industry is deserved. But you've definitely got to start letting people's actions speak for themselves, or you will be frustrated for the rest of your life.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Your friend got ripped off. I'm not here to defend all technicians. Why do you condemn them all?

My offer will leave you with independence in the shop so you can deal with the customers any way you choose, as long as it's ethical. Since we're established and have a good reputation, you'd be able to make tons of money right away.

You could single-handedly turn that industry-wide reputation on its ears.

By the way, I've known A LOT of guys in this business who tried for years to do right, to treat their customers like their own family members, to make repairs less expensive. And there are many appreciative people out there. But people along your stripe throw out this vitriol and accusation against everyone in the field. And these particular guys do mostly thankless work for YEARS with people disparaging them, unable to remove the blinders and see that these guys were trying to help them. Guess what? There is a huge class of guys out there now repairing cars that figure they might as well live up to the rep.

Does this make it okay? No, not by a long shot. But if you think that blanket accusations are going to make the industry work better for normal people, you are wrong. Find the dishonest ones, point them out, name their names. Guys like me will always do right; but there are many who will succumb to their anger and resentment and begin ripping people off. And what a vicious cycle, because now these disillusioned technicians begin to lump all the customers ironically into one angry face, even though most people are not like that. All your anger against this industry is deserved. But you've definitely got to start letting people's actions speak for themselves, or you will be frustrated for the rest of your life.
So they you ARE condemning the hacks that wanted to charge $1200 to replace a couple axles and front wheel bearings on a Sonata?

You ARE condemning the hacks that charged my son's friend over $2000 to replace the clutch in his VW Golf?

You ARE admitting that there are "trained professionals" who are screwing people over every day?

Hmmmmm... Sounds like you're agreeing with me.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
So they you ARE condemning the hacks that wanted to charge $1200 to replace a couple axles and front wheel bearings on a Sonata?

You ARE condemning the hacks that charged my son's friend over $2000 to replace the clutch in his VW Golf?

You ARE admitting that there are "trained professionals" who are screwing people over every day?

Hmmmmm... Sounds like you're agreeing with me.
You can't seem to understand anything other than adversarial or compliant. I agree with you on some things and disagree on others. There ARE a lot of hacks in this business; but not the majority! You're like one of those chicks who wonders why all the guys in the world that she meets beat on her. Well, all guys in the world do not beat on women. So I have to ask:

What is it that attracts con-men to you and your peeps? Maybe they can smell something other people don't...

Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
You can't seem to understand anything other than adversarial or compliant. I agree with you on some things and disagree on others. There ARE a lot of hacks in this business; but not the majority! You're like one of those chicks who wonders why all the guys in the world that she meets beat on her. Well, all guys in the world do not beat on women. So I have to ask:

What is it that attracts con-men to you and your peeps? Maybe they can smell something other people don't...
Nice try, but you fail. Again. I don't attract con-men. I simply expose them. Unfortunately for those of you in your profession, a LOT of con-men "just happen" to be auto mechanics. I have to wonder why that is?

I saved my niece $900, because I installed the axles and wheel bearings on her Sonata. And (gasp!) it's driving perfectly fine, even though I am - according to you and your ilk - some shade-tree hack. How can that POSSIBLY be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive