Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:57 PM

324 posts, read 573,378 times

Advertisements

I don't know about my worst vehicle, but this is by far my best one:

http://sam.carana.googlepages.com/trabant10.jpg/trabant10-full.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by paulpan; 11-29-2009 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 PM

174 posts, read 596,633 times
The worst car that I owned was a 1979 Ford Mustang Ghia. I had to have the carburator rebuilt twice due to problems with that. Then the transmission died at 45000 miles. The front left side brake caliper got stuck while driving in the rain. That was a very interesting experience. The floor on it stated to rust away. It got so bad that every time I sat in the drivers chair, it would tilt back about 2 inches because the screws that held the chair in place no longer had a floor to mount them to due to the rust. I actually had to put rags in the holes to prevent the water from coming in when it would rain. The edge of the trunk started to also rust away. I later found out that this was a common problem with Mustangs from 1979. Finally, the distributor cap was poorly designed that when it would rain or if there was a lot of moisture outside, the cars accelertion was very poor. I later found out that this was also a common defect with a lot of Fords from the late 70s to early 80s. Total POs that cost me a fortune. I sold it to a friend of a friend for $250.00 and three months later the engine died on it. The car only had 79,000 miles on it.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:35 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
I've owned 4 cars in my 31 years on Earth. The first 2 were , respectively , a 1977 Aspen that a friend sold me for an astounding $90USD. Someone had attempted to tune the car and crossed the wires. The battery was missing. It sat for 3 months in my mother's yard until I had it taken to a shop. Cost of repairs was $280USD. Being young at the time and making $5.50 hourly , getting it out was a no go. Next one was a 1984 Delta 88 that I was duped into buying for $200USD. Drove to the same spot in my mother's yard where once it was shut off , never started again. Wanted to fix it up , but was laid off and while spending 2 weeks at a relative's house , she sold the car for $50USD , which neither of us ever saw. 3 was a 1979 Bonneville. This car was the one - or so I thought. It actually started and ran after being in that spot. I got tags , insurance , et al. sans a license , but couldn't be stopped. I drove that car everywhere , had wheel bearings fail on the right side and with a lack of knowledge , ended up paying $60USD to have them replaced by some drunk. The longest consecutive time I drove the car was 1 month out of 2 years of ownership.
In an attempt to pull into the backyard , it slid backwards while in Drive downhill into a tree. It was stuck to the tree for some time before I tried to move it and hark , it didn't go into gear. Not knowing what , much less where a transmission was , I called a relative who told me. It was bone dry. Wasting money on fluid , it still didn't budge which led to it being rebuilt. When I initially got the car , I happened to spot a similar car sitting beneath a tarp in this guy's yard. Inquiring about it , I was told the engine and transmission were shot and they wanted $450 for it. So I kept driving the car. The wipers , horn , radio , seats , heat/AC , trunk release , and sunroof didn't work. I managed to get the roof working , but the wires beneath the hood were a mess. Whoever had it prior to my friend only wanted a system , so they cut , disconnected alot of wires. The car would only start and lights worked. I taught myself to drive in that car. I had a boombox in the front saet with a cassette adaptor hooked to a CD player I'd keep in my lap. Bookshelf speakers in the back seat. I , too could see the road from inside. I wanted to fix it up!! One day , I was enroute to work , on a 100 foot high beltway overpass when the balljoint broke!! I thought 2 things. 1. I was giong to definitely perish that day , and 2. when I didn't die and got out , it was just a flat tire. 5 hours later when the wrecker appeared , the balljoint was confirmed as the culprit. So , here we go again , to the shop. 2 weeks and $200USD later , the carburetor failed. Reluctantly , I beridded myself of that car which brings me to present with the best car I've ever had. It is a 1978 Bonneville , the aforementioned car with the 'dead' engine. I took a risk buying it because the ignition lock was stuck. I called the mechanic daily to ask about it and he gave me wonderful news - it ran - not just ran , but ran like it was new. Had to have the tranmission replaced , which given the year , was $387USD. Now , nearly 4 years , hundreds of trips out of state , it still is a daily driver that serves me well!! This one , I will fix up. Everything works , even the locks and seats. Interior looks 90% new - save for a hole in the driver's carpet and headliner issues. Luckily , I purchased a Haynes manual , tools , and read the book from front to back to be prepared for any issues that arise. When I first bought it , it was in showroom condition for $300. Since then , I was fishing in a national forest when 2 crazy deer decided to fight it out beside the car. They banged the right side up , left fender when the smaller of the two tried to cut and the larger outpaced him and rammed him into the car. So far , I've replaced the fender , but still need a rear door for the passenger side. Other than that , everything is fine!! To answer the original query , the 1979 Bonneville was the worst. Yelling out of a leaky roof in the rain with no wipers was not fun - even by a stretch.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Mercury Sable 1990 I think. What a gorgeous car that was. Burgundy velour seats with heating, adjustable lumbar, smooth smooth ride. It had a very powerful engine and driving it was literally like gliding down the highway.
And what a drain on my pocket book. I must have poured over 5K (alternator, towing, brakes, air conditioning which began to billow smoke, multiple things in its guts that I don't even want to think about ) into the car before it developed a crack in the engine block and I finally ditched it. It made being poor college students ar

Old 12-03-2009, 01:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
A Ford Tempo. I don't remember what year it was. I want to say '95, but I'm not sure. We bought it in '99.

That thing SUCKED. After 20 months and $3k over the purchase price in repairs, we finally donated it to a charity and lived with one car for the next 4 years.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:59 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
2000 Daewoo Lanos. Just mentioning the word Daewoo is enough to make me get annoyed all over again, the car was trying to kill me, not to mention finding parts was awful.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:24 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
2000 Daewoo Lanos. Just mentioning the word Daewoo is enough to make me get annoyed all over again, the car was trying to kill me, not to mention finding parts was awful.
Daewoo!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:53 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Daewoo!!!

Ugh!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Recent model Jaguar. It's not that the car was really the problem - I LOVED that car. But the service was horrendous. I rarely had problems with it but . . . it always took the dealer 3 or more tries to fix anything. And the second I finally sold my previous car, they stopped providing loaner cars. So I ended up losing at least a day from work everytime I took the car in.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:10 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Ugh!
Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive