Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:39 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Still, I'm appalled by the way you people screw over customers - and do so with such smug arrogance. How else do you explain a "reputable" shop wanting to charge my niece over $1200 to put new front axles and wheel bearings on her 2000 Sonata? Especially when the parts cost less than $300, and it only took me 2 hours to do the whole job? THAT is a run-of-the-mill screw-job provided by your typical "professional."

Maybe it's because they have to pay mechanics a decent wage, and provide benefits, pay for lights, heat, advertising. Send mechanics to training to keep them up to date on new models and technology. Pay thousands of dollars for equip that is not used every day. They have to work on what comes in the door not just their own vehicle. Let's not forget the mechanics who need thousands of dollars worth of tools. Then I believe the real problem is that they stop to eat breakfast at a restaurant that charges them $5.00 for two eggs and toast that I can make for about $.50. I can buy a pound of coffee for $4.50 and they charge $1.50 a cup. Boy you just can't find an honest restaurant

As a mechanic who made an honest living for 50 yrs I am offended by your accusations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Maybe it's because they have to pay mechanics a decent wage, and provide benefits, pay for lights, heat, advertising. Send mechanics to training to keep them up to date on new models and technology. Pay thousands of dollars for equip that is not used every day. They have to work on what comes in the door not just their own vehicle. Let's not forget the mechanics who need thousands of dollars worth of tools. Then I believe the real problem is that they stop to eat breakfast at a restaurant that charges them $5.00 for two eggs and toast that I can make for about $.50. I can buy a pound of coffee for $4.50 and they charge $1.50 a cup. Boy you just can't find an honest restaurant

As a mechanic who made an honest living for 50 yrs I am offended by your accusations.
I'd rather pay $5.00 for 2 eggs than $500 for 2 brake pads. It happens--it happens everyday.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:

The shop wanted $1200 to replace two front axles and two front wheel bearings.

It took me 2 hours, and the total for the parts was less than $300.

We both know that a shop can buy the parts for less money than I can. That means they were essentially going to charge over $450 per hour for that job.

Are you going to try to tell me that $450 per hour is NOT a little steep - or that it's not just outright fraudulent?

I have no reason to think you're not an honest mechanic. But you have to admit that your "field" is filled to overflowing with mechanics that are screwing people over on a daily basis. And these are the same thieves that have the audacity to say stupid things like, "Stick to your back yard."

Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,598 times
Got the truck back today. Mechanic pulled the wheel, didn't find anything wrong with brake or axle seal, checked both fluids, cleaned it off. Charged me $39 for checking it.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
Got the truck back today. Mechanic pulled the wheel, didn't find anything wrong with brake or axle seal, checked both fluids, cleaned it off. Charged me $39 for checking it.
Good to hear it wasn't anything serious. How do you feel about the $39 charge for inspection and cleaning? Sounds fair to me. Guess it's true, not all techs are thieves as some believe.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:33 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Well Captain Arrogant, you obviously cannot read - which is typical of a blue-collar flunky.

And sorry to burst your little bubble of infallible self-importance, but I've done all my own mechanical work for 30 years. The bottom line is that I don't need you and your ilk.

Still, I'm appalled by the way you people screw over customers - and do so with such smug arrogance. How else do you explain a "reputable" shop wanting to charge my niece over $1200 to put new front axles and wheel bearings on her 2000 Sonata? Especially when the parts cost less than $300, and it only took me 2 hours to do the whole job? THAT is a run-of-the-mill screw-job provided by your typical "professional."

So you trained professionals, and your high school drop-outs with code scanners in their hands, can enjoy taking advantage of whoever you can. Unfortunately for you, I'm not one of those people.

That said, Toodle Doo, O Great One. I'm done with you.

You're funny. And entertaining too. Keep 'em coming funny man.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:15 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You're funny. And entertaining too. Keep 'em coming funny man.
Why don't you explain to us why $1200 to replace 2 axles and 2 wheel bearings is a reasonable price, as opposed to just a flagrant screw job?

Why don't you explain to us why $2000+ to replace the clutch in a 96 VW Golf is a reasonable price, as opposed to just a flagrant screw job?

Maybe you should knock the chip off your shoulder and simply open your eyes. Then you might start to understand why you and your ilk are seen in such a negative light...

Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Good show...$39.00 to check the rear wheel R&R for a 1/2 hr shop rate is reasonable by an HONEST mechanic/shop. Kudos to him.

A vehicle with so many yrs old and low miles can some times have a dried out seal from lack of usage and lubrication. Same could be said of fuel or vac hoses...they do dry out and leak.

As a mechanic of 28 yrs...son of a mechanic of 40 yrs...have seen a lot of things.

As to parts...recall yrs back on my caddy that needed brake shoes. Turned out they were the same as the shoes for a Buick but with a different part number and of course a higher price for the cad. They will screw a person over that does not know the difference.

Many of the cars produced over the yrs have interchangeable parts that will fit different models as a cost saving factor on the assembly line.

People have to learn that not driveing a vehicle will do more harm as things will have a tendency to dry out and die from lack of use.

Like the saying..."use it or lose it"

Steve

Old 04-22-2009, 06:20 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,598 times
I didn't know seals could dry out. I only drive this truck about once a month all winter and it's not garaged, that's why the mileage is low, so I'm always anticipating some minor Spring repairs, maybe battery, exhaust, wipers, etc.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:09 AM

58 posts, read 340,556 times
Quote:

Amen brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive