Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

GM Boss: "We're Developing a Plan Around Four Core Brands"
the core brands they're looking at is Chevy, Caddy, GMC, and Pontiac. It's their call but it's a poor choice. GMC and Chevy trucks are redundant. One or the other has to go. Other than the G8, what does Pontiac has to offer that isn't a clone of something else sold in America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 08:00 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
GM Boss: "We're Developing a Plan Around Four Core Brands"
the core brands they're looking at is Chevy, Caddy, GMC, and Pontiac. It's their call but it's a poor choice. GMC and Chevy trucks are redundant. One or the other has to go. Other than the G8, what does Pontiac has to offer that isn't a clone of something else sold in America?
Your assertions are well founded, however to paraphrase Fritz in the article...."we're taking apart our startegies, and rebuilding them".

Kinda hard to criticise what they havent announced yet. One can only speculate. Maybe GMC will concentrate on the heavy truck side while Chevy retains the light truck marketing. The marketing difference between Caddy and Chevy is fairly obvious. Pontiac, yeah, kinda a mystery to me also.....

Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
I'd add Chevy could take in one of the convertables being sold by Saturn/Pontiac and re-badge as a Chevy. I see quite a few of them here in the south so that may be a nice 'affordable' niche car to keep around.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Pontiac would also have the Solstice, but they could easily rebadge both it and the G8 to consolidate them into Chevy.

Mike

Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
I like their decision, but only if they ditch Chevy trucks, its pointless to keep them around with GMC on the roster.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:26 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I like their decision, but only if they ditch Chevy trucks, its pointless to keep them around with GMC on the roster.
Not necessarily, people still like variety. Chev AND GMC combined have traditionally out sold Ford. Unlikely GM wants to give up one of the few things they got going for them as far as marketing numbers is concerned.

With the most recent incarnation of their light trucks, there is actually a difference in the truck lines between the two. And although that difference is only skin deep, it's a start toward, perhaps, some other plans they havent disclosed as of yet......?

They need to get back to a place where the general public understands there is an actual difference between a GMC and a Chevy truck. Something that hasnt been the case since the early 1970's. Then they could justify keeping both, on a basis other than the superficial one I noted above....the up and coming, frugal minded consumer isnt likely to spend premium $$$ simply because of a nameplate on the fender. GM is gonna have to show them the difference. Like they did in the 30's thru 60's. Time to get back to basics.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
I thought GM was looking at keeping Buick instead of Pontiac? Isn't Pontiac just going to be a niche brand?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I'd go the other way around, I probably see 10 Chevrolet pickups for every 1 GMC.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I'd go the other way around, I probably see 10 Chevrolet pickups for every 1 GMC.
Thats because theyre simply available. Take away Chevy trucks and theyd flock to GMC dealerships, theyre basically the exact same trucks to begin with.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:45 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I thought GM was looking at keeping Buick instead of Pontiac? Isn't Pontiac just going to be a niche brand?
That in itself isn't a bad idea. If they ditch the badge and rename it something that doesn't immediately spell poor quality in the minds of consumers, it might make sense. I think the Solstice is a great car and was kicking myself when it came out a year aafter I bought my Z4 I love my car but I wouldn't mind saving some $ for essentially the same market.

Throw in a high performance sports car and viola, you got yourself a sports car-ish niche. Caddy will retain the luxury / performance luxury image and GMC will keep the trucks. Chevy will likely be the commuter car brand (plus as another has pointed out the small truck side).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive