Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Is Your Favorite Place To Shop For Parts
Autozone 3 14.29%
Pep Boys 3 14.29%
Napa 4 19.05%
CSK/Murray's 2 9.52%
Advance 5 23.81%
Dealership OEM 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times

Advertisements

Which store would you rather get your parts from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Napa (American Parts) or the junk yard

Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
In the old days, the "mom and Pop parts stores" had knowledgeable countermen who knew cars and knew parts and could help the customer.
Today's fancy volume stores have people who look up parts on the computer, and most have very little knowledge of vehicles or parts..
NAPA is probably the closest thing to a real parts store from the ones listed...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:13 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Internet... Rock Auto.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:42 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
In the old days, the "mom and Pop parts stores" had knowledgeable countermen who knew cars and knew parts and could help the customer.
Today's fancy volume stores have people who look up parts on the computer, and most have very little knowledge of vehicles or parts..
NAPA is probably the closest thing to a real parts store from the ones listed...
I have an Advance and AZ right across the street from each other...Although I utilize both regularly, I go to the Advance when I have questions that need answers, as there is one (and only ONE) capable person there who knows what they are talking about. That person will actually refer me to someplace else, if they have a better part or price, and will make certain I go there armed with the knowledge(part number, brand, etc.)to be certain I'm getting the right thing....That's an almost totally unheard of thing these days, and I always make certain this person gets a little spiff at Christmas time from me.

Like Donn says, most of the people at these stores just know how to retrieve data from a computer screen. Nothing agravates me more than going in to get a common part like a halogen bulb for the headlights, and I end up playing a game of twenty questions like what engine code? is it 4X4?, auto or manual tranny? and a plethora of other questions completly unrelated to the part you need........They should pay me for my wasted time in dealing with this BS.

Bottom line, I'd agree ...The people make the place, the rest is pretty much generic these days..........

Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
The thing with the 20 questions is rellevent to the buyes needs.

A counter person is NOT a mechanic and does not know when a mid yr change was made on a car assembly line...what parts were used on different models of the same brand overlapping what yrs.

Some gizmos are modified and installed in the latter part of a yrs production assembly model...thus the term "limited production item".

Ask any well knowledged mechanic and get the true answer from their experience.

Steve (retired mechanic)

Old 04-29-2009, 11:39 AM

761 posts, read 3,415,907 times
Oreilly's (CSK/Murrays), then Napa, then the local Auto Value.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:02 PM

24,470 posts, read 26,003,936 times
I picked Pep Boys because my daughter is the parts manager and I get a nice discount + she knows her stuff.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:59 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I prefer NAPA from the ones listed, but usually go to one of the few semi-independent parts stores we still have around here. The local NAPA guys are pretty knowledgable, they have most wear parts for German and Japanese as well as domestic cars. NAPA parts are generally of good quality, not necessarily the best, but at least good. And frequently they offer an "uprated" part like in the brake pads, where they offer 3 different pads "good, better, best" in many applications.

The local AutoZone actually has one older guy who actually knows his stuff, he drives a Corvair, so I know if the Corvair is in the parking lot the "doctor is in".

I get a lot of parts from mail order, for older rigs. Many Toyota and Subaru parts are not the same in aftermarket as a genuine OEM part from the dealer, particularly this is true about Subaru.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:16 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
The thing with the 20 questions is rellevent to the buyes needs.

A counter person is NOT a mechanic and does not know when a mid yr change was made on a car assembly line...what parts were used on different models of the same brand overlapping what yrs.

Some gizmos are modified and installed in the latter part of a yrs production assembly model...thus the term "limited production item".

Ask any well knowledged mechanic and get the true answer from their experience.

Steve (retired mechanic)
But we do get the VIN when necessary to establish RPO codes and production dates. Our mantra/creed has always been Make, Model and Year, not "they're all the same".

I'm one of the old guys behind the counter (now at a dealer, but spent 13 years at an aftermarket "mom and pop"). What's been said is true - except for the recent layoffs which have forced a few into the field, the chains try to employ kids who'll work for lower wages, and have only the knowledge of how to answer the computer's "questions". We learned in the catalogs before the computers came along, so we're not paralyzed if the power goes out.

Brian (certified GM parts)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive