Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
here's what i have:

1996 Camaro Z28 - modded; 90% complete
1989 Firebird Formula 350 - black; not running; need big $$$ for mods; keeping it a 5.7 L TPI
1968 Mustang Coupe - 289; needs some body work; need big $$$ for resto and mods
1967 Pontiac Firebird - modded suspension/transmission; has 400 engine; need big $$$ for resto and mods
fixin' to by a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Hatchback from my neighbor lady. she only wants like 1600 bucks! car is bone stock with no mechanical issues. need to inoculate the wife to the idea of another project. other than heads and cam, an easy bolt-on-and-go project.

of those, i wouldnt trade either of the Firebirds, and i'd be pretty happy with the '68 Mustang when finished. not looking to get rid of the Camaro either, though i could see possibly letting it go for a 68 or 69 Dodge Charger; and the 5.0, if i get it, i would happily replace with an '08 or '09 Mustang GT or GT500, or a C2 or C3 Corvette (nothing after '77).
god i wish my G/F was as understanding about my hobby as your wife is.. I had a chance to buy a 95 LT1 powerd camaro but she put an end to that saying you already have a "fun" car to play with..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 10:39 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,260,808 times
oh, yeah. i'd also swap out the 5.0 for an '03 or '04 Terminator Cobra.

power to weight and low initial investment is the whole reason that i will likely acquire the LX. plus it would be kinda cool to have a white '89 5.0 LX and a black '89 Formula 350 sitting next to each other...sworn enemies and all.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:09 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
1972 BMW 2002tii, add a turbo and suspension/brake upgrades

1982 Peugeot 504D Station Wagon, add a turbo or install a 505turboDiesel motor for one of the most comfortable road cruisers ever built and 40 mpg fuel economy

Morgan Plus 4 ... increased displacement cylinder kit and turbo, or get a Plus 8

AlfaRomeo 2.0 spider ... turbo, brakes, and suspension

and I'll second the Datsun 510 mod'ed out. These could give BMW's fits when properly done ....
Those are some awesome choices, I dig your style!!

Here's mine, although 2 hours from now I'd probably have a totally different five:

1: 1976-1981 Honda Accord LX Hatchback

Honda Gunmetal Gray, light tints, 82-83 LX black cloth interior, Mini Lite alloys, B16A3 100% stock, a very quiet ANSA exhaust, LSD tranny with conservative gears and a sunroof. I've wanted this exact car since I was 18 years old......classic comfy daily driver that can get 35MPG on the highway all day, rev to 8200rpms and run mid-14s in the quarter mile. These cars weigh less than 2000lbs with their heavy iron block CVCC motors and even with 70HP they're a blast to drive.

Unfortunately, rust has all but wiped them out in the Northeast USA

2: 1986-1992 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Not sure what color, but the one below sure looks good de-woodgrained and blacked out. WVO/Biodiesel conversion on a Cummins B6.7 Turbo I6 that would put power down through the Chrysler 68RFE 6-speed auto and D44/60 axles, though dual 60s might be wise with 610ft/lb of torque. Not sure what type of transfer case could be used, ideally it'd be one similar in operation to the NP242 box with dual range part-time operation or full-time operation selectable...and with a super-low LO-range (I'd opt for higher axle ratios in the name of fuel economy). Still, since we're running this imaginary vehicle on veggie oil, there would be a good 8-10 inches of lift and 36 inches of rubber (AT LEAST!!) underneath.

3: Mercedes-Benz W108/109 Cabriolet

I've always loved these big German cars and actually owned one for a short period of time.....wish I'd held onto it because the prices have skyrocketed in the last 5-10 years. The drop-top is the priciest of all, and earlier W111 'verts fetch even more coin. I could honestly go either way, I like the rear styling of the earlier models a little better and prefer the interior design/grille of the newer ones. The only changes I'd make (ha) would be invisible to the naked eye, but pretty costly......nothing less than M-B's 6.9l Big Block V8 powerplant; slightly warmed and de-EPA-ified to bring it closer to the 300HP easily capable out of European versions. I don't think an M100 ever came from the factory with a manual transmission, but the 3.5/4.5 V8s in the mid-late 70s SLC coupes did....so let's pretend that the 4-speed will easily swap in, and stick a W116 450SEL ZF limited slip underneath the rear end.

One hell of a cruiser. I'll take mine in cream, silver or black please

4: Jaguar XJ6 Series III

This is another Euro-Boat I've always had a thing for, and I've wanted to own one with an American V8 ever since I read an article on Jags That Run conversion kits many years ago. This one can stay simple too....leave it all alone except for an LS1 and T56 under the hood, and paint it black (or emerald green) of course!! Total sleeper and a great road trip car.

5: 1976-1980 Plymouth Volare/Dodge Aspen Station Wagon

SHAGGIN' WAGON. I've been really into Chrysler A-bodies lately and couldn't choose between the Dart, Duster, Barracuda, etc. so I decided on the most ridiculous and least sought after model possible. Unlike the other four cars, this one would make less concessions for driveability and have an extensively modified EFI Slant6 Turbo. There was a writeup in Grassroots Motorsports on this type of powerplant a few years ago and I've been seeing more and more of them on YouTube, which is sweet. Aesthetically, it would be more in line with the quintessential "Retro Mod" look that is popular right now. Maybe some Aspen R/T wheel flares on there even? Perhaps if I want to get really silly I could dream up a modified AMC Eagle front axle/suspension setup and make this bad boy an all-wheel-drive monster...

Old 05-17-2009, 08:15 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
^^^ <scratching head>

Old 05-17-2009, 09:45 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
"Fully modded"...
That's easy: 1932 Ford Roadster, chopped, channelled, and sectioned, with a 1953 Mercury Flathead engine, stroked and bored, Edelbrock finned aluminum high-compression heads, and 3-deuce intake manifold, with Stromberg 97 carbs. 1939 Ford top-load gearbox, with Lincoln Zephyr gears, and a Columbia 2-speed rear end.
THAT has been my "dream car" since the mid 1950s. I couldn't afford to build one back then, and I can't afford to buy (or build) one now. Just one of the many "gee, I wish" items that will never happen!
Sorta like the Triumph TR-3 or the Austin Healy 3000, or the Mercedes 450 SL!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:28 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
^^^ <scratching head>
Would you have preferred:

1: CAMAERO
2: MUSTANGG 5.0
3: SHAVELL 454 SS
4: FERRARI
5: LAMBORGUINNEAH

??

Booorrring...

Old 05-17-2009, 12:12 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
But then, there is the "Jerrari" at Harrah's Reno Auto Museum.
A Jeep Grand Wagoneer with a Ferrari V-12 engine in it. They say Harrah wanted to be able to go from Reno to Tahoe as fast as possible in any weather.

There is a lot of nice iron in that building. A Tucker. some "Big Daddy" Roth creations. a DeLorean.
Many vehicles to make a car nut salivate!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:32 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
^^^ <scratching head>
He sure does have "interesting" taste!
For one, I would think that instead of a '76-'80 Plymouth Volare/Dodge Aspen wagon he would pick something like a '69 383 Road Runner or '68 Charger R/T 440-Magnum.

Another point: A stock '76-'81 Honda Accord with 70 horsepower couldn't run a 14-second 1/4 mile even if it was pushed off a clilff! It's more likely an 18-second car.

Also interesting someone who thinks a Camaro and 454 Chevelle are "boring," but thinks 70 hp Hondas and Volares are not!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
But then, there is the "Jerrari" at Harrah's Reno Auto Museum.
A Jeep Grand Wagoneer with a Ferrari V-12 engine in it. They say Harrah wanted to be able to go from Reno to Tahoe as fast as possible in any weather.

There is a lot of nice iron in that building. A Tucker. some "Big Daddy" Roth creations. a DeLorean.
Many vehicles to make a car nut salivate!
haha ok i had to google the jerrari just to see what it looked like

it reminds me of the rambo lambo LM002

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-17-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,260,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Would you have preferred:

1: CAMAERO
2: MUSTANGG 5.0
3: SHAVELL 454 SS
4: FERRARI
5: LAMBORGUINNEAH

??

Booorrring...
okay, ya know what - let me stop you right there. YES, a list of commonly sought after cars may make a boring list on paper, but an exciting collection to actually have. your list consists at least partly of cars that are beyond mundane! the thread calls for the top 5 cars you would want for your ultimate fantasy - and you've put Aspen Volare for Christ sake! i mean, is this your ultimate dream garage or a friggin' orphanage?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive