Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times

Advertisements

I don't know a lot about cars, what do you think of these two? I'm looking at the ones with auto trans.
I can use any advice you can give me..Thanks

http://www.northfreewayhyundai.com/V...&model=Elantra

Hyundai new car dealer in Houston TX. Hyundai Sonata new cars for sale online at North Freeway Hyundai, a Houston new Hyundai and car dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
My advice is to learn as much as you can about cars, you can find all sorts of good books to start with, I particularly like Sir Jackie Stewart's books on owner-driver topics. Probably available at your local library.

Secondly, see if you can't get a local driving school to teach you to drive a stickshift.

Hyundai have come a long way in quality from the late 1980s - but I'm still not *that* impressed with them.

It is precisely because you don't know cars that you are impressed with Hyundai's low price for a new car.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 AM

I drive a 5 speed man., so does my wife but she is tired of shifting all of the time and this car will be for her.

And it is the price we are looking at.

I was more wondering if they are good cars.

We are also looking at Toyotas in the same price range. Around $20,000 list.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Offhand I would take the used Toy over the new Hyundai, both a better car and to avoid the severe depreciation hit you get when you drive that new car off the lot.

Read up about them in Consumer Reports.

I prefer to buy a used car from an individual rather than a dealer - minimizes BS. That and I get a good look at the cat who has (or has not) been taking care of the car till now.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM

"minimizes BS" LOL

Yeah, I'm already running into the BS with the dealers....LOL..

I've just never had good luck buying used cars...I seem to always get someones troubles...

Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
You can alos look at site like edmonds.com. I have consumers reports buy most of their info is based on short term test and what ohter consumer think. There are lots of sites that do this but you have to be careful as many co clled consumer satisfactions is flase reproted now day IMO. Edmonds will allow you to pick your options and get a look at the invoice dealer pays as well as what most are paying in your area.These days it taqkes much more knowledge to actually buy a good used car. You in my opinoion might alos want to compare cars like the honda civic and the toyota carolla.Good luck as no one can pick a car for you really based on your budget and needs.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,943 times
I would probably take the Toyota over the Hyundai, too, but another car to check into in my opinion are the Mazdas or Nissans. I have had both, and they have been the most dependable cars I have owned (even over Honda)! I have a Nissan Maxima now, and it is great, but for my next car I might consider a Mazda, because I love the way they look. We had a Mazda in the past that was dependable for us for almost 250,000 miles!

Good luck - I know car buying can be stressful!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
If you are buying a used car, have it inspected by a good mechanic. Dealers are very good at polishing up old cars. I prefer to buy from an individual to save money.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can alos look at site like edmonds.com. I have consumers reports buy most of their info is based on short term test and what ohter consumer think. There are lots of sites that do this but you have to be careful as many co clled consumer satisfactions is flase reproted now day IMO. Edmonds will allow you to pick your options and get a look at the invoice dealer pays as well as what most are paying in your area.These days it taqkes much more knowledge to actually buy a good used car. You in my opinoion might alos want to compare cars like the honda civic and the toyota carolla.Good luck as no one can pick a car for you really based on your budget and needs.
I just checked both of them on edmonds.com and they both seem to come out pretty good.

I just don't buy that many cars and that's why I need any help on those two I can get it...

I drive them until the wheels fall off..

Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
My advice is to go out and test drive a bunch of different vehicles and when you have decided then do the buying online at the dealers website that you you don't have to sit at the dealer for 6 hours and if you don't like the price, no worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive