Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times

Advertisements

Just for grins take it to another shop to have them look your car over if you're really worried. It's kind of early in the mileage to be having this sort of issue though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 05:46 PM

272 posts, read 215,726 times
I ran a quick lube for over 15 years and did alot of pan gaskets and flsuhes (hundreds). I doubt they are trying to pull the wool over you eyes, hell all you would have to do is pull the stick look and smell it and you'd know if its burnt or not. Whether you get the service is your call. Ive seen cars run with burnt tranny fluid for 100,000 miles. And you never really know the cause if it comes up burnt again. Maybe a porevious owner beat the snot out of it trying to get it out of a ditch, maybe the trannies a lemon, who knows.

If I were you and the car was still under warranty I'd try to get back to the dealer who sold you the car (I also wrote service at a dealership for several years) and let him do the service and keep the reciept. I would also see if I couldnt get some kind of commitment or warranty on the service, tranny or whatever you get them to take respoinsability for.

There are some bad mechanics out there but I think the reputation that they are always trying to take ya for a ride is over exaggerated. Like any business they need repeat customers and raking people over the coals will dwindle a clientle.

I'd say 50,000 miles is good recommendation on a tranny service. If its burnt at 37000 I'd do both the pan gasget and flush.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Oh goodness... a bad transmission at 37k... Toyota must suck, I will NEVER buy one.
You are of course jumping the gun, aren't you? There is no evidence this Corolla needs anything.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Transmission flushes are all the rage at service shops these days. The vast majority of cars don't need them.

Nowhere at the official Toyota site Toyota Parts and Service

does it require a transmission flush for a Corolla.

At 30K it says to inspect the transmission fluid. If there is a sign of a problem you should replace it. I doubt if they mean "flush" which uses a machine to completely replace the fluid.

I wouldn't trust a Meineke for anything but an oil change.

FWIW - I changed the transmission fluid on my wife's Pilot in 45 minutes. The fluid (4 qts of Honda fluid) cost $28. Honda does NOT specify a flush. They drain and refill. That replaces a little under half the total fluid.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:32 PM

272 posts, read 215,726 times
Half the fluid

Not in my car.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I personally would have the flush after 5 years to remove all the fluid and replace with new, it takes about three chnages in a row to do that otherwise.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:40 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default I once heard,

Of an old ancient transmission that had its' fluid change and then failed. However after the old fluid
was replaced back into the old tranny, it took off once again.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:05 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Of an old ancient transmission that had its' fluid change and then failed. However after the old fluid
was replaced back into the old tranny, it took off once again.
I heard someone saying they saw the Lizard Man near me.

Doesn't mean I bought it.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:50 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I heard someone saying they saw the Lizard Man near me.

Doesn't mean I bought it.
Do what the owners manual says its the manufactures car they know what's best for their cars, if they say change it at a certain mileage than change it, if it doesn't say anything than don't do it. People tend to waste money on their cars because they think that some mechanic that works on many brands says to do things that the manufacture says you ont have to, hey car makers know what's best for their cars they made them.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Do what the owners manual says its the manufactures car they know what's best for their cars, if they say change it at a certain mileage than change it, if it doesn't say anything than don't do it. People tend to waste money on their cars because they think that some mechanic that works on many brands says to do things that the manufacture says you ont have to, hey car makers know what's best for their cars they made them.
What do they care? If a transmission fails due to burnt fluid it'll likely be out of the warranty period anyways. They want you to ditch the car after 100k miles and buy another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive