Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:08 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times

Advertisements

Just a thought: I bet one of your best friends at work did this--just to see your reaction...a practical joke of sorts.

....nothing else makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:19 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
I was a Ford/Chrysler girl for YEARS. Then I bought a brannew Chrysler. Within 6 months the engine threw a rod. I had to wait six weeks for the engine to be shipped in - from JAPAN. American made? Bat guano.

When I wanted a pickup, I wanted one that had skid plates underneath, good gas mileage, and short on maintenance, long on life. My brother told me to look at Toyota. They were the only ones on which skid plates were included in the purchase price and not an add-on. My bro has driven Toyotas since 1985, and owns two trucks and a car. One of the older trucks he decided to make 4WD. He did it himself, in his driveway, over a weekend - and it powers through any and everything.

Sorry, but when American auto makers start giving people what they want, at prices they can afford, and stop selling cheap, plastic, dangerous junk that looks like everyone else's junk, I might listen. My Toyota beat out all of their trucks for safety and structural stability; you won't find "do not turn corners suddenly over 5 mph or this vehicle will flip' anywhere on MY visors. But ripping off their customers and then saying, "We don't understand why you don't love and trust us anymore!" with their hands out for a bailout, is as pathetic as the Welfare mama sucking dry the system, then blaming working people for driving up prices that she doesn't pay anyway. When you *********r customers, with a smile on your face and a song in your heart, don't blame anyone but yourselves when they don't come back.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:35 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

What are your thoughts? Do you think its wrong to buy imports new, or second hand? I still have two old American cars and a German car and a Japanese car. (be nice on your thoughts)
My thoughts? Some poser with an agenda put notes on cars. I doubt it was a "veteran." Even if it was, being a veteran isn't a free pass to have a bad attitude about free-market competition.

I'd tell them to get #$%^ed to their face if I caught them doing that to my car.

Consumer choices do not equal patriotism any more.

GM and Chrysler are sucking down billions of our dollars and we'll never see it again. Let them go and maybe something that isn't a total piece of crap will come from the ashes.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:03 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Just a thought: I bet one of your best friends at work did this--just to see your reaction...a practical joke of sorts.

....nothing else makes sense.
May be, but they pulled it on about 100 other employees, not to mention the customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
My thoughts? Some poser with an agenda put notes on cars. I doubt it was a "veteran."

I'd tell them to get #$%^ed to their face if I caught them doing that to my car.
Yeah, I never thought it was a veteran either. A joker I am sure.

Oh, alot of "businesses" are bad about coming round' and putting sales ads under windshield wipers... I remember on time they broke the wiper on my LS400... that cost me a good chunk of change. I was livid.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:59 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
You should find out who did that and ask them why. And where they got their info from.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,490 times
My father is a Vietnam Vet and for the longest time drove a Toyota Truck. The last he even had a little sticker of both the US flag and the VVA symbol. To me he earned the right to drive what ever he wanted.

Myself, even though I have two campaign medals (HA, take that Dad), I still will only drive an 'American' car. However, I think after my two newer fords die, I'm going back to driving older cars. Overall they are just cheaper.

Tennesseestorm - are you from PY?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Dodge Made in Canada///Chevy Made in Mexico!! Most cars that a labeled overseas Made in the USA!! Go figure LOL
My wifes Tahoe as well as my 2500 were both made in the U.S.A.. Also, I owned a Dodge Ram years ago that was made here. Seems like more American cars are made here than out of the country.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
...Chevy Made in Mexico!! Most cars that a labeled overseas Made in the USA!! Go figure LOL
Personally I've never owned a Chevrolet that was made outside of the US.

I think it's crappy that they are farming out work to foriegn nations....but what else are they supposed to do when the union employees demand so much in comparison to people in other countries?

And I find it highly ironic that the big 3 are farming work out to foreign countries and all the Foreign companies are setting up factories here in the US. It's a complete flip flop. We're about one generation away from calling Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc 'domestic brands'....and calling the products made by the Big3 "Foriegn Jobbies".

Old 05-11-2009, 07:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Doesnt matter what exact location the make/model is made. What matters is what PARENT company benefits from the sale. If its a Ford Focus made in Mexico, Ford in Detroit gets the buck. If its a Honda Civic made in Ohio, Honda in Japan gets the buck. There are many Fords built in America, many built elsewhere. There are several Hondas built here, many in Japan.

I used to buy mostly Japanese, but then you guess I could say I got tired of them (long story short). I know a few people who also recently went back to American cars because they got tired of supporting other countries' economies while their neighbors and millions of other Americans are standing in the unemployment line and are on the verge of losing everything.
If the "American" car you buy is built in Mexico how does that help the assembly line worker that has lost their job? Buying a Japanese car built here keeps them working....

I agree the end profit goes to Japan, but the end profit going to Detroit doesn't do that same worker any good if the wages paid go to a Mexican.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I think it's crappy that they are farming out work to foriegn nations....but what else are they supposed to do when the union employees demand so much in comparison to people in other countries?
While I concur I will say that this is really all about greed. Yes the Union man might want more in his pocket, but guess what....so does the job foreman. That's why you go to any jobsite and see a bunch of non english speaking illegal immigrants. Because the job foreman is making more money paying them chump change. Which is probably why America is so hated....because of all the greedy people that want more for less, eat too much food and drive gas guzzling vehicles to commute...one.

And yes what a shame it is to think of Chevy as a foreign car and Honda as an American car. I think from now on I'll stick with driving older cars that I know were built here in the United States, that have a frame underneath them, and don't cost me an arm and a leg to repair/pay to have repaired. Sounds like a win-win situation to me, who else is in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive