U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:07 AM

7,305 posts, read 26,284,546 times

Advertisements

Back in 2007, I had a 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4wd truck. Normally, I drove my "all-American" 1973 Pontiac to work, but that particular day I had drove my Toyota to work. When I came out to leave, I found this note under my wiper, as did everyone else there that drove a Japanese make vehicle. I thought it was rude, but I guess they think they have a valid point. What was funny though is that my truck was built in San Antonio Texas and you cant get more American than Texas. I wonder if some of these old timers even realize that most Japanese make cars are actually now made in America, or do they realize it and was doing this because buying Japanese cars/trucks are not supporting our country. On another note, I know alot of older gentlemen that were actually in WWII and drive Japanese or German cars.

Another funny thing is that I did not buy this truck new, so I was not contributing any money to a foreign country. The original owner did that.

This is the note that was on my truck and the same notes on ALL other Japanese cars in the parking lot that day... Has anyone else ever experienced this?

What are your thoughts? Do you think its wrong to buy imports new, or second hand? I still have two old American cars and a German car and a Japanese car. (be nice on your thoughts)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 AM

13,519 posts, read 36,581,175 times
Dodge Made in Canada///Chevy Made in Mexico!! Most cars that a labeled overseas Made in the USA!! Go figure LOL

I dont think your note came fron a Vet either! Just some rude troublemaker!

Old 05-10-2009, 12:19 AM

7,305 posts, read 26,284,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

I dont think your note came fron a Vet either! Just some rude troublemaker!

Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking then and now. Alot of us co-workers discussed it and all agreed that it was probably someone wanting to ruffle feathers.

I remember one of my friends that drives a Nissan said, "how rude".

Old 05-10-2009, 03:49 AM

3,503 posts, read 6,810,979 times
Funny.

Many a current Ford car is "Hecho en Mexico".

I also do not remember anyone complaining that a Mercury Villager had a Nissan drivetrain in it was assembled in Avon Lake, OH...

Nor do I hear all that much complaining that GM gave bailout money (about $1 billion worth) to the Brazilians (the Brazilians came clean on it) or that GM also makes NA market engines in Shanghai, China.

Your run of the mill Chevy Equinox has a Chinese-made 3.4L v6 and Japanese-made transmission while the 2003-2007 Saturn Vue had a Honda 3.5L v6 engine and transmission in it.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:41 AM

8,292 posts, read 25,229,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
What are your thoughts? Do you think its wrong to buy imports new, or second hand? I still have two old American cars and a German car and a Japanese car. (be nice on your thoughts)
First of all, I wouldn't bet that it was "old timers" who did this. Most older people are smarter than that.

That said, virtually all cars are global, regardless of their name. Company ownership is in one country, financing comes from another, parts are manufactured in another, and the cars are assembled in still another country.

There really is no such thing as a purely American made car anymore.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:42 AM

2,845 posts, read 9,964,407 times
Confusing, I can't figure out what exactly "we" won in 1941.....

In any case, it looks like buying American will translate to purchasing even more cars produced in Asia & Mexico in the coming years.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 73,866,795 times
Doesnt matter what exact location the make/model is made. What matters is what PARENT company benefits from the sale. If its a Ford Focus made in Mexico, Ford in Detroit gets the buck. If its a Honda Civic made in Ohio, Honda in Japan gets the buck. There are many Fords built in America, many built elsewhere. There are several Hondas built here, many in Japan.

I used to buy mostly Japanese, but then you guess I could say I got tired of them (long story short). I know a few people who also recently went back to American cars because they got tired of supporting other countries' economies while their neighbors and millions of other Americans are standing in the unemployment line and are on the verge of losing everything.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 AM

6,402 posts, read 9,692,539 times
Supporting American workers by buying American cars is a good idea. I am all for that, but how do you know that American car you buy was made in America? Buying an American car that was made in Mexico or India helps that company, not American workers. I would rather buy a Japanese car that was made in America.

Last edited by davidt1; 05-10-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 AM

4,709 posts, read 11,925,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Confusing, I can't figure out what exactly "we" won in 1941......
I agree, December 7, 1941 was a resounding defeat. 1942 wasn't much better. 1945 was when we "won".

But I wouldn't expect the meathead that wrote that note to know that.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:06 PM

9,874 posts, read 9,825,117 times
As a VN vet, and retired military, I object to that idiot lumping me in with him on that note.
Assuming whoever wrote the note is actually a veteran.
Regardless, THIS veteran doen't like being included!

By the way, I have two Jeeps, an AMC Eagle, and a Dodge truck (the Dodge was assembled in Mexico).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive