Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 PM
 
Location: The Circle City. Sometimes NE of Bagdad.
24,486 posts, read 26,028,848 times
Reputation: 59878

Advertisements

Ahemm, the OP has not visited the Auto form since May, 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Billings, MT
9,884 posts, read 10,985,486 times
Reputation: 14180
I have to wonder why so many people are Chevy fanatics!
Must be all youngsters, who don't remember the joys of modifying Ford/Mercury Flathead V8s!
Or never heard a Dodge big block (383/440) muttering down the street in a Coronet R/T.
or a Plymouth small block (273 Commando) screaming in a Barracuda.
With a little searching, there are lots of '50s/'60s/'70s cars and trucks out there that can be modified to your heart's content without worries about emissions or computers or any of the modern technological "advances".
Why, you can even buy a frame, a body, an electrical harness, and whatever engine your little heart desires and build you own custom vehicle!
All it takes is money.
and time.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM
 
774 posts, read 2,603,340 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
1.What resources should I go check out in order to learn on how to do it?

2.What car model is there would make you want to modify its engine?

3.I guess engine tuning and an engine swap is more like a hobby than anything else.

If you are looking for a car to modify then you should look one place. the 87-93 Fox body mustang. They made tons of them and they are still all over the place and very reasonable. A stroked 302 out to 331-347 with a simple turbo kit and some tuning will easily make 500 reliable HP. If you want to go beyond this it's recommended that you step up to an aftermarket block or swap in a 351 based motor.

They're light, cheap and can be stupid fast.. It's very easy to build a 10 second car for under 10K including the price of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
3,483 posts, read 9,023,943 times
Reputation: 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
If you are looking for a car to modify then you should look one place. the 87-93 Fox body mustang. They made tons of them and they are still all over the place and very reasonable. A stroked 302 out to 331-347 with a simple turbo kit and some tuning will easily make 500 reliable HP. If you want to go beyond this it's recommended that you step up to an aftermarket block or swap in a 351 based motor.

They're light, cheap and can be stupid fast.. It's very easy to build a 10 second car for under 10K including the price of the car.
But then you'd be stuck driving a Ford...I'd recommend the 82-92 F-Body instead. An all around more capable car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2013, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,237 posts, read 24,788,441 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I have to wonder why so many people are Chevy fanatics!
Must be all youngsters, who don't remember the joys of modifying Ford/Mercury Flathead V8s!
Or never heard a Dodge big block (383/440) muttering down the street in a Coronet R/T.
or a Plymouth small block (273 Commando) screaming in a Barracuda.
Because they can make the same hp for less, parts are more plentiful, they'll fit in darn near anything. Though I do like other engines. Flatheads, while cool are yesterdays news, almost like the traditional sbc. I'd rather build a 302 Ford before a flathead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
If you are looking for a car to modify then you should look one place. the 87-93 Fox body mustang. They made tons of them and they are still all over the place and very reasonable. A stroked 302 out to 331-347 with a simple turbo kit and some tuning will easily make 500 reliable HP. If you want to go beyond this it's recommended that you step up to an aftermarket block or swap in a 351 based motor.

They're light, cheap and can be stupid fast.. It's very easy to build a 10 second car for under 10K including the price of the car.
Don't forget S-10's,....they're light, everywhere, they'll take a V8 no problem, cheap, can be made fast for not much. Only difference is they're not as common as the Mustang plus you can use them to haul stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,046 posts, read 6,291,596 times
Reputation: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
1.What resources should I go check out in order to learn on how to do it?

2.What car model is there would make you want to modify its engine?

3.I guess engine tuning and an engine swap is more like a hobby than anything else.

1, there are lots of forums for various types of car makes with great tech help. Sites like thecv1channel.com for the canted valve Pontiac engines, performanceyears.com, the LS1forum for late model gm stuff, there is a bunch of Mopar and Ford forums also.

2, just any of them I have to live with in the driveway !!! LOL, well, it's the truth for me. Seriously though, what kind of cars do YOU like? Is it a V8 Firebird or Camaro? Maybe Mustang suits your liking better? Or maybe it's a Mopar, old ones are expensive, and frankly even their newer ones are. Most people will start with a older gm car, Firebird or Camaro, or a G-body made from 78 to 87, (grand prix, monte carlo, Malibu, olds cutlass, buick Regals ) as they are amoung the easest to learn engine swapping, and most times the lowly 3.8 v6 gets replaced by a V8.

3. yes they are because it's rare someone can do it and not spend money and sell it and make money back on it. It's a love to be quite honest about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top