Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times

Advertisements

I thought GM was trying to improve their reliability issues?

China can't even make dog food without killing.

GM plans China-made vehicles for U.S. mkt - paper | Industries | Consumer Goods & Retail | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Its a shame how our government has allowed all our manufacturing to be outsourced to China.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
somewhat misleading title. they already make the car there. they're gonna import it to here.

and the only people we have to blame for manufacturing being outsourced to China are the consumers who keep buying it.

Mike

Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,405 times
And an even bigger shame that we buy it. We have exactly the type of economy that we, collectively, asked for. And when American consumers buy the lowest price, as they did with Walmart, we are going to have the type of automotive market we, collectively, asked for.

I worked at a car dealer in Europe that also sold Tata (made in India) mopeds. One of the techs at this dealer had done a PDI--pre-delivery inspection--on a new Tata car at another dealership. When he went to roll up the driver side window, the window handle just spun. He took the door panel off and saw that the window regulator was missing. The assembly line had evidently run short of regulators, jammed a stick under the window glass and shipped it. And this is the factory.

I'd rather see GM dead and buried than building stuff in China.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:55 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
This is not new news.

GM has been making Buicks there for a little while.

Anything that uses the 3400 v6 engine has a Shanghai-made engine in it.

But, let's support our automakers, because that'll bring jobs back here.

We could touch on the reasons why GM did this--there are many--but, let's save that depressing topic for another day

Anybody who has ever ran a business for themselves in the USA and filed IRS forms 940 and 941 regularly (raises hand) knows how expensive a proposition that is.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Its a shame how our government has allowed all our manufacturing to be outsourced to China.
A bigger shame that our stupid government loans out hundreds of billions to banks/lending institutions who PUT THIS ENTIRE COUNTRY INTO THE PREDICAMENT ITS CURRENTLY IN but Obama, er, Osama makes the entire automotive industry jump through hoops for a few billion. We're watching American history go down the tubes one day at a time.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
But you have to look at just who Obama is backing'like giving Fiat that sweet deal in chrysler.Bit in the end no one else wanted it.Basically the big three are not really worth much;what GM selling for a dollar a share today.The unions got 50+% of a company going south.But then if it wasn't for the government thenthe big three would be having liquidatrion sales now.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
...and the only people we have to blame for manufacturing being outsourced to China are the consumers who keep buying it.
Ditto. It makes me laugh when people talk about how we live in this recession but fail to realize who put them in it. They send everything to China because they'll build it for a dollar when the American wants $10 to build it. Meanwhile the head honcho is pocketing the savings. Same reason why you see illegal immigrants roofing houses or laying bricks. But then when people buy these Chinese made goods it gives them a reason to keep building more. So lets keep giving Mexico and China all our money to build crap for pennies on the dollar, then cry about how there's no jobs here and how we're in an economic recession. Oh and I almost forgot....lets cry when that Chinese made car doesn't make it past 5 years and you have to buy a new one. See! They're getting smarter.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
P.S. I think this song sums it all up well...

YouTube - Shutting Detroit Down (My Tribute) HQ

Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Oh and I almost forgot....lets cry when that Chinese made car doesn't make it past 5 years and you have to buy a new one. See! They're getting smarter.
So basically no different from now except it's just cheaper?

Sign me up!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive