Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:40 PM

691 posts, read 1,427,040 times

Advertisements

This ******* porsche driver tried to intimidate this kid in an Altima, and the kid accidentally ran him over trying to get away. As a young driver myself, I hope this kid gets off scot free.

As for the guy who got killed, good riddance I say!

Porsche owner run over and killed after confronting fellow driver in deadly L.I. road rage

Quote:
A Long Island road rage incident exploded in deadly violence Friday when the hulking driver of a Porsche went ballistic on another motorist - and was run over, police said.
The 22-year-old driver of a rented Nissan Altima was in custody facing possible homicide charges, although a witness told the News the 34-year-old Porsche driver provoked the incident.
"The kid was in shock. He kept saying, 'I had no choice. I didn't know what to do,'" said John Messina, who was sitting in his AT&T store when he heard the fracas.
It started about 10 a.m. when the drivers got into a dispute near the intersection of National Blvd. and West Park Ave.
It was unclear what provoked the clash.
The driver of the yellow 1978 Porsche - described as well over 6 feet - got out of his car and began yelling at the younger man, Messina said.
The Altima driver made a turn to get away then made a U-turn, apparently to continue on his way. The Porsche driver blew a red light to block him off and jumped out of the sports car again, Messina said.
"It looked like he was going to rip the kid out of the car," Messina said, adding that the Porsche driver was banging on the hood of the other car.
He said the Altima driver tried to put the car into reverse but there was another vehicle behind him. He cut to the left and the victim jumped in front.
"Next thing you know, this guy just went down - wham!" Messina said.
The Altima ran completely over him.
"I heard his head rattling in the undercarriage," Messina said.
As the Porsche owner, a Long Beach resident, lay dying on the road, the Altima driver sped off but stopped a block away and got out of his car.
Messina, who had run after him, walked him back to police, who placed him under arrest.
Nassau County Dt. Lt. Kevin Smith said the police investigation determined there was "aggressive behavior" between the two drivers before the fatal confrontation.
At the intersection, he said, the man in the Porsche got out "extended his arms and made a statement. We believe it was a profanity."
That "prompted the guy in the Altima to gun up the gas" and hit the victim, Smith said.
Asked about Messina's account, Smith said there was cause to charge the 22-year-old.
"Whether he thought he was being threatened or not, he stepped on the gas and hit him and killed him," he said.
"Based on what happened here today it was necessary to arrest him."
The Porsche driver was pronounced dead at Long Beach Hospital. His name was not released.
The man in the Altima's name was being withheld until he could be charged.
Messina said he didn't believe the young man meant to kill the victim.
"I think the kid was trying to get away from him," he said. "The kid was cornered"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,220 times
Wow. Road rage is dangerous. I can't wait to move to a place where I don't have to drive anymore.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:22 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Even though it sounds like the man that perished was an out of control lunatic, I hate to hear it ended like that.

When will people ever learn that road rage has to stop?!

Dont they ever learn?!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Can't say I feel sorry[for the porsche driver]. People who act like that are no less thugs that some corner boy, and frankly I think the kid did the right thing...

Old 05-16-2009, 01:05 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Another example of what can happen when an initial and likely accidental incident that probably caused no real harm blossoms into someone becoming enraged and wanting revenge.
Sounds like maybe the Porsche guy was the enraged party and the kid was scared and acted out of panic.
Thats why I believe in "Fido" if there is no injury or damage resulting from someone making a driving mistake.
F-forget
I-it
D-drive
O-on

Live to drive another day. You never know the mental state of another driver or what kind of weapon they might have. An action that causes no real harm other than making you mad isn't worth losing your life for. But any person driving recklessly should be reported to local law enforcement just in case there might be a cop in the area who might be able to observe them.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:27 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
I agree too. Sounds like the kid had no choice and looks like the other guy got what was coming to him..

Old 05-16-2009, 01:49 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,105 times
jeez, when did a 22 year old MAN become a "kid"? but anyway, I don't think flat running over the porsche guy was an appropriate response-no matter how stupid the action was on the part of the porsche guy (standing IN FRONT of the car). If he was pointing a gun at the driver, hell yeah I would run over him in a second-but just ranting, yelling? lock the doors (which they should already be locked if you're smart) and drive past the guy, he can either get out of the way or hang on for a ride. I'm all about killing someone in self defense, but when confronted by an unarmed person and you're INSIDE YOUR CAR-there are MANY other options to use. I've been confronted by a road rager who ran up to my car, I just drove off-end of confrontation. And I carry a gun-don't want to use it but it's there if I REALLY need to-and ending a verbal dispute is not one of those times IN MY OPINION. If I'm cornered and can't get away and some guy has a gun outside my car-yeah I would start firing through my closed window, but otherwise he can try his best to beat his way inside my car (which is not an easy thing to do)-even ride on it while I'm driving away for all I care. But I'm not going to use deadly force and run over an unarmed man-not the smart thing to do. I think the "kid" should get a few years for manslaughter-he needs to learn to control his emotions.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:52 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Hey, this happened on Long Island....they're animals up there.

Heck, they trampled a guy to death trying to get into frickin' WALMART...FCOL!

Fuhgetaboutit

Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
I always carry a big knife and a crowbar in my vehicles. Soon I will have a pistol. I have been in a couple situations where lunatics have followed me and gotten out of their vehicles to confront. That is precisely how you get yourself killed, be it right or wrong Porsche man got what was comin.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:59 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDillon View Post
I am disgusted by what I am reading. This poor "kid" you refer to was anything but. You fail to mention the fact that his prior arrests range from drug possession to burglary. His traffic arrests include driving the wrong way and failing to yield to authorized vehicles. An innocent babe in the woods he was not. The driver of the porsche did not jump out of his car randomly to "menace" this poor innocent "kid". The incident was initiated blocks prior by the altima driver. Something else you failed to mention. I happen to be a friend of the victims family as well as the victim and can personally tell you that he was not the agressive type. This "kid" had to be driving like a real animal to get him out of the car int he first place. I am so sickened that you fell he got what was coming to him. You ignorant ass. Noone deserves to be run over and murdered and taken away from the people who love them. Anyone who says differently has a blatant disregard for human life, something you have in common with the altima driver. Who happened to flee the accident and only pulled over when he was apprehended by witnesses. These are real people, and everyone lost here. The "kid" is going to be doing some serious time and the victim is being buried tomorrow. Everyone lost. Both families. Try to remember that before making comments.
Just as you wouldn't go up to a lion and start kicking it, you don't walk up to someones car that you don't know and start provoking fear and anger in them. Never mess with dangerous things that are completely unpredictable to you. He certainly didn't deserve to die but he didn't expect to either. Hes the real dumbass... now a dead dumbass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive