Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
Wait a minute...you said my 3 or 4 thousand dollar estimate for a custom paint job "is a little low". I don't understand 'cause then you turned around and said "a couple of grand will do".

As far as my wants and needs are concerned, if I can get a really good custom paint job for around a thousand dollars or less, then I just might keep the car.

That's why I'm going to explore the option of having it custom painted in Tijuana, Mexico.
Paint jobs can range from cheap, to outragious..! I am restoring a car right now, and am getting quotes from 8 to 12 thousand dollars. That is removing the interior, all the window, including windshield and rear window, removing all the chrome, sota blasting, everything to do a custom, high dollar job.
To take a car like yours to a good quality body shop, they can do a really good job for 2-3 grand (without figuring any body damage, which would be more) , and it will be as good as it came from the factory, maybe better. then there are the cheapo shops, who swish a piece of sand paper over it, spray it and shove it out the door, starting at about $199. A good quality shop will pay more for materials than a complete paint job would cost at cheapo Charlies, and there is a reason...!
Those are the reasons I mentioned different prices in my first post, and said you have lots of options, depending on your wants and needs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 03:29 PM

22 posts, read 28,539 times
So if your wax jobs were a labor of love .why not fixin the rust a labor of love too.? Ive done tons of restores in my time and yours doesnt look too serious. Its realy not theat hard, can be done w/hand tools and doesnt have to be done all at once. In fact, Bondo has a book that can show you just how to do it. When the rust is repaired the paint wont cost that much.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Just be thankfull you live in the southwest where it's dry, here where I live in the humid southeast surface rust like that advances quickly.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 AM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
That's rust?

Hell, my pickup has more rust than paint or anything else for that matter...I can hear it crumbling every time I slam the door!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
that's rust?

Hell, my pickup has more rust than paint or anything else for that matter...i can hear it crumbling every time i slam the door!
lol

Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Paint jobs can range from cheap, to outragious..! I am restoring a car right now, and am getting quotes from 8 to 12 thousand dollars. That is removing the interior, all the window, including windshield and rear window, removing all the chrome, sota blasting, everything to do a custom, high dollar job.
To take a car like yours to a good quality body shop, they can do a really good job for 2-3 grand (without figuring any body damage, which would be more) , and it will be as good as it came from the factory, maybe better. then there are the cheapo shops, who swish a piece of sand paper over it, spray it and shove it out the door, starting at about $199. A good quality shop will pay more for materials than a complete paint job would cost at cheapo Charlies, and there is a reason...!
Those are the reasons I mentioned different prices in my first post, and said you have lots of options, depending on your wants and needs...
I've always wondered how much I could save if I stripped the car down for them, did the sanding myself and just let them do whatever final prep is needed before the paint.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
If you do the sanding yourself they are not likely to stand by their paint if you get rust spots a few months later. Stripping down the car as far as outside trim will give a better job, not not lower the price any. They just mask it all off.

Thing is the year is not really a collectible here, kinda the same value as a Mustang 2. The value I am sure to the owner is in memories. But if sold might bring in $1500, a better paint job might not even raise that much. I would do a search on ebay to see a average price on the year before I invested too much money. The big money is on the '60's and early '70's Mustangs with big blocks, a lot with pony interiors sell cheap still.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:58 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
I can't afford a $3000 or $4000 paint job.
Who the hell actually spends that much on paint? Those are numbers people throw out to appear to be Baller.

You can paint that car yourself for $50 & a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive