Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

I agree with all of the above, I have an '03 Dodge-Cummins, IIRC 300HP, 550 ft-lbs stock. Performance is fine, mileage runs in the low 20's unloaded (again, not bad for a 7000# rig) and plenty of torque for pulling or carrying a load, it doesn't notice hills. The fuel cost differnce between diesel and gas is only about $.10 per gallon in my area now (was upwards of $1.00 a year ago).

The other factor in diesel's favor ( at least in trucks) is longevity. Mean time between rebuilds on the Cummins is around 400k miles.

I wish I could get a smaller diesel in a 1/2 ton truck or passanger car. The only way I see the new mileage standards being met is with diesel.

The fundamental advantage to diesels is much higher compression ratios, better allowing the energy potential of the fuel to be used. In addition, diesels don't waste power pulling a vacuum when running at less than full load.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I've been doing some research on possible future cars, and found out about the Grand Cherokee CRD (Common Rail Diesel). Not only does it offer superior fuel economy to the gasoline engine, but also it has tons of torque!

Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with diesels, which brings up a lot of questions.

1. What are the main differences between a gasoline and diesel engine?
2. Also, the diesel engine is only rated at 215 hp. Will it be a slow SUV (sorry if this is a dumb question, I just don't get why the rating is so low)?
3. What are the benefits of owning a diesel besides the increased fuel econonmy, if any? What are the drawbacks?
4. Does anyone here own a Grand Cherokee CRD?

Thanks for the replies in advance!

Yes, the diesel has increased fuel economy, but...

Don't know about where you live, but here in Alaska diesel is exactly $1.00 per gallon more costly than unleaded gas. Basically this negates the advantage altogether of owning a diesel. (not to mention they are several thousand $$$ more costly to begin with) And make a heck of a lot more noise. Think I'll just stick with gas for now...

Bud

Old 05-21-2009, 05:26 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Yes, the diesel has increased fuel economy, but...

Don't know about where you live, but here in Alaska diesel is exactly $1.00 per gallon more costly than unleaded gas. Basically this negates the advantage altogether of owning a diesel. (not to mention they are several thousand $$$ more costly to begin with) And make a heck of a lot more noise. Think I'll just stick with gas for now...

Bud
They aren't for everyone. If you keep your vehicles a long time, drive a lot of miles or tow they ARE worth it , even with the price of diesel being more.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Go to a place where diesels are common and that is about all you smell in the air;burnt diesel.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Go to a place where diesels are common and that is about all you smell in the air;burnt diesel.

Again, if you understand the nature of the beast, what you are smelling is UN burnt Diesel.

As the technology advances, you'll smell less and less. As well as hear less and less. I'd be willing to bet many of you have been right beside a late model VW or Benz with a Diesel and didnt even notice that it was a Diesel.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 PM

493 posts, read 665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I've been doing some research on possible future cars, and found out about the Grand Cherokee CRD (Common Rail Diesel). Not only does it offer superior fuel economy to the gasoline engine, but also it has tons of torque!

Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with diesels, which brings up a lot of questions.

1. What are the main differences between a gasoline and diesel engine?
2. Also, the diesel engine is only rated at 215 hp. Will it be a slow SUV (sorry if this is a dumb question, I just don't get why the rating is so low)?
3. What are the benefits of owning a diesel besides the increased fuel econonmy, if any? What are the drawbacks?
4. Does anyone here own a Grand Cherokee CRD?

Thanks for the replies in advance!
Diesel is a totally appropriate type of engine for that kind of rig. Plenty of torque to haul it's carcass around without strain. The reason the HP is not impressive looking compared to a gasoline engine is because diesels can't rev as high as gas engine, and HP is merely a derivative of the relationship between torque and RPM. High torque and high revs = high HP (basically), and as mentioned, diesels don't rev very high, but they feel just as powerful in normal day to day RPM ranges. Possibly even more powerful. Even a Corvette Z06 doesn't really make 505 hp unless you're up around 6000 rpms with your foot to the floor. Driving around town the engine is producing much less power than that. The point is don't get too caught up in funny numbers and let it dictate anything in this case.

The only thing with diesels are that they're slightly less user friendly as gas engines. Sometimes they require special care if it get's too cold out, they take longer to warm up, you have to let the ignition system heat for a few seconds before you crank the engine (the "glow plugs"). Just small considerations that shoudn't detract from the benefits.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times
When my wife and I drove OTR for an expediting company we started with the Dodge Sprinter which has a Mercedes diesel and was a full size cargo van. We got 28mpg and avg. 24mpg loaded, but very expensive to operate.

Then we bought an 05 Chevy 2500 cargo van with the Duramax diesel and it was quiet, powerful and made 21 to24mpg and inexpensive to operate. The thing I did not like was changing the water/fuel filter cause nobody had them in stock and we traveled the whole U.S. They were to be changed every 50,000 miles at 300.00 installed and we put close to 50,000 miles on every 6 months.

I would buy another one too.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
^ What made the Sprinter so expensive to operate?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:54 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
^ What made the Sprinter so expensive to operate?
Mercedes parts. We had a rearend go out at 130,000 miles that cost 2500.00 compared to about 700.00 for Chevy. Brakes were 450.00 per axle, transmission was 7,000.00. It was German made and a lot of major parts had to be shipped over from Germany.

My rack steering went out at 48,000 miles and cost 2200.00. The high mpg and stand up room was not worth it. Also paid 34,000.00/each for 3 Sprinters with no discounts and some of the worst service anywhere in the country.

Oil changes were normal at 90.00 but had to have a special tech to do it and usually a several day waiting period to get in no matter what state you were in. Our Chevy you could go to any place to change, even Walmart.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:17 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
It seems like a lot of diesel owners actually learn how to do all the maintence themselves. It's hard to find a really good diesel mechanic at a dealer. With so many dedicated websites for each vehicle it is easy to find answers to many questions.

I frequent these sites.

Turbo Diesel Register

Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive