Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times

Advertisements

I'm pushing 200,000 on my '03 Focus. It's time for a routine engine oil change, and I'm strongly considering doing the tranny (automatic) as well.

There are no problems with the tranny (I just returned from a 1,000+ mile trip). It shifts fine. The fluid is a nice color, isn't low, and doesn't smell scorched. I just want to do the maintenance so that I know exactly where I'm at (I bought the car last year, so I don't know exactly how many miles are on the current tranny fluid & filter).

If this was your car, would you do a fully tranny flush? Drain & fill? Or would you drop the pan, change the filter, and replace the fluid yourself?

I'm leaning toward the full flush, but am interested in your opinions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:13 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I would do several drain and fills over the course of maybe 5,000 miles.

200k on a Focus, that's impressive.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
With that high milage, I would say no to a flush. Drain, clean filter and refill.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:04 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
years ago while in an automotive program, our trans teacher suggested that flushes made sense from the start; but he didn't really recommend we did them on our cars if they already were at 100k+. Something about the potential for dislodging something that may be imbedded in seals and gaskets that could actually cause more of an issue then if they were left ( ie leakage, etc ). Now this was near 30 yrs ago, well before front drive and electronic controlled trannys. So it's very possible things are different now.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
years ago while in an automotive program, our trans teacher suggested that flushes made sense from the start; but he didn't really recommend we did them on our cars if they already were at 100k+. Something about the potential for dislodging something that may be imbedded in seals and gaskets that could actually cause more of an issue then if they were left ( ie leakage, etc ). Now this was near 30 yrs ago, well before front drive and electronic controlled trannys. So it's very possible things are different now.
I think you're right.

I've had tranny flushes done on several vehicles over the years, but they were all obviously in need of help. And while the tranny flush helped in all cases, it also caused some leakage in a couple of the vehicles.

Though I can't verify it, I've heard that some shops use a solvent/detergent in their flushing process. This concerns me on a tranny that currently has no problems at all.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:44 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I'm a retired mechanic from the oLD school "if it ain't broke...don't fix it".

Learned from a old master mechanic (my dad)...never screw with something that seems to be working fine...sure as heck you will bugger it up. I being a young married person (no experience)...dad would adjust my carb to where I was getting good gas mileage...me a smart ass at the time would mess with the mixture screw and mess it all up. He told me to leave it alone and he was correct. Took me a while over the yrs but I did eventually learned the fine techniques required.

Same goes with a engine with a lot of miles that does not burn any oil etc. Flush it out and all the small crannys that are sealed will definetly start to leak and the headache arrives.

Same with a radiator flush...you can loosen material around the head gasket and head resulting in a small to large eventual leak problem.

Learned many many moons ago to use a garden hose filling the radiator from the top...lower hose removed and the engine running after being warmed up...thus circualating the water flow thruout the engine until water is clear and not rusty appearing. Then turn off the engine ...replace lower radiator hose...tighten clamp and refill with antifreeze which should help to make a clean/cool and good running engine.

A clean engine internally (water and oil) is a HEALTHY ENGINE.

Steve

Old 05-22-2009, 01:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
My experiance is to flush it on a regular milage time period from new but if you don't it's better not to do it after a bunch of miles, My truck had 80,000 on it and I had it flushed and then came problem after problem, sometimes it just wouldn't even move, a trans shop told me a flush after so many miles can dislarge debri which ends up in the valves and causes them to stick.
I had it flushed agian by the shop and all is well except some whining noise when it's cold.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:24 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm pushing 200,000 on my '03 Focus. It's time for a routine engine oil change, and I'm strongly considering doing the tranny (automatic) as well.

There are no problems with the tranny (I just returned from a 1,000+ mile trip). It shifts fine. The fluid is a nice color, isn't low, and doesn't smell scorched. I just want to do the maintenance so that I know exactly where I'm at (I bought the car last year, so I don't know exactly how many miles are on the current tranny fluid & filter).

If this was your car, would you do a fully tranny flush? Drain & fill? Or would you drop the pan, change the filter, and replace the fluid yourself?

I'm leaning toward the full flush, but am interested in your opinions. Thanks!
Changing the filter is not necessary these days.

I just did a flush on my 03 F150 (now at 141,000+ miles) and other than that stupid dipstick o-ring leak, it works fine. No filter change. In my case, I think the trans has to come up to even get the pan off to get to that filter. That's a ton more money for no better result.

The shop I went to did their first power flush on a similar year F150 and their check of the filter backed that up. They were shocked, too.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,211 times
my 2001 sport trac ford explorer now has 260000 miles the auto trans is starting to slip some just when it starts then when the oil gets hot then it is okay now my question is would it help it if i changed the oil filter on it now or would it hurt it?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaguilar View Post
my 2001 sport trac ford explorer now has 260000 miles the auto trans is starting to slip some just when it starts then when the oil gets hot then it is okay now my question is would it help it if i changed the oil filter on it now or would it hurt it?
Change the fluid and filter. However, at 260K miles, I would stay away from a flush. With mileage that high a flush could dislodge a tiny piece of plastic or metal and cause it to clog a passage. Then you'd really be in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive